PROs and CONs of FS16

hasab

PROs and CONs of FS16

Post by hasab »

Hi all.

First of all I have to say that the Farming Simulator series are really great, one of a kind, truly elaborated games, very amusing, and they are stealing all of my free time. I really liked to play with all of them, it was a real pleasure to follow the progress and evolution of the versions one after another. The newest masterpiece, the FS 16 has a lot of pros which makes the game very entertaining and exciting, but unfortunately it has also a lot of contras which makes the gameplay very annoying and frustrating.
So hereunder I collected some of the pros and cons of the newest Farming Simulator I found out.

PROs:
p#1 - New zoom feature, with the really needed possibility of seeing farther. It was a huge miss in the previous FS versions, and it's finally here.
p#2 - New map with new building types like spinnery for wool, sawmill for logs, cleaning station for dirty farming vehicles.
p#3 - New animal: sheep for wool production.
p#4 - New vegetable types: sugar beet and potato with all of its needed vehicle types.
p#5 - New lumbering function with all of its needed vehicle types.
p#6 - Wider variety of farming vehicles from cheap, weak and slow to expensive, strong and fast.
p#7 - Improved automatic driver mode which allow to send the vehicles to the gas/cleaning station, to unload/sell the good they gathered, and they come back to the same place where they got the order (if not stuck somewhere en route).
p#8 - On the map it’s clearly definable what kind of crop is on the fields and whether it’s rising or already ripe.

CONs:

c#0 - Lack of possibility to change to previous vehicle. There is a button to change to the next vehicle, but every time I want to change to a previous vehicle I have to switch through all of my vehicles. In FS14 I could switch back and forth between vehicles by slide the screen left or right but in FS16 sliding the screen left only turns the view.

c#1 - The night is way too dark, it’s needless to be everyting that black. If the driven vehicle lights are on I can see something in that light beam.
:!: But at dawn when the vehicle lights go off and still nightly dark I can see almost nothing even at fully set backlight on the tablet, mostly in sunny daytime. It is VERY annoying, it needs to be changed, lightened. :!:

c#2 - The traffic AI is very dumb and not enough watchful.
If the player’s automated farming vehicle (which ordered to go somewhere or coming back from a task) meets at an awkward moment with one of the AI cars, they could run up each other and stick together makes our automated farming vehicle unable to reach its destination and needs to drive manually.
Possible solution: Maybe if all of the vehicles (including the AI cars) would have a bigger watching circle/field, they could wait more before moving along to avoid the crash.

c#3 - Hired AI drivers are dumb and not enough watchful.
For example when one tractor is (auto)sowing the field in north-south direction, and the other tractor is (auto)spraying the same field in east-west direction, they sometimes run up against each other and either get stuck or the stronger tractor pulls/pushes the weaker to the end of the field instead of waiting others to fully pass. I realized that the tractors only "see" the other tractors but they don't pay attention to the equipment attached behind the tractor so when the tractor goes away, the other starts to go and crash/foul into the other’s attached equipment.
Possible solution: Maybe if all of the vehicles (including the AI cars) would have a bigger watching circle/field, they could wait more before moving along to avoid the crash.

c#4 - The hired AI drivers - when they ordered to go somewhere – have to make very large roundabouts instead of choosing the shortest way to the destination because of the wrongly designed roads. It’s very annoying especially with the very slow vehicles because they spend much more time, fuel and money to make the way and back than it should need.

c#5 - Vehicles getting stuck in hired AI driver mode at various situations:
  • - the Buffalo log transporter always get stuck in the Harbor after unload at turning back. It can only be rescued by changing to manual driving loosing the automatic drive back function.
    - the tractors with tipper or the camion always get stuck at the Inn, and sometimes at the Bakery selling point.
    - the vehicles which ordered to refuel always get stuck at the north-west gas station because of the wrongly programmed turning into the filling point.
    - the plowing-/sowing-/spraying-/baler-tractors get stuck at buildings, fences, trees around the fields when in hired AI driver mode. (Solution against the trees in the way: cut down the tree but don’t cut the stump. Solution of getting stuck in buildings, fences: changing the moving direction from north-south to east-west, or vice versa when needed.)
    - the tractors - working on fields - run up against each other and get stuck like I described it upper in c#3.
c#6 - The stump cutter has to be positioned too precisely to the tree-stump otherwise the action icon is not appearing or quickly disappear if I accidentally run out of that small range.

