Giants ModHub Rating System Suggestions

Guil

Re: Giants ModHub Rating System Suggestions

Post by Guil »

Helazak wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 6:42 am Found this thread because I couldn't figure out how to rate a mod. The "you can only rate it if you have downloaded it" was a hint to look in game at the individual mods. How disapointing that I can only rate 1-5 stars. I want to make a comment or at least have different aspects of the mod to rate. For exmaple Just exprimented with Mod weeders. I absolutely love the idea of the EGXTEND XPOWER mod that uses electricity to zap the weeds. Very eco friendly and can kill large weeds. However, it only works at 2mph has an unknown working width but GPS detected it as 1m. And Courseplay and Giants AI do not recognize it as an attachment so you have to do your whole field by hand, 1m at a time at 2mph. That is an epic fail in my book but a great idea. But how do I convey that to the modder?
IMHO if it is in Modhub it should have a thread in the forum for discussion. I can't give constructive feedback if there is no place to do it.
You could create a thread in modhub bug reports if 1 doesn't exist or search on this forum or Discord for the modder.
viewforum.php?f=966

Some modders do create a feedback thread themselves, I don't agree that creating one automatically is the answer either because 90% of the time if someone can't see a relevant thread in the first couple of threads they will just create a new one.
Dorsai

Post by Dorsai »

I rate mods on usage only. The more i use the probability of receiving appropriate stars. Y'all have a pleasant day!
Back in the day:
Owner/operator L Lazy M Hereford Ranch
Plays FS22 on a pc
"Put on a cowboy hat lose your mind" :hi:
Crashmac

Post by Crashmac »

Great idea, I generally prefer to use a mod for a bit before I rate it which leads to sometimes forgetting.
mydixiewrecked

Post by mydixiewrecked »

I try and download and rate right away. It's not a fair review, but since rating is tied to number of downloads for compensation to modders, why not give them 5 stars. I remember Ajfarmer saying how much he gets based on so many downloads. He wasn't complaining just being transparent. If it's worth me downloading, I'd prefer they get the best rating payout. The number of downloads will even it all out. That's just my tactic, otherwise I'd never rate anything as I'd get lost in stuff I don't use for awhile
Helazak

Post by Helazak »

mydixiewrecked wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 12:30 am …I remember Ajfarmer saying how much he gets based on so many downloads. He wasn't complaining just being transparent. If it's worth me downloading,
That is good to know. I need to do some rating as a thank you.
FS22 on PC, FS14, FS16, FS20 on iPhone Not a gamer. Most gamer jargon goes over my head.
Started playing for the education about farming.

Amateur (noob) Farmer 5 mostly forested acres
Tractor: Kubota M4900 (54HP), w/ Loader bucket and forks
Attachments: log splitter, Chipper/shredder, finish mower, scrape blade, rock rake, double moldboard plow, rototiller, Garden Bedder
LittleWatt

Post by LittleWatt »

Rating systems are a broken mess just about anywhere. This is especially true of an archaic 5 star rating system. I would prefer a more comprehensive 10 star rating. I’ll be very clear, noting gets a 5 star rating from me. Period. That would be perfect and that’s not possible. Additionally, the rating system never reflects the actual quality of the product, it’s more “friendship ratings” or “popularity ratings” than anything constructive. I’ve used many highly rated mods that are simply broken or aren’t AI friendly or don’t do what is described, field rollers are notoriously bad on the ModHub, same with some notable potato harvesting mods.

As for modders not having a thread for their stuff of this forum so they can get feedback, well, that’s a them problem.

