How to feed cows corn?

Fabior

How to feed cows corn?

Post by Fabior »

Hey guys, I saw you can feed cows corn by getting chaff, from the very expensive harvester,
But can you also feed them 100% with haybales, grassbales and silage, along in the mixer wagon? (and straw in the pen)
If yes, how do you make the silage?

thanks,
Fabior
(p.s sorry for doublepost if there is one, I couldn't find the thread I recently posted so I thought it didn't post.)
Rickenbacker

Re: How to feed cows corn?

Post by Rickenbacker »

You make silage by unloading wagons of chaff or hay (dried grass) between the concrete walls at the gas plant or the cow shed. Then compact it by driving around on it, hit R to cover it when 100% compacted, and wait an hour (real time, acceleration doesn't count). Voila! Now all you need is a loader to pick it up.

At the gas plant, you can also sell your silage by dumping it in the intake chute, which gives you pretty good money. The Lizard loader is best for this, as it's got the biggest scoop (10m3 / 10,000l) and is also very good for compacting.
Boomer506

Post by Boomer506 »

Silage is a fermented product, and needs moisture. You make it from whole-crop corn and un-dried grass. You pick it up with the loading wagons, not the hay baler.
Rickenbacker

Post by Rickenbacker »

Oops, sorry, fresh grass it is! I was thinking of hay bales :). Corn chaff still seems to work the best, though, but it's a pain to harvest unless you have the big Krone harvester.