Backup Problems

Helazak

Backup Problems

Post by Helazak »

Scenario: I have a laptop and a desktop. Depending on who needs which computer I have FS22 installed on both.
I have a whole house hard drive that all my computers talk to and where we do our backups.
When I play the game I backup my savegame to the house drive and refresh the other computer and continue where I left off.

I have had significant laptop issue, and have as a precaution backed up my c:/users/Owner directory to the house drive.

I recently did a clean up of my desktop and deleted all the contents of the c:/users/Owner directory and replaced it with the laptop backup. This should work because these are supposed to be user preference files and all the installation related stuff is supposed to be in c:/program files/.
There are some files that don't transfer like ntuser.dat and some appdata files don't want to be copied.

But my FS22 product code got deleted and it wants me to re-input it. That does not make sense to me and I need to know what directories to not mess with in order to make this work. I don't want to have to input my product code all the time.

Little help.
FS22 on PC, FS14, FS16, FS20 on iPhone Not a gamer. Most gamer jargon goes over my head.
Started playing for the education about farming.

Amateur (noob) Farmer 5 mostly forested acres
Tractor: Kubota M4900 (54HP), w/ Loader bucket and forks
Attachments: log splitter, Chipper/shredder, finish mower, scrape blade, rock rake, double moldboard plow, rototiller, Garden Bedder
Guil

Re: Backup Problems

Post by Guil »

The only files you need to worry about backing up is the FS folder under Documents
Helazak

Post by Helazak »

I am not trying to only back up FS22 but my other data also. That is why I am copying the enter directory. One problem is that one computer installs FS22 under C:/users/Owner/ and the other installs it under C:/Users/Owner/Onedrive/ so the computers are looking at different directories.
FS22 on PC, FS14, FS16, FS20 on iPhone Not a gamer. Most gamer jargon goes over my head.

Attachments: log splitter, Chipper/shredder, finish mower, scrape blade, rock rake, double moldboard plow, rototiller, Garden Bedder
Guil

Post by Guil »

I know that but I am saying there is no need to backup FS22 installation folders. Just disable onedrive syncing or use it on the other
Helazak

Post by Helazak »

How do you convince FS22 to use the other directory? I don't see a setting for that.

Adding to this. when you turn on your computer the first thing Windows asks you for is who is logging in and what is your pin.

I have a different login from my kids. So they dont accidentally delete my stuff.

How do I install FS22 so that I don't have to keep entering the activation code for each user who logs in? I don't need 5 different copies of every MOD.

Helazak

Post by Helazak »

Ok so I have set up my backups so I am backing up my "c:\users\owner\documents\my games\farmingsimulator2022" folder to my house drive and can pull it down to either my laptop or my desktop so I can start where I left off no matter which computer I am using. The problem is that one of the files stores my activation code as well as my top level settings like screen resolution which get reset when I do the copy.

Obviously I am copying too much. Which files should I not be transfering?