Dangerous mods!

UncleRico

Dangerous mods!

Post by UncleRico »

There’s quit the battle going on right now between paywalls modders and mod leakers in the American modding community right now. Last night someone took it a step further and wrote some code to basically remove FS from your pc and hid it in a mod. They then posted it to several of the large mod sharing sites and now it’s making the rounds. Use caution when downloading anything from anywhere right now. This is the post I stumbled across this morning.
SOMETHING REALLY IMPORTNAT FOR THE REGULAR FS PLAYER!!!

Recently there was a huge mod leaking that is still going, but thats not the important part here.

The important part is that someone made a specific lua script and added it to those leaked mods and this LUA script will delete your savegames, mod folder and couple more stuff. Be very careful when you download a mod from a 3rd party website. This will mostly affect regular fs players that have no clue what is going on and even know that those mods are leaked.

Share this post, becuase people don't deserve their game to be ruined just because some community drama that they don't participate in or even know about it!

Posting the account that has the mods confirmed to be uploaded with that lua script, as well as a pic from the script itself.

Every mod by this account: https://www.modhub.us/user/MrAJDeere
Has the script in it!
Be aware, other modsites will reupload those stuff, since most of them use automatic bots.

The script in question is called "WindrowerExt".
Here’s a link to the posters page

https://m.facebook.com/crownzilla911
mydixiewrecked

Re: Dangerous mods!

Post by mydixiewrecked »

What's wrong with ppl? Good job keeping track of this nonsense. That would really stink thinking your gonna unwind and play some farming, only to realize everything is gone.
blue_painted

Post by blue_painted »

Interesting.

It seems from a bit of Googling that this has been going on for several months, if not a year or more. Reddit has one or two threads on the issue.

I did try a mod from Mr A J Deere, and yes there's a windrower script included. It's a bit of a half-bottomed (or half-donkey) implementation since there's a missing sound file which might just cripple the script but even so . . .

Presumably this is done to punish people who download from unapproved sites or even -- regardless of legality -- to punish people who have circumvented mod paywalls.

For the avoidance of doubt, consoles that can only download from GIANTS Modhub should be immune -- unless GIANTS testers really fall down on the job!
Playing new "Beest" Intel i7-11700F with GeForce GTX 3060 and XBOX controller
also £600 laptop - AMD Ryzen 5600H with GeForce GTX 3050 XBOX controller

Dairydeere's A Guide to Finding Farming Simulator Mods - Please give this a read and help spread awareness for respectful mod downloads
UncleRico

Post by UncleRico »

blue_painted wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 9:30 pm Interesting.

It seems from a bit of Googling that this has been going on for several months, if not a year or more. Reddit has one or two threads on the issue.

I did try a mod from Mr A J Deere, and yes there's a windrower script included. It's a bit of a half-bottomed (or half-donkey) implementation since there's a missing sound file which might just cripple the script but even so . . .

Presumably this is done to punish people who download from unapproved sites or even -- regardless of legality -- to punish people who have circumvented mod paywalls.

For the avoidance of doubt, consoles that can only download from GIANTS Modhub should be immune -- unless GIANTS testers really fall down on the job!
The Mr Aj Deere is a shot at the leaker who goes by AJ Deere he’s leaked some of the mods and his change.org petition for giants to do something about all the pay walled modders. The petition here https://www.change.org/p/stop-allowing- ... -simulator seems to have struck a nerve as this game deleting mod came a day later. At best it’s a good lesson not to download from unverified sources. Unfortunately I’m pretty sure most of the people who’ll be affected have no idea what’s going on and probably don’t deserve it, which is why I shared it. It’s some interesting stuff to read if you get entertained by elementary school maturity level back and forths and insults. It’s definitely a problem though as some of the mods are just converted works from other modders being charged for. One I saw pop up that many will be familiar is lone oak by bulletbill. Though all the stuff related to that has gone the way of the dinosaur as I don’t see it anymore.
Dorsai

Post by Dorsai »

Thanks for the information!
Back in the day:
Owner/operator L Lazy M Hereford Ranch
Plays FS22 on a pc
"Put on a cowboy hat lose your mind" :hi:
UncleRico

