Develop Mods on Mac

Your forum for all discussions around Modding.
Voliteon

Develop Mods on Mac

Post by Voliteon »

Hello,

How do i proceed to develop/create mods on a Mac please?

Thank you.
LS-Lara

Re: Develop Mods on Mac

Post by LS-Lara »

As you have probably already noticed and seen on GDN, all relevant development softwares provided by Giants are suitable for the Windows platform only. Assuming your modding ambitions are exceeding the intention to only change a few lines of XML code, you will need some of them. Foremost the Giants Editor.

So, you have to look into either a dual-boot system or a virtual machine allowing you to run Windows on your machine. There do also exist some WINE-based emulators, allowing to run Win applications under MacOS. But considering the very special nature of the Giants tools, I have some strong doubts that this will be easy to get running - especially as there are some interlinks with the system installation of the FS itself. Maybe someone has some practical experience on those.
Der Sinn des Lebens ist:
29.61%

Mein Traktor:
Base:
HP Pavilion 690-03xx
Core i7-8700 @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
2x Benq GL2450H
Windows 10 Home 64bit
Custom:
2 x 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 C16 XMP 2.0
Samsung NVMe M.2 970 EVO Plus 500GB
Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB
Logitech G203 Prodigy
Logitech Wireless F710
Tiredasagiraffe

Re: Develop Mods on Mac

Post by Tiredasagiraffe »

The options are limited when it comes to creating mods on Mac.
If you have an Intel Mac you can create a dual boot system and then effectively you're working on a PC.
But, if you have moved to Apple silicon then that option no longer exists as Bootcamp is no longer supported.
I've tried several virtual machines, VMWare, Parallels and VirtualBox and have had no success getting GE to run.

The only part of the modding process I've found that you are currently able to do on Mac will be the modelling in Blender and xml editing with software like Brackets or Visual Studio Code.

A Mac version of GE has been the holy grail for us Mac users for a very long time. :smileynew: