[WIP] MAP: Stryn

olahaldor

[WIP] MAP: Stryn

Post by olahaldor »

It's been ages since I last posted anything here. About time I do.. :)
Some of you may already know I've been hard at work learning new software and with that, also created a dozen useful tools to make the process of map making more fun, more engaging, less guesswork.

Last summer I started a new map to test new tools, and it's been captivating! I'm still adding to the Buildings of Norway pack which will update Rennebu, but also be used in the new map.

The new map is called..

It is based on a real place in Norway. I've only driven through the valley twice, and what captivated me about this location is the meandering river, and the farmlands which have adapted to the shape of the river and mountains.

The map is 4x (sorry, no console version)
I'll share some screenshots from the progress.

This very last screenshot is just minutes old, fresh from the press. It shows how important the extension of the playable terrain is.

A few testers have already got access, and I await a couple more to join. Gameplay wise I think the map holds up pretty well.
There's more to do, but mainly visually. Adding more buildings, painting ground textures and placing trees and foliage.

That's all for now. :)
humbe

Re: [WIP] MAP: Stryn

Post by humbe »

Cool. Keep up the great work 😀

I was driving by Ringebu and thought it could possibly be a good location for a map, being a bit more than just a narrow valley, but Stryn sounds like an interesting prospect too. Still busy with my western wild playthrough, but planning to go Rennebu after ;)
Kriunx

Post by Kriunx »

Wow,
i Pin this Thread to my Favourite List.
Alt im Gesicht, aber Spielkind geblieben.
https://www.youtube.com/@Kriunx

Jimbob0704

Post by Jimbob0704 »

Totally stunning looking and those buildings have a been a Godsend to people like myself so I’d like to say thank you Olahaldor 👍👍
Owner of YouTube channel FS landscaping
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVa5pA ... kqx5eVXmxw
thomson125

Post by thomson125 »

Looks stunning Ola! Looking forward to the finished map.
SavageCDN

Post by SavageCDN »

olahaldor wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:50 am
A few testers have already got access, and I await a couple more to join. Gameplay wise I think the map holds up pretty well.
There's more to do, but mainly visually. Adding more buildings, painting ground textures and placing trees and foliage.

That's all for now. :)
Looks amazing! If you are short on testers let me know, happy to assist.
PC Player - CoursePlay addict
Guil

Post by Guil »

That's a very nice looking map. Looking forward to it
olahaldor

Post by olahaldor »

I have listened to the requests: all fields are now unique farmlands. You can buy the farm you want, and then cherry pick which fields you'd like to own.
The field and farmland number ID's are the same, so there should be no confusion.

SavageCDN wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:11 pm Looks amazing! If you are short on testers let me know, happy to assist.
Thank you :)

I have a few testers already, but there's room for more.
Hit me up on my discord.

In general, testing Stryn will require a GitHub account as all updates are pushed there to make it more flexible and easy for me to update, and for testers to download. In short; you only download the new/updated files, instead of downloading the map over and over again which can be a bit tiresome with large files. :)
Noraf

Post by Noraf »

Are you planning to implement the pick your start farm mod?
:hi:

FS22 Bug-tracker
How to post your log
Giants Discord
Posting pictures How-to

Just remember, if the world didn't su.., we'd all fall of...
olahaldor

Post by olahaldor »

Noraf wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:19 am Are you planning to implement the pick your start farm mod?
Absolutely!!
olahaldor

Post by olahaldor »

I have added support for Pick your starting farm. :)

Chose to start fresh with nothing, or specific farms with their own specific set of vehicles and equipment.

humbe

Post by humbe »

Cool.. Not seen the mod, but nice to be able to see what farm areas have been prepared to be usable by player. A bit sad to buy a yard that looks nice, just to find no buildings have functionality so you have to tear them down and build standard placeables.

Are you trying to make buildings like they appear in real life in Stryn map too, or mostly reusing buildings made for Rennebu? Just started my Rennebu scenario here. Hoping join effort with maps may make more ghost buildings materialize at some point (though I think I've driven through Rennebu once or twice, so I wouldn't notice if they looked correct or not). Totally understand if you want to move on to other projects though.
FBtheSQL

Post by FBtheSQL »

Your map looks awesome! Can't wait to check it out. Thanks for your contribution.
olahaldor

Post by olahaldor »

humbe wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:31 am nice to be able to see what farm areas have been prepared to be usable by player. A bit sad to buy a yard that looks nice, just to find no buildings have functionality so you have to tear them down and build standard placeables.
That's exactly why my maps aren't fleshed out with tons and tons of details on and around the farmyards; all my buildings are placeables and you as the farmer can remove and re-arrange the yard however you please. I hate locking players in to play a specific way or style if they would rather expand or set their own goals and challenges.
humbe wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:31 am Are you trying to make buildings like they appear in real life in Stryn map too, or mostly reusing buildings made for Rennebu? Just started my Rennebu scenario here. Hoping join effort with maps may make more ghost buildings materialize at some point (though I think I've driven through Rennebu once or twice, so I wouldn't notice if they looked correct or not). Totally understand if you want to move on to other projects though.
There will not be many (if any..) Stryn specific buildings except the vehicle shop and maybe some industry/grocery stores to sell or produce stuff. :)

That's the purpose of my building pack; reuse when possible!

Rennebu will become richer in time. It's a bit overwhelming how much is left, and I'm terribly sorry things haven't ended up the way I intended to. By the time I started the production of the map up until today I've had two kids, changed jobs twice and time is such a luxury I barely can afford.
FBtheSQL wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:15 pm Your map looks awesome! Can't wait to check it out. Thanks for your contribution.
Thank you! :)
humbe

Post by humbe »

olahaldor wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:27 am ...
There will not be many (if any..) Stryn specific buildings except the vehicle shop and maybe some industry/grocery stores to sell or produce stuff. :)

That's the purpose of my building pack; reuse when possible!

Rennebu will become richer in time. It's a bit overwhelming how much is left, and I'm terribly sorry things haven't ended up the way I intended to. By the time I started the production of the map up until today I've had two kids, changed jobs twice and time is such a luxury I barely can afford.
Very understandable. I was expecting Rennebu to have 90% buildings that was just pre-existing models from base game or elsewhere to begin with. Actually starting to make all custom sounds like a totally massive undertaking. Few players likely drive around the place, so just reusing existing models and duplicating some several places on the map, as long as they fit the settings a bit, sounds like another possible way to go to replace the ghost buildings with less work.

Thanks for all the hard work.