c#7 - Can’t easily recognize the difference between the plowed and the sowed field at first glance when driving near the field (need to look at the map).

c#8 - There are 6 types of plants but the canola has always the highest price instead of alternating the highest price between all of the crop types like in the previous FS14 where most of the time the corn was the most expensive crop type but sometimes the canola or the wheat got the highest price.

c#9 - Big fields cost a fortune, lot more than in the previous FS games (the biggest field costs 1.8 million money unit).

c#10 - Can’t drive straight through between the two mountains with the lake, it has to be travelled around.

c#11 - The animals are standing still instead of moving, growing etc.

c#12 - The built-in manual is good but it could be more detailed, it could contain how-to and tips and tricks especially for beginners.

Needs: tutorials, missions, 1st person view, vehicle inner view, able to get out of vehicle and walk around, more types of equipments, improvable and customizable vehicles and accessories for (in-game) money.

These are the most important pros and cons what came into my mind during playing this awesome game.
I hope the cons will be fixed soon by the developers because without them the game will be much more enjoyable.

Thanx for reading! (And sorry for my improper english.)

hasab (a natural born gamer)
Played on LG G Pad 8.3 (LG V500) with Android 4.4.2.
Last edited by hasab on Mon Sep 07, 2015 4:22 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Buddy2004

Re: PROs and CONs of FS16

Post by Buddy2004 »

I agree with most all of this except I see fine at night lol
JayKayEm

Post by JayKayEm »

Agree with most of that. Good post.

Can confirm one of your AI stuck points - the Buffalo log transporter always get stuck in the Harbor after unload at turning back.
FS12 on iOS (83hrs) : FS14 on iOS (72hrs & $4m) : FS16 on iOS (223hrs & $23m) : FS18 on iOS (173hrs & $46m) : FS20 on iOS (struggling !) :confusednew:
hasab

Post by hasab »

JayKayEm wrote:Agree with most of that. Good post.

Can confirm one of your AI stuck points - the Buffalo log transporter always get stuck in the Harbor after unload at turning back.
Hi.

Thanks for the reply and the confirm.

I parked the camion close to the left side of the Harbor unload point to try that the Buffalo instead of turning left maybe try to pass the camion but the log carrier just kept wanting to turn through the camion so I think there is no way to use the Harbor for automated log unload. :-(

I could suggest to developers to use the rightside gate for entry and the leftside gate to exit so there is no need to turn back.
M.A.R.C.
GIANTS Software | Lead Artist

Post by M.A.R.C. »

Hey again hasab and thanks for the detailed overview. :)

c#0 - We'll check if we can get swipe action back as in FS14.

c#1 - Might try to go a bit lighter, some screens are brighter than others making this a bit hard to tune, we don't want players on other devices with bright displays have it as light as day at night.

c#2 & c#3 - This one is regrettably not improveable, too large a radius they even stop for oncoming traffic on the other side of the road, it would need a complete system overhaul that is beyond a mere updated. For Ai helpers start them off on the same side with a delay, this works much better as well since the recent AI updates.

c#4 & c#5 - These should be a lot better since recent updates :)

c#6 We'll check again it should also not look silly when you could chop 4 meters away from the stump :p

c#7 - Can't change it, but the Map is your friend

c#8 - While canola does have the best price visibly in direct per ton comparison, it has the lowest yield per hectare. Same goes for other fruit types, sugar beet has a seemingly ridiculously small price, however you can fill multiple trailers from just one field because the sugar beet are large and heavy. In the end given a complete average base price all fruit types earn you the same per hectare harvested. Therefore it is a good idea to plant and harvest all of the fruit types and store them in your silos so you can then sell each when the prices are way up.

c#9 - The largest field is also a lot larger than it was in FS14 hence the larger highest price.

c#10 - That is by design, making some destinations farther to travel to and not having a simple easy route everywhere. Making it more important to station part of your fleet on other ares of the map.

c#11 - They are rather simple true, however you are not interacting with them directly its more about the delivery of food/straw and picking up the products.