Post by UncleRico »

No problem! So apparently a someone leaks their own mod with a script to wipe your game and now someone removed the script and reposted it, effectively safely leaking the mod… I’m not sure what to think anymore besides that’s pretty funny and as far as intelligence goes, I fear for the future.
Derplodactyl

Post by Derplodactyl »

The change.org petition is pointless. Giants disallow any form of paid mods, and actively hand out cease and desist takedowns on these mods. If people want to be so hell bent as to make their mods paid and reinvent the wheel to do so (little bit like Crownzilla, as well as others), well people will be people, but they're a modder that's pretty much good for the bin.

Back on topic for the malicious script, if anything it adds to the argument that these 3rd party sites are the shady back streets that they are, and stick to the ModHub. ;)
- James G | Derplodactyl (The Jaggler)
- Giants Ambassador 🇬🇧
- PC & Xbox One

PC Specs:
-AsRock B550M Extreme4 Steel Legend
-AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
-EVGA RTX 3080Ti XC3 Ultra
-Corsair 32GB DDR4 @3600MHz
-1TB Samsung 970 Evo Pro M.2 + 256gb NVMe Storage
UncleRico

Post by UncleRico »

Derplodactyl wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 12:34 pm The change.org petition is pointless. Giants disallow any form of paid mods, and actively hand out cease and desist takedowns on these mods. If people want to be so hell bent as to make their mods paid and reinvent the wheel to do so (little bit like Crownzilla, as well as others), well people will be people, but they're a modder that's pretty much good for the bin.

Back on topic for the malicious script, if anything it adds to the argument that these 3rd party sites are the shady back streets that they are, and stick to the ModHub. ;)
I think they’re doing it to get Giants attention. The patreon thing has really taken off as of late. I’m not really sure why but from what I’ve checked out that was leaked, most these guys are operating off photoshop. Most of those paid mods are error ridden, bloated, look pretty rough, and in some cases all three. It’s essentially a scam which is sad. There’s a few that have good quality work but for the most part it’s a photoshop scam. Moral of the story should be don’t buy mods, they’re most likely not worth it or are someone else’s work being sold.
blue_painted

Post by blue_painted »

UncleRico wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 1:59 pm
Derplodactyl wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 12:34 pm The change.org petition is pointless. Giants disallow any form of paid mods, and actively hand out cease and desist takedowns on these mods. If people want to be so hell bent as to make their mods paid and reinvent the wheel to do so (little bit like Crownzilla, as well as others), well people will be people, but they're a modder that's pretty much good for the bin.

I think they’re doing it to get Giants attention. The patreon thing has really taken off as of late. I’m not really sure why but from what I’ve checked out that was leaked, most these guys are operating off photoshop. Most of those paid mods are error ridden, bloated, look pretty rough, and in some cases all three. It’s essentially a scam which is sad. There’s a few that have good quality work but for the most part it’s a photoshop scam. Moral of the story should be don’t buy mods, they’re most likely not worth it or are someone else’s work being sold.
What do you mean "photoshop scam"? Is it where the screenshots of the mod have been photoshopped to look better?

Dairydeere's A Guide to Finding Farming Simulator Mods - Please give this a read and help spread awareness for respectful mod downloads
UncleRico

Post by UncleRico »

blue_painted wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 2:32 pm
What do you mean "photoshop scam"? Is it where the screenshots of the mod have been photoshopped to look better?
Either photoshop or taking some really well set up glamour shots. A good example are the crownzilla ones derplodactyl spoke of. His previous screen shots looked pretty great on his Facebook page but if you put them in game they look straight out of fs15. His stuff used to be free which is how I know. Now he’s got some loophole where the mod is free but you have to buy the model and drag a file in so the exterior of the vehicle shows up. You have to pay $24.00 to get the model file for one car or truck so more than a dlc haha
blue_painted

Post by blue_painted »

UncleRico wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 3:02 pm
blue_painted wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 2:32 pm
Either photoshop or taking some really well set up glamour shots. A good example are the crownzilla ones derplodactyl spoke of. His previous screen shots looked pretty great on his Facebook page but if you put them in game they look straight out of fs15. His stuff used to be free which is how I know. Now he’s got some loophole where the mod is free but you have to buy the model and drag a file in so the exterior of the vehicle shows up. You have to pay $24.00 to get the model file for one car or truck so more than a dlc haha
I had a quick look -- seems to be all cars and lorries, not really FarmSim, so I'd be avoiding anyway. As you say, all very smooth and shiny on the website but that's as far a I went.

