Petition for VR

FBtheSQL

Re: Petition for VR

Post by FBtheSQL »

One disadvantage of VR is you can't easily see the input controller/keyboard/mouse, and this game requires a lot of input.
obisky

Post by obisky »

Yes, that's true, but if you're well equipped with a steering wheel/joystick, it's easy enough to memorize the different keys.

Personally, since I've played farming with vorpx in VR, I can't go back to the screen.
I understand that many players aren't comfortable with VR and I'm not criticizing on-screen gameplay, for me fs22 in VR is simply another way of playing.

I'm in the farming world IRL, and VR brings a lot more realism to the game. It's also much more fun to drive the different machines. It would make a great training aid.

During my fs22 VR experiments, I was amazed to find myself in the same equipment I use IRL, and to find all my points of reference.

Now I'm not specifically asking GIANTS to incorporate VR (they do as they can or wish), Vorpx does it pretty well, I'm just hoping for some connection between the two to help make the experience better and smoother.
coffeeguy66

Post by coffeeguy66 »

When the UEVR mod file/app became available I was so hoping FS22 was created with the Unreal engine so I could try this in vr.

Unfortunately UEVR doesn't work with FS22, for me it would be a game changer.

I play ETS2, ATS and TSW 4 in vr and the immersion is amazing.

Yes please to the devs. Please think about adding vr .
FBtheSQL

Post by FBtheSQL »

Unreal engine, ETS2, ATS, and FS, all in the same comment. Could be an interesting weekend around here.
Ekan

Post by Ekan »

coffeeguy66 wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 9:03 am When the UEVR mod file/app became available I was so hoping FS22 was created with the Unreal engine so I could try this in vr.

Unfortunately UEVR doesn't work with FS22, for me it would be a game changer.

I play ETS2, ATS and TSW 4 in vr and the immersion is amazing.

Yes please to the devs. Please think about adding vr .
Please do not Giants, put the money elsewhere. AND stop creating new accounts to bump this post, probably one and the same dude that keeps this thread alive.
FS since 2012 :hi:
"Immersive farmplay & detail fanatic"

PC: :gamer:
Acer "28" NItro XVO (4k)
Geforce RTX 3070
i7-8700k 5ghz (OC) (3.70ghz)
HyperX fury 32gb RAM
M.2 970 evoPlus (500gb)
M.2 MP500 (150gb)
ROG strix Z370-F
EVGA 750w psu, Corsair cooling & chassi
humbe

Post by humbe »

Sounds great in theory.. But there's lots of drawbacks.
- The player base that has VR equipment is far smaller than not, so they would still have to make the game work without.
- The player base that has VR equipment might be too small to warrant the extra cost in development or possible income gain.
- Good 3D graphics is already challenging on hardware on 2D HD screens. In VR you need even more pixels. Immersion could be improved, but overall graphics quality would probably be considerably worse.
- Personally, I don't want a VR set with a heavy cable attached to the VR glasses, so I have one with everything built in, and the graphics performance on my VR set is likely laughable compared to on my PC setup. The VR games I've tried that works well seems to all have very basic toon graphics.

I personally don't see it happening, but it sure would make driving with view inside cab more interesting ;)
obisky

Post by obisky »

humbe wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 12:29 pm Sounds great in theory.. But there's lots of drawbacks.
- The player base that has VR equipment is far smaller than not, so they would still have to make the game work without.
- The player base that has VR equipment might be too small to warrant the extra cost in development or possible income gain.
- Good 3D graphics is already challenging on hardware on 2D HD screens. In VR you need even more pixels. Immersion could be improved, but overall graphics quality would probably be considerably worse.
- Personally, I don't want a VR set with a heavy cable attached to the VR glasses, so I have one with everything built in, and the graphics performance on my VR set is likely laughable compared to on my PC setup. The VR games I've tried that works well seems to all have very basic toon graphics.

I personally don't see it happening, but it sure would make driving with view inside cab more interesting ;)
I don't really understand your reasoning.

Why is that a problem? Players here aren't asking for a full VR game, just a vision implementation like ETS2, ATS, UEVR did for TSW and all the UE games, or Vorpx for lots of games...
Does the fact that I'm playing fs22 in VR today with vorpx have any impact on your screen?

Okay, there's a cost, but how much? What makes you think it's not worth it?
ETS and ATS, it seems to me, are just devs implementing VR in their spare time.
UEVR and Vorpx aren't big teams either.
But it's there, and the result is that I can play it in my VR headset. And that's simply what's asked here.

Do you have any real figures for the number of VR players? I've got friends who can't wait to play farming in VR! But don't respond to the survey.

As for graphics, I admit I've got a good PC, but 72 FPS is pretty good for VR. (It's still below screen, I grant you, but the immersion makes you forget the pixels at least).

As for the cable, I play on wifi with a Quest 3, I don't have one.

If you play it regularly, in VR it's an incredible experience. ETS2, ATS, TSW... Are already very satisfying in VR, but FS is clearly a step up with the range of hardware and, above all, its usefulness.

Believe me, finding yourself in the cab of a combine harvester, or a backhoe, or any of the FS vehicles in VR changes everything, and I want more of it every day.
humbe

Post by humbe »

obisky wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 9:22 am
humbe wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 12:29 pm ...
I don't really understand your reasoning.

Why is that a problem? Players here aren't asking for a full VR game, just a vision implementation like ETS2, ATS, UEVR did for TSW and all the UE games, or Vorpx for lots of games...
Does the fact that I'm playing fs22 in VR today with vorpx have any impact on your screen?

Okay, there's a cost, but how much? What makes you think it's not worth it?
ETS and ATS, it seems to me, are just devs implementing VR in their spare time.
UEVR and Vorpx aren't big teams either.
But it's there, and the result is that I can play it in my VR headset. And that's simply what's asked here.

Do you have any real figures for the number of VR players? I've got friends who can't wait to play farming in VR! But don't respond to the survey.
I only had speculations when I posted, but I figured I'd do some internet searches:
  • In February 2024, number of PC gamers are estimated to be 1.86 billion. ( https://explodingtopics.com/blog/pc-gaming-stats ) (More than I expected. Don't have time to look into source verification)
  • In February 2024, there are 171 million use some kind of VR technology. That's 10% of the above number. Higher ratio than I woulda guessed, but likely only a portion of these are gamers, and only a portion of these have VR tech usable for games. Also, there are console players in addition to PC gamers.
I don't have any details on how easy it is to integrate VR tech into 3D gaming engines, and what the cost picture of that will be, but the number of gamers with VR tech available is likely rising, and the VR tech is improving, so it's likely to get more and more interesting over time.

I don't code 3D nor VR graphics, so I don't know details of how complex it is to add VR support, but if a 3rd party has been able to implement VR support on top of the game, and that is a valid approach, that at least makes it a lot easier to evaluate the cost for those in the known. I would kinda expect it to have to be integrated into the game for a good experience though. I would assume the 3D engine took shortcuts due to only having to output a 2D image.

I haven't tested anything you reference above, which is just a meaningless set of abbreviations for me, but the main reason I don't think we're there yet is that on my Occulus Quest II, I haven't personally seen anything close to making good 3D graphics on the spot. All good quality parts I've seen are prerecorded videos. Everything else is cartoonish.

I'd love to be able to test out VR set with FS22, and it could be a game changer, but I'm guessing it would hurt graphics quality considerably, at least with my setup.
mexel75

Post by mexel75 »

Would love to play FS in VR!