Thanks again for all your valuable feedback

Best

Marc
hasab

Post by hasab »

Dear Marc!

Thanks for YOUR valuable feedback!! *thumbsup* Good to see you guys are really for us, poor virtual farmers! :biggrin2:

It would be a real pleasure (at least for me) if the swipe vehicle change function could come back! I miss it so badly in every second of playing! :frown:

I almost never had any problem with the screen brightness of my LG GPad 8.3, but here in FS16 I always suffer of inadequate visibility at night. Okay, it is not so bad as I stated earlier, but it should be slightly brighter at night and at dawn. Thanks in advance if you will improve it.

I will deeply test the improved AI. But you should reprogram the Harbour unloading sequence because every time a vehicle tries to turn back after unloading it gets stuck to the iron container.

It is good to know that behind the crop production there is a big science. :p I will test it.

The other cons are not so important, I can live with them.

Thanx for any more improvement, and thanx again for your kind reply and for this awesome game!

Best regards.
hasab
hasab

Post by hasab »

I just realized that the "getting stuck in the Harbor" problem had been solved because I successfully managed to unload timber a couple of times and the timber transporter truck never got stuck, it was always be able to exit on the second gate (after enter the harbour at the first gate). Thanks for the fix!
hasab

Post by hasab »

Solved cons:
C#0: Two tractor icon for back and forth switch.
C#1: now it is not so dark at night and the dawn is better too.
C#2,3,4: The vehicle AI and the autohelper is much more careful.
C#5: Partially solved, the harbor and gas station stuck problems have gone.
C#6: stump cutter has more workspace.
C#11: the animals are moving now (sheeps heads up-down, cows heads up-down, cows lie down and stand up).
Last edited by hasab on Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ggorman

Post by Ggorman »

I don't see the animals moving at all; though I don't mind that. It would just take too much graphics power for little add. I've never seen the timber transporter get stuck at the harbor and I've done that a lot even before the recent update. How do you tell a tractor to go the the fuel station. I know some will automatically when it runs out. I wish I could get the Timber Loader to go there. It takes a lot of my time to go fill it up with fuel. I try to keep it full when I get it near one of the fuel stations, though it means I have to drive it myself back to the current work area.

George
hasab

Post by hasab »

Hi George.

The sheeps` heads are moving up-down, and maybe left right. The cows` heads are also moving up-down and they can lie down and stand up. Thats nice, more realistic than just standing and do nothing while they eat up the grass and bales.

You are a very lucky player if you never got the timber transporter stuck at the harbor unload point. It was a known bug til it has been fixed.

You can open the map and the at the bottom there is a petrol station sign, when you tap that sign the actual vehicle you are just in will go automatically to the nearest petrol station to fill up gas then comes back to its origin. But you have to watch them because they can get stuck at the station sometimes, in that case you have to free them fill them and manually drive them back.

At the bottom of the map there is another button which is an empty bucket-like sign, if you push it the sowing and spraying machines will go to fill up themselves.

I hope it will help you, and feel free to write any other thing you have trouble with at playing this awesome, freetime-stealing game. :wink3:

Regards.
hasab
Ggorman

Post by Ggorman »

Thanks hasab, I didn't know about those selections on the map. That's pretty neat. I've also been using the harvester honk to get a nearby tractor with tipper to come unload. Sometimes, though, it doesn't stay long enough to take all of the fruit. I just wait until the harvester is full again pretty soon and honk again. Usually works the second time.

George
Navan

Post by Navan »

It might be leaving because it's full and must unload at the storage before it can collect more.
Ggorman

Post by Ggorman »

When the tipper becomes full, it automatically runs to the farm to store the fruit. I've seen that. This is different that the tractor stops for just a second and moves away. Then the harvester continues to harvest. This happens with any of the harvesters that I use from time to time. Yesterday, for the first time, the harvester didn't wait. It continued on after it unloaded about 50% of its fruit. The hireling in the tipper didn't continued to wait and was therefore was in the way when the harvester came back to it.

I guess this is a bug of some sort, but I don't know how to reproduce it. It just happens now and then.

George
hasab

Post by hasab »

You should put it in the BUGS topic...