When to use diffrent stuff? (Dual wheels, weights, narrow, wide)

Kiptanoi

When to use diffrent stuff? (Dual wheels, weights, narrow, wide)

Post by Kiptanoi »

Hello!
I am curious and I am not a IRL farmer :D

I am wondering some stuff:
1) Why and when do farmer use wheel weights? (Is the wheel weights only on rear tires?)
2) Why and when do farmer using dual narrow wheels?
3) What is the difference on wheel traction with single wide tires vs dual narrow tires?
parad0x177

Re: When to use diffrent stuff? (Dual wheels, weights, narrow, wide)

Post by parad0x177 »

Kiptanoi wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 1:51 pm Hello!
I am curious and I am not a IRL farmer :D

I am wondering some stuff:
1) Why and when do farmer use wheel weights? (Is the wheel weights only on rear tires?)
2) Why and when do farmer using dual narrow wheels?
3) What is the difference on wheel traction with single wide tires vs dual narrow tires?
1) For traction and as counter weight for lifting loads and heavy implements. Weights on the rear wheels can be quite helpful with front loader work. 3-point hitch-compatible weights can be used to add additional weight and counter balance (on either front or rear hitch) and some tractors have optional front weight racks. And, yes, wheel weights generally only appear on the rear; the weight racks take care of the front.

2) For row crops. Narrow tires can allow the tractor to drive down rows between crops, eliminating (or at least reducing) damage to growing crops. However, narrow wheels do this at the price of reduced traction and increased ground pressure (both by reducing contact surface area), which contributes to soil compaction and sinking in soft/wet soil. Using duals counteracts some of that trade-off by adding back some of that tire contact patch while still (with appropriate setup) allowing the tires to ride between the rows.

3) In the real world, there are a number of variables there, but the big variable comes down to total tire contact patch, regardless of the number of tires. Whichever setup has the largest contact patch will tend to create the greatest traction.

In the game, though, traction doesn’t seem (at least that I have noted) to change much between tires. The weights can help, though. So, basically, weights are good for better traction and counter balance while narrows are good for avoiding crop damage (once the crops are beyond the first couple of growth stages). Other than that, it’s mostly cosmetic.
humbe

Post by humbe »

Yeah.. And compaction isnt a.thing in game either and in game you can drive anywhere on any crop with narrows without damaging it. As theres little traction issues in game the simplest way is to have narrows on at all times..
Kiptanoi

Post by Kiptanoi »

Thanks for the fine answer parad0x177.

I was curious after I did see a episode of Laura Farms.
They got one JD 8330 and JD 8530 with dual narrow wheels all around.
And one JD 8345 R with dual narrow wheels in rear and single narrow wheels in front.
dan1108

Post by dan1108 »

I know FS22 is still far from real (or the REA mod from FS19 - that was brutal!), but I believe that duals helped me out doing some inclined plowing when snow set in. It seemed to give me 1-2kmph more. I normally make sure I have duals when doing tilling...but I was lazy as it didn't seem to matter, however I was a bit overpowered. But that snow certainly slowed things down and the tire did seem to help.

For those that don't know, the Added Realism for Vehicles (REA) mod in FS19, made you pay DEARLY in traction, HP requirements, and overall speed if you dared to do field work in the rain, or worse snow. Even if HP rated, you will lose working speed going up slight inclines in good weather. It definitely kept your honest with your field work, forcing you to get the right tires for the job. Looking forward to it in FS22.
KCHARRO

Post by KCHARRO »

dan1108 wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 12:46 pm I know FS22 is still far from real (or the REA mod from FS19 - that was brutal!), but I believe that duals helped me out doing some inclined plowing when snow set in. It seemed to give me 1-2kmph more. I normally make sure I have duals when doing tilling...but I was lazy as it didn't seem to matter, however I was a bit overpowered. But that snow certainly slowed things down and the tire did seem to help.

For those that don't know, the Added Realism for Vehicles (REA) mod in FS19, made you pay DEARLY in traction, HP requirements, and overall speed if you dared to do field work in the rain, or worse snow. Even if HP rated, you will lose working speed going up slight inclines in good weather. It definitely kept your honest with your field work, forcing you to get the right tires for the job. Looking forward to it in FS22.
REA is brutal, in FS19 I have a mix of REA, Dynamic Dirt, RealMud, Seasons, after spending many hours readjusting to make them work according to the humidity of the Seasons terrain, making them compatible with each other ... the end result was an experience incredible, and there I got more hooked on the game ...