As for feedback to mod authors, I would say getting full sentences instead of stars is far more beneficial. Modders should be proud of their work, and their work should reflect some pride. Good is good, bad is bad, junk is junk. Nothing like someone saying hey, fantastic work, maybe a tweak here or there. Or, broken garbage take it down and try again. Or at least test it thoroughly. Modding is hard work, and takes a lot of time. Mistakes will be made. Getting feedback is much better than a star for your forehead.
UncleRico

Post by UncleRico »

The problem with feedback is someone has to monitor that. I would argue being able to say “broken garbage” is far more abusable than the star rating system. if I don’t personally like something based off style I don’t rate it anymore. If I find the concept nice I try it out and rate it. If I like it and it has no issues it gets five. If it has minor issues it gets a four. If it has moderate problems it gets a three. Issues that are stopping play it gets a 2.And if it makes the game unplayable is gets a one
michele1048

Post by michele1048 »

hello, the problem of mod evaluations, despite changing the methods, remains and the reasons are many, among which many people download tons of mods as if there were no tomorrow and are not very interested in evaluating them and in any case the evaluation is subjective because everyone has their own tastes personal. given the good functioning of the mod, the rest depends on your taste. In my opinion the ratings should be eliminated
Helazak

Post by Helazak »

As a former programmer I would expect that a modder would really appreciate knowledge of problems with their code. i know I would. You need to have tough skin cuz people tend to be unkind when things dont work but that is better than thinking your baby is beautiful when every body else thinks it is ugly. I want to know how to imporove it.

Currently the system gives no possibility of constructive feedback. Even the iTunes store lets you give stars and comments.
FS22 on PC, FS14, FS16, FS20 on iPhone Not a gamer. Most gamer jargon goes over my head.
Started playing for the education about farming.

Amateur (noob) Farmer 5 mostly forested acres
Tractor: Kubota M4900 (54HP), w/ Loader bucket and forks
Attachments: log splitter, Chipper/shredder, finish mower, scrape blade, rock rake, double moldboard plow, rototiller, Garden Bedder
mydixiewrecked

Post by mydixiewrecked »

It will never be perfect. It's unbelievable the number of comments from ppl saying a mod was "broken" because a simple feature was missing. Agro Tonho update for the Silverado. The tonneau cover doesn't show up. The truck works fine, youtube comments, broken mod, Agro Tonho mods are trash etc. I'm sure they gave a realistic assessment if they gave a rating.🙄
norfolk farmer

Post by norfolk farmer »

For me the current system is worthless, If you take maps as an example I've seen a map being rated within minutes of release how it is possible to form a fair opinion in that short space of time is beyond me unless the map crashes upon loading. The other issue with maps is I've a feeling sometimes a map can get an unfair rating just because it is not something that suits a particular players wants for example a small field map designed for small equipment can get a low rating from someone who wants big fields. The last thing i consider when choosing mods is how they are rated.
blue_painted

Post by blue_painted »

norfolk farmer wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:15 am For me the current system is worthless, If you take maps as an example I've seen a map being rated within minutes of release how it is possible to form a fair opinion in that short space of time is beyond me unless the map crashes upon loading. The other issue with maps is I've a feeling sometimes a map can get an unfair rating just because it is not something that suits a particular players wants for example a small field map designed for small equipment can get a low rating from someone who wants big fields. The last thing i consider when choosing mods is how they are rated.
I'm with you on this ... but it does suggest a cunning plan to me ... :mrgreen:

You have a small number of categories for rating, for example
  • Error free
  • Visual appeal
  • Conflict free
  • Accuracy to real-world
  • How much it fits my play-style
And from there, calculate the overall rating but silently ignore the "How much it fits my play-style" :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Playing new "Beest" Intel i7-11700F with GeForce GTX 3060 and XBOX controller
also £600 laptop - AMD Ryzen 5600H with GeForce GTX 3050 XBOX controller

Dairydeere's A Guide to Finding Farming Simulator Mods - Please give this a read and help spread awareness for respectful mod downloads
norfolk farmer

Post by norfolk farmer »

blue_painted wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 12:48 pm

I'm with you on this ... but it does suggest a cunning plan to me ... :mrgreen:

• Conflict free
Well Baldrick conflict free could open quite the can of worms :lol: