Elbe Valley map

Your forum for all discussions around Modding.
compukit

Elbe Valley map

Post by compukit »

I wonder if the mod map Elbe Valley can be edited to put the places that are (forgotten) not for sale until they are for sale. As an example (and so far the only place I found) at land that you can buy 95 you have a square with silos and 3 incubators on it that is not for sale and therefore you cannot do anything. What has changed is that you can buy it. o before I forget, I'm running this map on a multiplay server, don't know if that makes a difference.
thank you in advance
compukit
XPModder

Re: Elbe Valley map

Post by XPModder »

Hi!
I think you need to try to explain the question you have a bit better.
At the moment I (and probably most others here) cant quite follow.

I understand this: You are playing on this map "Elbe Valley" and there is a bit of land that cannot be bought. But then you say that it changed and it can now be bought. So I assume there was an update to the map and this land was made buyable when it wasnt before.
Is that correct?
If so, what exactly is your question?
Like what do you actually want to know?
Das Universum ist unvorstellbar groß und wir sind im Vergleich dazu winzig.

Daher kann mir jemand der unter uns Winzlingen Unterschiede in Hautfarbe oder Herkunft sucht, nur Leid tun, weil seine Sichtweise so begrenzt ist!

Fremdenfeindlichkeit ist Menschenfeindlichkeit!
compukit

Post by compukit »

whel no the land is not bought i was explaning were the land is
XPModder

Post by XPModder »

Yes, you explained where it is on the map, but you also said:
compukit wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:15 am What has changed is that you can buy it.
So you havent actually bought it, but you can now buy it.
Or did you want to say something else?

Daher kann mir jemand der unter uns Winzlingen Unterschiede in Hautfarbe oder Herkunft sucht, nur Leid tun, weil seine Sichtweise so begrenzt ist!

compukit

Post by compukit »

XPModder wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 3:33 pm Yes, you explained where it is on the map, but you also said:
compukit wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:15 am What has changed is that you can buy it.
So you havent actually bought it, but you can now buy it.
Or did you want to say something else?
a i see whel i meend how can i change it so i can but it
XPModder

Post by XPModder »

Ah I see
If you can or cant buy an area (they are called farmlands by the game) is set in the farmlands.xml file in the map. This file is usually located in the same folder as the map.i3d file. In a mod that would usually be modName/map/farmlands.xml
In the farmlands.xml file each farmland (or area) is defined with a number (eg farmland 1), this is the same number that you see ingame when you buy an area. Now you will need to know which number corresponds to the area that you are interested in. As it currently cant be bought it is likely that it will be the same farmland as everything else that cant be bought on the map. If you want to you can change this, but thats up to you.
To find out which number the farmland you are interested in is, open the map in giants editor. In the terrain editing panel under "Info Layer Painting" in the "Info Layer" dropdown select "farmland", then uncheck the checkbox "Show Unmasked" and enter terrain info layer paint mod, by clicking the icon with the little blue "i" symbol in the toolbar at the top. Now in the "Lands" dropdown select one of the farmlands (eg "Farmland 1"). Now the area that is farmland number 1 is highlighted.
You can now go through and select one farmland after the other in the "Lands" dropdown until the area you are interested in is highlighted. Now simply looking at the "Lands" dropdown will show you which number the farmland is.
Close giants editor without saving (it will ask you if you want to save changes, select "no") and open the farmlands.xml file in a text editor.
Find the line that contains

Code: Select all

id="number"
where number is the number of the farmland you are interested in (the one you just found in giants editor).
If this line contains

Code: Select all

showOnFarmlandsScreen="false"
then delete this bit and save the file.
If you cant find a line with the correct number, copy a different line and change the number in the copied line to be the one you are interested in. Make sure the line does not contain the above mentioned string.
Save the farmlands.xml file.
The next time you load the map you should be able to buy the farmland.

If you are on a multiplayer server, you will have to change this both on your client and on the server and everyone else who wants to join the server will also need the modified version of the map.
Also, if you update the map through the ingame "Downloadable Content" menu, you will have to redo the changes, because it will overwrite your modified version of the map.