With DynamicDirt I managed to get them stuck in puddles of water, and I even prepared Estancia Lapacho for this, making hidden marks under the textures of the dirt roads, I would like you to see when going down from fields 1 and 2 in the second curve that is made. a puddle to the loaded tractors, it's incredible.

Thanks to the Modders for these great mods.
dan1109

Post by dan1109 »

KCHARRO wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 6:37 pm
dan1108 wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 12:46 pm I know FS22 is still far from real (or the REA mod from FS19 - that was brutal!), but I believe that duals helped me out doing some inclined plowing when snow set in. It seemed to give me 1-2kmph more. I normally make sure I have duals when doing tilling...but I was lazy as it didn't seem to matter, however I was a bit overpowered. But that snow certainly slowed things down and the tire did seem to help.

REA is brutal, in FS19 I have a mix of REA, Dynamic Dirt, RealMud, Seasons, after spending many hours readjusting to make them work according to the humidity of the Seasons terrain, making them compatible with each other ... the end result was an experience incredible, and there I got more hooked on the game ...

With DynamicDirt I managed to get them stuck in puddles of water, and I even prepared Estancia Lapacho for this, making hidden marks under the textures of the dirt roads, I would like you to see when going down from fields 1 and 2 in the second curve that is made. a puddle to the loaded tractors, it's incredible.

Yup, REA is now being tested as we speak. I hope it is a little bit gentler than FS19 - I always had to have a wrecker vehicle in 19 to flip vehicles over or get them unstuck due to REA, but havent had that need yet in 22 at all. I think I have flipped over 3 times in 300 hours of play, allowing me to drive even more stupid. in 19, it was a daily event.
wheelmansteve

Post by wheelmansteve »

For what it is worth, when doing planting contracts with the "borrowed" Case Maxxum and the Amazone 4m rig, the weight provided is too little, and the tractor becomes a wheelie machine. Using my own 1100KG weight makes it manageable, so the weight/balance/traction physics seem somewhat legit.
Old fat guy with a day job...
KCHARRO

Post by KCHARRO »

Now at 22, the vehicle physics are pretty good in terms of weight, something I've always done to tractors with the front axle suspension type like Case Optum, Magnum, Steyr Terrus, Deutz-Fahr Series 9 (in FS17-19 and now 22) is to unlock the front axle so that the suspension works as it should, it is simple:

They go to the vehicle xml and on the axle component line,
<joint component1="1" component2="2" node="frontAxisComponentJoint" rotLimit="0 0 5" rotLimitSpring="0 0 4000" rotLimitDamping="0 0 75" maxRotDriveForce="0 0 30" rotDriveRotation="0 0 0" rotDriveSpring="0 0 80" rotDriveDamping="0 0 30" breakable="false" />

add at the end:
transLimitSpring="0 1000 0" transLimitDamping="0 30 0"

being that way:
<joint component1="1" component2="2" node="frontAxisComponentJoint" rotLimit="0 0 5" rotLimitSpring="0 0 4000" rotLimitDamping="0 0 75" maxRotDriveForce="0 0 30" rotDriveRotation="0 0 0" rotDriveSpring="0 0 80" rotDriveDamping="0 0 30" breakable="false" transLimitSpring="0 1000 0" transLimitDamping="0 30 0"/>

The Deutz-Fahr Series 9 from RedCat3D (he has done an excellent job by the way) that is on ModHub comes with the axle unlocked, only very soft and when putting front weight it lowers the nose a lot
it comes like this:
transLimitSpring = "0 500 0" transLimitDamping = "0 4 0"
Kiptanoi

Post by Kiptanoi »

dan1109 wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:33 pm
KCHARRO wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 6:37 pm

Yup, REA is now being tested as we speak. I hope it is a little bit gentler than FS19 - I always had to have a wrecker vehicle in 19 to flip vehicles over or get them unstuck due to REA, but havent had that need yet in 22 at all. I think I have flipped over 3 times in 300 hours of play, allowing me to drive even more stupid. in 19, it was a daily event.

With REA, do you mean those mods that can be downloaded from modhub? (REA22 Wheels, REA22 Implements, REA22 Center Of Gravity, REA22 Dynamic Dirt, REA22 Distant Motor Sound)
UncleRico

Post by UncleRico »

Kiptanoi wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 7:57 am

With REA, do you mean those mods that can be downloaded from modhub? (REA22 Wheels, REA22 Implements, REA22 Center Of Gravity, REA22 Dynamic Dirt, REA22 Distant Motor Sound)
They do mean REA mods but keep in mind anything described might work differently than explained because this post is about FS19 functionality since it’s from a few years ago.