Where are we all from?

BullFarmer

Re: Where are we all from?

Post by BullFarmer »

Cool Wraith, do you have the same username on GTP?
Can't even remember what my username was on there, haven't been playing GT6 in ages.
Got Pcars on PS4 yesterday, looks good so far.
Playing on PS4 and PC.
I7 3.5Ghz, 8GB RAM, GTX960 2Gb graphics.

Farmer/tractor driver in real life.
cedricthecat

Post by cedricthecat »

Wraith32 wrote:I'm british and live in the UK. I'm 32 and live in a small town near Leeds
So far you are the nearest to me then! :D

(btw, my OH comes from Sheffield!)
Played FS2013 and FS15 on PS3
Playing FS17, FS19 and now FS22 on PS4
Playing FS22 on PC
//www.natterzone.net
Wraith32

Post by Wraith32 »

BullFarmer wrote:Cool Wraith, do you have the same username on GTP?
Can't even remember what my username was on there, haven't been playing GT6 in ages.
Got Pcars on PS4 yesterday, looks good so far.
My name is similar very similar in fact lol. And you'll love PCARS I'm sure.

cedricthecat wrote:
Wraith32 wrote:I'm british and live in the UK. I'm 32 and live in a small town near Leeds

How awesome, So I'm North Leeds way near the airport, whereabouts are you?
baltar

Post by baltar »

Manitoba, Canada. Right in the middle of Canada. Grandparents came from the Ukraine and Czechoslovakia and were farmers. Spent most weekends visiting them. Grew up on a acreage/ 4 acres with a 1 acre garden. Dad even had a OLD Massey Harris tractor and plow and cultivator for the dinosaur. We have wheat, canola , cattle, pigs and some corporate pig farms in Manitoba.
cedricthecat

Post by cedricthecat »

Wraith32 wrote:
cedricthecat wrote:

Perhaps not that awesome, as although my OH is from Yorkshire, we live in Lincolnshire (just South of Lincoln)! :D

(been to Leeds a few times in my dim and distant, when I was a truck driver :) )
Playing FS22 on PC
//www.natterzone.net
Guil

Post by Guil »

cedricthecat wrote:
Wraith32 wrote:
cedricthecat wrote: So far you are the nearest to me then! :D

Perhaps not that awesome, as although my OH is from Yorkshire, we live in Lincolnshire (just South of Lincoln)! :D

(been to Leeds a few times in my dim and distant, when I was a truck driver :) )
What trucks did you drive cedric? I drive this daily and have been over in the uk a lot of times in an artic. Mostly down as far as immingham.
https://www.dropbox.com/photos/shared_s ... CAWKD9vrvr
cedricthecat

Post by cedricthecat »

Guil wrote:What trucks did you drive cedric? I drive this daily and have been over in the uk a lot of times in an artic. Mostly down as far as immingham.
https://www.dropbox.com/photos/shared_s ... CAWKD9vrvr
Small world, as I used to own/operate with a Volvo F10, so not a world away from you! Mine was a 6 axle twin steer, with the high-line cab and sleeper, and the 16-speed twin-splitter manual gearbox, which is probably the best gearbox of any vehicle I have ever driven!

Used to rent trailers (mainly tilts, but preferably curtainsiders, as they were far easier to open up!) and once a week I'd start off in Birmingham, pick up a load, drive to Newhaven, cross to Dieppe, then to Rouen, and then Paris. From there it varied but often involved Belgium (Seraing, at Cockerill Forges, where I'd pick up train wheels), and/or Germany and/or Holland. Then back to Zeebrugge, over to Felixstowe, and dropping everything I'd loaded, before doing it all over again!

After a while, I got a bit fed up with it, so moved on UK container work, which was out of Immingham (no offence to anyone that lives there, but it's a horrible place!). Sadly, the firm I worked for went bust, owing me £1000's, which meant I lost my truck and ended up working for the NHS!

(when I first got my Class 1 licence, I drove for a local firm who used mainly ERF's, very old ones, and the occasional Foden. Some of their stuff was brand new, some of it was ancient - they bought a new tractor unit every year and retired the oldest, but this meant the second oldest was still in the fleet and could be 15 or more years old!)
Playing FS22 on PC
//www.natterzone.net
Guil

Post by Guil »

Wow you are well travelled. I've been doing bin lorries for the last 7 years. Started when I was 22 and I'm 29 now. I was mad for artics and going to England every weekend but got tired of working 7 days a week. When I was going to immingham it was always for DSV. Mostly into Hollyhead from Dublin on the Friday night then down to DSV, break,drop the trailer and back to Liverpool.

Sometimes I'd have to wait for the return trailer to get in at 3 Saturday afternoon so that was horrible taking the rest in the port. I was pulled in at the roundabout just outside DSV. Bloody coal wagons going all day would do your head in haha. My transport manager found out bout the weekend stuff so that was the end of that.
cedricthecat

Post by cedricthecat »

Funny how keenness gets eroded by working 7 days a week! This was more or less what happened with me - left on a Sunday afternoon to drive from Lincolnshire to Birmingham in the tractor unit to pick up the loaded trailer, then off to Newhaven to catch the ferry for unloading on Monday morning. The idea was that I'd be sailing back on Thursday, then tipping Friday, back home Friday evening. However, delays abroad often meant I wasn't back until Friday, and was then lucky if I could tip Saturday to start again Sunday! This was in the 80's and at that point there were still border crossings with customs and "T-forms" to negotiate, which could take hours - if something was amiss with paperwork, it could almost be days! Getting back to the UK you had the same thing, and often if you got back on Friday evening, you knew you wouldn't clear customs until Monday...

Happy days!
Playing FS22 on PC
//www.natterzone.net
Guil

Post by Guil »

Thank god I have never had to experience anything like that.
cedricthecat

Post by cedricthecat »

Guil wrote:Thank god I have never had to experience anything like that.
LOL! No tunnel in my day either, although it was being built and I made a delivery to the site :D

Some of those ferry crossings were hell - once had a 24 hour delay to get on one at Zeebrugge, due to a strike at Calais meaning everyone headed to Northern ports. Got to Zeebrugge, saw mile long queues, drove down to Oostend, found longer queues, back to Zeebrugge, sat there for 24 hours, got on the ferry and there was the worst weather ever, meaning a 7 hour or so crossing took around 15, couldn't dock at Dover Eastern dock as the sea was too rough, eventually got on the Western dock after the longest and most vomit covered crossing ever!

Do I miss it??
Playing FS22 on PC
//www.natterzone.net
Guil

Post by Guil »

I went to Crewe once and that crossing was horrible. I don't know how rough it was but it was the worst I was on and there was queues for the toilets lol. Never again
modsking

Post by modsking »

From lithuania, East Europe if somebody doesnt know :)
cedricthecat

Post by cedricthecat »

Guil wrote:I went to Crewe once and that crossing was horrible. I don't know how rough it was but it was the worst I was on and there was queues for the toilets lol. Never again
LOL! I remember going to the toilets on one of these crossings and there was a flood of what was hopefully just water, sloshing from side to side on the floor!
Playing FS22 on PC
//www.natterzone.net
Achtung Baby

Post by Achtung Baby »

From Australia, spent the first thirty years of my life on a dairy farm... working in the poultry industry now, don't like it but it pays well.