Internet Take over

farmboy002

Internet Take over

Post by farmboy002 »

Has anyone else heard that the hole internet will be taken over by one company Oct 1st of this year? It sounds as if we mite have to pay to go to are favorite web sites? Hope this is just a rumor, Because if not looks like my internet days are over... :hmm: I will not pay to go to mod sites or forums I just could not afford it... :frown:
JohnDeere318

Re: Internet Take over

Post by JohnDeere318 »

farmboy002 wrote:Has anyone else heard that the hole internet will be taken over by one company Oct 1st of this year? It sounds as if we mite have to pay to go to are favorite web sites? Hope this is just a rumor, Because if not looks like my internet days are over... :hmm: I will not pay to go to mod sites or forums I just could not afford it... :frown:
I hope this does NOT happen!!! :frown: :shock: :shock: I agree, I would be able to that stuff either. :frown:
My PC specs: Click Here (Google Doc) :gamer:

How to post your log.txt
W1der

Post by W1der »

Ha ha ...
This is most probably not true ... and even if it was ... It would not take long for all the "computer nerds" out there to create a "new internet" that was free ... :lol:

There is already so many companies in the entire world that makes huge profits from the Internet ... I do not think it would be possible for just one company to "buy the Internet".
It is more likely that a huge number of "hackers" would be able to take it over and control it ... but even that would probably not last for very long.
I should not worry about this ... :this:
[Win11] Intel Core i9-13900F Tray 5.6GHz / MSI RTX4090 24GB GDDR6 / 2x16GB 5600MHz DDR5
JohnDeere318

Post by JohnDeere318 »

W1der wrote:Ha ha ...
This is most probably not true ... and even if it was ... It would not take long for all the "computer nerds" out there to create a "new internet" that was free ... :lol:

There is already so many companies in the entire world that makes huge profits from the Internet ... I do not think it would be possible for just one company to "buy the Internet".
It is more likely that a huge number of "hackers" would be able to take it over and control it ... but even that would probably not last for very long.
I should not worry about this ... :this:
That is very true. :smileynew:

How to post your log.txt
farmboy002

Post by farmboy002 »

It’s easy to see why. Regimes like those in Russia, China, and Iran are themselves under serious threat, with their own Internet users criticizing government and uncovering corruption. What they want is a U.N.-style model, where every country has a vote, and those votes will boost the power of the governments casting them. One result could be a balkanized Internet where threatening speech, or commercial competition, is squelched at the border.

Up until recently, the United States has been a fervent supporter of the multi-stakeholder process. But last year, the Obama administration announced it would give up its contract with the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers, or ICANN, which manages Net addresses.

The final, or Top Level Domain designation, at the end of an address, can be fraught with political and economic implications. For instance, France wants the use of “.wine” or “.vin” limited to users who agree to abide by strict geographic rules for wine labeling. Only growers in the Champagne region of France would be able use an address that includes the word “champagne.”

The U.S. has acted as a guarantor of the multi-stakeholder process that runs ICANN. But now ICANN is up for grabs. It could end up being not just a manager of addresses but the main governing institution for the entire Internet.

Technically, this week’s U.N. meeting is a review of the World Summit on the Information Society, launched 10 years ago. In a process that began in June, governments, NGOs, and other groups have been filing papers to guide the creation of a single U.N. “outcome document.”

Consider the filing by the Group of 77 plus China -- a coalition, dating from 1964, of developing countries that now includes 134 nations. “The management of the Internet involves both technical and public-policy issues,” says the document, “and … the overall authority for Internet related public policy issues is the sovereign right of States.”

The group pays lip service to the multi-stakeholder model but emphasizes that it “should not be lopsided, and any tendency to place sole emphasis on the role of businesses and non-governmental organizations while marginalizing governments should be avoided. … It is necessary to ensure that the United Nations plays a facilitating role in setting up international public policies pertaining to the Internet.”

Russia’s filing is even worse: “We consider it necessary [the document’s italics] to consecutively increase the role of governments in the Internet governance, with strengthening the activity of the International Telecommunication Union (ITU) in this field, as well as with support of the UNESCO activity in the development of ethical aspects of Internet use.”

The ITU is a U.N. agency that’s another candidate for Internet-czar status; UNESCO was long ago politicized. The term “ethical” is a red flag. It provides an internationally sanctioned foothold for countries that want a U.N. imprimatur on their restrictions of free speech.

While the U.S. and Europe are trying to uphold the status quo, they are vastly outnumbered. In past meetings of this sort, the U.S. has managed to keep the authoritarians at bay, but the administration’s ICANN decision -- another case of attempting to lead from behind -- won’t help. ICANN is a tempting prize for China and other countries.

The good news is that the final document looks reasonable. While “it does not emphasize sufficiently that the Internet is a shared, global platform,” Kathryn Brown, president of the Internet Society, writes in a blog, “it does, however, strongly recommend states … ‘avoid’ actions that would disrupt the benefits of the Internet.”

The governance section reaffirms that “existing arrangements have worked effectively to make the Internet the highly robust, dynamic and geographically diverse medium that it is today, with innovation and value creation at the edges.” Except for a few phrases like “full involvement of governments,” the document gives little weight to the changes the authoritarians are seeking.

But that could change. The real problem is that with WSIS+10, the United Nations has gained official acceptance as the arbiter of Internet governance. As of this week, the multi-stakeholder model survives, but the conference itself amplifies the danger of a takeover by forces that see a free Internet as an existential threat.
farmboy002

Post by farmboy002 »

W1der

Post by W1der »

farmboy002 wrote:It’s easy to see why ...
OK ... but this is about "regulating the content on and access to the internet" ... as I interpret it.
Not about one single company is going to "buy" the internet and make it in to a "pay per view" business!?
[Win11] Intel Core i9-13900F Tray 5.6GHz / MSI RTX4090 24GB GDDR6 / 2x16GB 5600MHz DDR5
farmboy002

Post by farmboy002 »

W1der wrote:
farmboy002 wrote:It’s easy to see why ...
OK ... but this is about "regulating the content on and access to the internet" ... as I interpret it.
Not about one single company is going to "buy" the internet and make it in to a "pay per view" business!?
That's how it all starts and then they lower the hammer on us with the takeover. I tried to find more info about it but it's hard to no if the info is legit? There is a lot of B.S. on the net so I hope this is a false flag. I wish I could remember where I seen this at because it had a lot more about the takeover in it. I did find a video on YouTube about it. Just look for LeakProject and look for the video, It will be one of the more resent ones. But who knows if there is any truth to this? I just thought I would post it and see what everyone else thinks?

Here's a link for that video...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIL_Yk-q1Y0 :this:
JohnDeere318

Post by JohnDeere318 »

Well, let's just hope this never happens or comes into play. :)

How to post your log.txt