Why the new slot system - explained

WolfeUK
Posts: 723
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:35 am

Why the new slot system - explained

Post by WolfeUK » Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:04 am

Its all to do with the limited GPU Ram on our consoles, not giants fault

2 different tractors uses up more Ram than 2 of the same, its that simple

You could have 10 different tractors that would use up a gig of ram, but if all the tractors where the same you could probably have a 100, So the slot system the way it works makes perfect sense, 10 slots for the initial one then 1 slot there after, your better to have more of the same than all different types

Its like these huge maps with trees, thats why they are normally the same tree, add too many different types and it kills your Ram, but add thousands of the same and it can cope, The GPU ram loads the tree model then the CPU just duplicates that model as a number << in simple terms pro users

So, try to buy the same tractors, use the skid steers but use the same type around your farm, dont buy loads of different trailers, this way you can have more equipment, combines, keep them the same model and it wont hurt to have a few of them,

you can easily fill your map with equipment doing this.

Postby Stegei » Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:54 am

The slot limit is set to 500, although the map itself will use about 20% (dependent on which map you're playing on), so you have about 400 slots to spend on vehicles. Unfortunately, in the current version there is a bug, so that the number of vehicles is limited to about 50, dependent on what kind of vehicles you bought. Also it fails to show the remaining slots and how many slots a new vehicle would use, because we only show that from 80% usage on (which you have not really reached yet with only 50 vehicles).

An update is currently pending at Sony and Microsoft for testing/release that will fix this. However, this will probably take at least 1 week until it is available for you to download.


Postby Stegei » Thu Nov 03, 2016 2:49 pm

Placeables count towards the slot limit too.

As a update regarding our investigations: We have been working on increasing the available slots and so far we managed to squeeze out another 150 slots, so that you can now use 650 instead of 500.
Also we consider reducing on how much memory each slot represents. So that you for example would have twice the slots available, but a vehicle would also use about twice the number of slots (except for the vehicles that currently use 1 slot). So this slot-size modification will not change a lot how many different vehicles you can have, but it will reduce the cost of the 2nd,3rd etc. instance of a vehicle. E.g. if you buy 100 wind turbines, it would only cost about as much as 50 wind turbines at the moment.
We're currently testing these changes and will include those in the next patch if the tests are successful.
Last edited by WolfeUK on Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:15 pm, edited 5 times in total.
XB1~PC....I do struggle to understand sometimes, but i try :mrgreen:

sebasfarmer1990
Posts: 45
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:04 am

Re: Why the new slot system - explained

Post by sebasfarmer1990 » Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:24 am

good explanation but can you explain the fact that in farming simulator 15 you can buy more tractors of diferent types? in fs15 i have every single tractor in the game and 1 of each trailer, truck, harvester etc, and i have like 100 wind turbines, can you explain why and whats the difference between fs15 and fs17 when it comes to slots? because on my thought in fs15 i never had to sell stuff to get free slots etc

User avatar
Krd1749
Posts: 257
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:03 pm

Re: Why the new slot system - explained

Post by Krd1749 » Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:30 am

They said the current slot limit is a bug and it will be increased to like 400.

WolfeUK
Posts: 723
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:35 am

Re: Why the new slot system - explained

Post by WolfeUK » Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:32 am

sebasfarmer1990 wrote:good explanation but can you explain the fact that in farming simulator 15 you can buy more tractors of diferent types? in fs15 i have every single tractor in the game and 1 of each trailer, truck, harvester etc, and i have like 100 wind turbines, can you explain why and whats the difference between fs15 and fs17 when it comes to slots? because on my thought in fs15 i never had to sell stuff to get free slots etc
I wish i could, you would think with our new systems we should get more slots, but for some reason we dont, maybe because we have more variance than we did with FS15, like i explained before the more 'different' items we have the less we can have of them, we wanted more tractors and plants, we got more, different types of placeables, more types of animals, much better graphics, all becomes taxing on the GPU

Unless Giants can confirm why its all just speculation and best guess's
XB1~PC....I do struggle to understand sometimes, but i try :mrgreen:

sebasfarmer1990
Posts: 45
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:04 am

Re: Why the new slot system - explained

Post by sebasfarmer1990 » Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:33 am

Krd1749 wrote:They said the current slot limit is a bug and it will be increased to like 400.
oke but they said there going to fix this in an update, im on ps4 and i had a update but from what i heard it only fixed multiplayer bugs so when does the slot fix update release?

eric21
Posts: 5036
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:48 pm

Re: Why the new slot system - explained

Post by eric21 » Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:10 am

Apparently its already out

Stegei
GIANTS Software | CTO
Posts: 1444
Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2007 10:51 am

Re: Why the new slot system - explained

Post by Stegei » Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:54 am

The problem is, that the map in FS17 already uses about twice as much memory as the map in FS15. Also most of the vehicles are much more detailed and some use about twice as much memory as well. Also because of the mod system and the larger amount of available vehicles in the base game, the slot system needs to be more conservative, since we need be absolutely sure, that any possible combination will always fit in the available memory. For FS15, there was approx. enough memory to just keep any vehicle in memory, so we basically only needed to make sure that the per-instance memory (which is quite low compared to the base memory used per vehicle type) didn't use up all of the remaining memory. For FS17, this unfortunately is no longer the case. Buying all vehicles just once, would use more than the available memory. We will however continue to investigate if we can further optimize the slot system, to allow you to buy more vehicles.