Keade

Post by Keade »

Pathetic really to be doing such a thing, childish too. I wonder how old the fool is to come up with a script to delete the mod folder or game itself from the system...

I don't get much a point in paid mods though I do understand there are modders out there who like to be paid for the "hard" work they do creating them, a reward for releasing something which could actually be game breaking or error ridden maybe even not even done to the right scale with missing textures or sounds.
Don't particularly trust anything which has come from third party mod sites myself but there are mods which I test beforehand to determine if safe or not, otherwise everything in my mod folder generally come from the modhub anyway.

The way I see it though this could potentially lead to a declining community, modding community too because no modder wants to see their content leaked. Stink is it isn't something which can now be stomped out unless modders themselves stop allowing beta testers for their mods or instead allow GIANTS themselves to test them because this is the risk they take.
Same goes for early access, I get Youtubers want to showcase maps or mods though they too could potentially leak mods etc without even realising it...
Derplodactyl

Post by Derplodactyl »

UncleRico wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 1:59 pm

Amen to this!

Giants are fully aware of this malicious script, but there's nothing really they can do about it apart from discourage people using the shady sites.
- James G | Derplodactyl (The Jaggler)
- Giants Ambassador 🇬🇧
- PC & Xbox One

PC Specs:
-AsRock B550M Extreme4 Steel Legend
-AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
-EVGA RTX 3080Ti XC3 Ultra
-Corsair 32GB DDR4 @3600MHz
-1TB Samsung 970 Evo Pro M.2 + 256gb NVMe Storage
Jimbob0704

Post by Jimbob0704 »

In some ways this might sound a bit stupid, but this whole mod stealing and converting without permission is getting worse by the day and now this has happened it might actually be a blessing in disguise as anything not on modhub will become too much of a chance to download and discourage pc players from these dodgy mods which will hopefully reduce the amount of clowns releasing them, hopefully then less modders will walk away from the game due to the actions of these cowboys, I know one modder who was in the process of bringing his map from fs19 ( one of the best maps and very popular) to fs22 only to see someone livestream his map converted without permission on YouTube before he could get his own version finished, he walked away from the game and it was a huge loss and I’m pretty sure this has happened to others too
Owner of YouTube channel FS landscaping
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVa5pA ... kqx5eVXmxw
UncleRico

Post by UncleRico »

Jimbob0704 wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:01 pm In some ways this might sound a bit stupid, but this whole mod stealing and converting without permission is getting worse by the day and now this has happened it might actually be a blessing in disguise as anything not on modhub will become too much of a chance to download and discourage pc players from these dodgy mods which will hopefully reduce the amount of clowns releasing them, hopefully then less modders will walk away from the game due to the actions of these cowboys, I know one modder who was in the process of bringing his map from fs19 ( one of the best maps and very popular) to fs22 only to see someone livestream his map converted without permission on YouTube before he could get his own version finished, he walked away from the game and it was a huge loss and I’m pretty sure this has happened to others too
That’s extremely unfortunate about the modder. As for the malicious script mods, I do agree that some folks definitely got a first hand lesson in downloading from second hand sources which in the long run is good. Although many of the mods that had the script were RP style mods so unfortunately in likely affected younger players mostly. I only say unfortunately because many of these players don’t seem to have put in enough time to understand what’s right and wrong as far as downloading goes. The mods were also effectively garbage, some being 400-500 mb for a single mod. Your average educated player sees a download size as large as an 4x map and knows they want nothing to do with anything like that. Where as beginners don’t know to make that type of distinction. I do hope Giants does look at some of the more egregious paid mod patreons. As you alluded too, some folks are outright stealing mods or assets and the worst of the worst are selling them and complaining saying people are stealing from them when leaks like this happen haha.