Precision Farming Help Please

combine2988

Precision Farming Help Please

Post by combine2988 »

So i went a little crazy with spreading slurry on my fields i spread it after harvest and after planting and now my nitrogen is to much and i can't get in back to the red i tried planting soybeans for a few harvest and it's still green, So can anyone help me? i just what to know how i can get rid of all the nitrogen in my fields i would hate to start PF all over because i got all my fields to 100
UncleRico

Re: Precision Farming Help Please

Post by UncleRico »

combine2988 wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 6:04 pm So i went a little crazy with spreading slurry on my fields i spread it after harvest and after planting and now my nitrogen is to much and i can't get in back to the red i tried planting soybeans for a few harvest and it's still green, So can anyone help me? i just what to know how i can get rid of all the nitrogen in my fields i would hate to start PF all over because i got all my fields to 100
Soybeans don’t take nitrogen out of the ground they actually take it out of the air and put some back in the ground. Try planting corn or wheat.
combine2988

Post by combine2988 »

ok i'll try that thank you
michfarmer56

Post by michfarmer56 »

Wheat or Canola will reduce the nitrogen the most, corn is also an effective crop to reduce nitrogen in the ground.

Slurry is not the best option for PF, the controls for the application rate only take into account the soil type, and not the crop that is or will be planted. To ensure you get the correct nitrogen application every time with PF, use a sprayer with crop sensors and only fertilize after the field has been planted.

I have used digestate, only because its a free byproduct from my BGA, on the highest nitrogen requirement crops like wheat, canola, and corn. This only helps reduce the amount of liquid fertilizer I use after planting, effectively saving a little money.
NDDan

Post by NDDan »

Wheat and canola are good suggestions. Also, grass. It doesn’t take out nearly as much, but you can cut thrice a year and it isn’t negatively affected by over fertilization.
There’s no place like utopia.
dogwalker1

Post by dogwalker1 »

combine2988 wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 6:04 pm i just what to know how i can get rid of all the nitrogen in my fields i would hate to start PF all over because i got all my fields to 100
Perhaps I'm missing something here, but how is your nitrogen being at 100 a problem? Most crops in most soil types need that much or more... Just avoid the few crop & soil combos that require less AND don't like overfertilizing until you get it sorted out. In case you haven't seen it, on the Steam forum in the Guides section, Gameplay Basics, there is a guide named "Nitrogen Table (Precision Farming)" that should tell you all you need to know about how much nitrogen is needed for each crop in each soil type, how much each crop will consume in each soil type, and which crops can be overfertilized without penalty.
combine2988

Post by combine2988 »

I'm trying to get rid of all the nitrogen to plant my soybeans it's my biggest field with all that nitrogen my yield is getting bad going from green to yellow i'm losing so much money right now i hope my farm doesn't go under i really messed up, Thanks for all the help
dogwalker1

Post by dogwalker1 »

combine2988 wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 7:43 pm I'm trying to get rid of all the nitrogen to plant my soybeans it's my biggest field with all that nitrogen my yield is getting bad going from green to yellow i'm losing so much money right now i hope my farm doesn't go under i really messed up, Thanks for all the help
While soybeans do not require or consume nitrogen they can be 'overfertilized' without penalty. Other crops with the OVERFERT characteristic include potatoes, sugarbeets, poplar and grass. You can go ahead and plant soybeans... and if you ever decide to grow something else in that field that nitrogen will still be there for it. See here:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/ ... 2885163905
Guil

Post by Guil »

combine2988 wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 7:43 pm I'm trying to get rid of all the nitrogen to plant my soybeans it's my biggest field with all that nitrogen my yield is getting bad going from green to yellow i'm losing so much money right now i hope my farm doesn't go under i really messed up, Thanks for all the help
It's not really possible to lose your farm or not be able to make money so don't fret. Even if you don't get top dollar for the crop, you will still make a lot.

dogwalker1 wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:00 pm
While soybeans do not require or consume nitrogen they can be 'overfertilized' without penalty. Other crops with the OVERFERT characteristic include potatoes, sugarbeets, poplar and grass. You can go ahead and plant soybeans... and if you ever decide to grow something else in that field that nitrogen will still be there for it. See here:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/ ... 2885163905
Thanks for the table, really helps.