User avatar
Guil
Moderator
Posts: 5999
Joined: Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:43 pm

Re: Why the new slot system - explained

Post by Guil » Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:11 am

Stegei wrote:The problem is, that the map in FS17 already uses about twice as much memory as the map in FS15. Also most of the vehicles are much more detailed and some use about twice as much memory as well. Also because of the mod system and the larger amount of available vehicles in the base game, the slot system needs to be more conservative, since we need be absolutely sure, that any possible combination will always fit in the available memory. For FS15, there was approx. enough memory to just keep any vehicle in memory, so we basically only needed to make sure that the per-instance memory (which is quite low compared to the base memory used per vehicle type) didn't use up all of the remaining memory. For FS17, this unfortunately is no longer the case. Buying all vehicles just once, would use more than the available memory. We will however continue to investigate if we can further optimize the slot system, to allow you to buy more vehicles.
Probably pi** into the wind but I'm going to try get a refund from Sony. Why were we not told about the slots in the run up to release when all the hype was about? I appreciate that there is limitations but there was no reason whatsoever that it should of been kept secret until users ran into problems.

SirLANsalot
Posts: 96
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:00 pm
Location: In spaaaace

Re: Why the new slot system - explained

Post by SirLANsalot » Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:15 am

hmm, maybe people should play a farming game on the PC where it belongs. Them consoles are archaic anyways, and you are running into the EXACT issue why consoles *censored*. Limited hardware.

While its much easier to program a game for a console then a PC, because every console is exactly the same. They have severe limitations in there capabilities, to the point where they are far below PC's even when first launched. So its harder to program a game for the PC, because each computer will handle the game differently, its also far easier for the end user to adjust there settings or hardware to accommodate newer games.

TL;DR, don't play on console? LOL

eric21
Posts: 5036
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:48 pm

Re: Why the new slot system - explained

Post by eric21 » Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:33 am

Guil wrote:
Stegei wrote:The problem is, that the map in FS17 already uses about twice as much memory as the map in FS15. Also most of the vehicles are much more detailed and some use about twice as much memory as well. Also because of the mod system and the larger amount of available vehicles in the base game, the slot system needs to be more conservative, since we need be absolutely sure, that any possible combination will always fit in the available memory. For FS15, there was approx. enough memory to just keep any vehicle in memory, so we basically only needed to make sure that the per-instance memory (which is quite low compared to the base memory used per vehicle type) didn't use up all of the remaining memory. For FS17, this unfortunately is no longer the case. Buying all vehicles just once, would use more than the available memory. We will however continue to investigate if we can further optimize the slot system, to allow you to buy more vehicles.
Probably pi** into the wind but I'm going to try get a refund from Sony. Why were we not told about the slots in the run up to release when all the hype was about? I appreciate that there is limitations but there was no reason whatsoever that it should of been kept secret until users ran into problems.
Unfortunatly consoles are years behind computers. You will always get limitations on consoles

eric21
Posts: 5036
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:48 pm

Re: Why the new slot system - explained

Post by eric21 » Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:34 am

SirLANsalot wrote:hmm, maybe people should play a farming game on the PC where it belongs. Them consoles are archaic anyways, and you are running into the EXACT issue why consoles *zensiert*. Limited hardware.

While its much easier to program a game for a console then a PC, because every console is exactly the same. They have severe limitations in there capabilities, to the point where they are far below PC's even when first launched. So its harder to program a game for the PC, because each computer will handle the game differently, its also far easier for the end user to adjust there settings or hardware to accommodate newer games.

TL;DR, don't play on console? LOL
Unfortunatly therebis lots of people who cant afford a pc and there are lots of people who are young

sebasfarmer1990
Posts: 45
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:04 am

Re: Why the new slot system - explained

Post by sebasfarmer1990 » Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:48 am

if i want to buy a game pc it cost as much as 4 ps4 or xbox 1 systems togetter :(

RogsR35UK
Posts: 316
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:49 am

Re: Why the new slot system - explained

Post by RogsR35UK » Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:55 am

The thing is that there are more options for each tractor, so they use more slots. In FS15 you just had a "vanilla" tractor.

Zetor9145
Posts: 712
Joined: Sat Jun 06, 2015 7:45 pm
Location: In My Truck.

Re: Why the new slot system - explained

Post by Zetor9145 » Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:16 am

sebasfarmer1990 wrote:if i want to buy a game pc it cost as much as 4 ps4 or xbox 1 systems togetter :(
Er sorry but my pc cost me £450 I seem to remember... Look up Fierce Pc on Amazon or Ebay. I have a quad core Amd processor and a Geforce GTX960 card and run the game on max settings.

And remember you can always upgrade a PC.

eric21
Posts: 5036
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:48 pm

Re: Why the new slot system - explained

Post by eric21 » Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:23 am

Youncant get new ps4 for around £250

Post Reply