Vehicle aging

ArizonaSnow

Re: Vehicle aging

Post by ArizonaSnow »

Gazer75 wrote:All those complaining could just use the cash cheat mod and add some wind turbines. Then you do not have to worry about it ever again.

Those who want to turn it off seem to not like it due to the cost being to high and slowing down the game.
If that is really the problem then play on easy. There is a reason for the three difficulty settings.
Actually there are more than three difficulty settings because of being able to turn on and off other things like crop withering, periodic ploughing and 3x fertilisation.

At the moment the most annoying thing about this game is this pathetic vehicle aging because they don't age realistically. Seriously these tractors have to be built stuff for them to degrade so quickly.

And look at the other things in the game that you don't have to do if you don't want to. If the traffic annoys you you can turn it off, if you can't be bothered buying seeds you can have workers do it, same for fertilizer.

There should be no reason whatsoever why you can't turn vehicle aging off.

I am betting that there are a lot more people who want rid of such a ridiculous feature than the ones who want to keep it.
styn

Post by styn »

A fixed price per day is not very realistic for maintenance.
I think that a maintenance cost based on the working hours is more realistic. Only when you use your vehicles they will age and will be needing maintenance. The price per working hour can depend on the vehicle itself (for example: larger equipment and more powerful vehicles cost more per working hour)
Maybe that is an idea for the next update?
Silva

Post by Silva »

styn wrote:A fixed price per day is not very realistic for maintenance.
I think that a maintenance cost based on the working hours is more realistic. Only when you use your vehicles they will age and will be needing maintenance. The price per working hour can depend on the vehicle itself (for example: larger equipment and more powerful vehicles cost more per working hour)
Maybe that is an idea for the next update?
Its very simple. Some people like vehicle aging, and some people hate it. It just needs to be an option (on/off) and everyone is happy.
junttieinari

Post by junttieinari »

Gazer75 wrote:All those complaining could just use the cash cheat mod and add some wind turbines. Then you do not have to worry about it ever again.

Those who want to turn it off seem to not like it due to the cost being to high and slowing down the game.
If that is really the problem then play on easy. There is a reason for the three difficulty settings.
You are ignorant. Cheating nor playing on easy is not a solution of any kind of completely unrealistic feature as it is in current state.
Nuffield FTW!
cr41g_1965

Post by cr41g_1965 »

realistic... or unrealistic is a point of view depending on how you play... no one is ignorant or wrong.

If the game were to allow what you consider a "realistic" rate for maintenance then maybe they should have a "realistic" crop growth period of 4 to 5 months instead of everyday.

If you can harvest crops everyday then the maintenance as it stands makes sense as GIANTS has tried to balance the economic system. 40 in game days provides you with 40 harvests.. in real time this would represent about 16 years at 5 months per harvest... and as such 16 years worth of maintenance on vehicles...

Farming Simulator 76

playing RDR2
muzickmage

Post by muzickmage »

cr41g_1965 wrote:realistic... or unrealistic is a point of view depending on how you play... no one is ignorant or wrong.

If the game were to allow what you consider a "realistic" rate for maintenance then maybe they should have a "realistic" crop growth period of 4 to 5 months instead of everyday.

If you can harvest crops everyday then the maintenance as it stands makes sense as GIANTS has tried to balance the economic system. 40 in game days provides you with 40 harvests.. in real time this would represent about 16 years at 5 months per harvest... and as such 16 years worth of maintenance on vehicles...
It doesn't take a genius to figure out that you can't base the entire game on 1 single time equation... especially a game like Farming Simulator. So comparing vehicle damage to crop growing is going to create the very issue we are having with vehicle ageing vs crop growth. Each needs to be balanced independantly of the other.

It also doesn't take a genius to understand that if you program a feature into a game that causes your vehicles to fall apart... then it's only fair/reasonable to balance that feature with another one that will allow you to put your vehicles back together.... or rather... a repair feature .... that allows you to fix your vehicles.

This idea that Giants imposed is a one sided equation that forces people to trash their vehicles and equipment whether they like it or not. Which is part of reality yes.. these things happen in real life. Vehicles get old, and they have to be replaced. But also what happens in real life is... people take their stuff down the road and get them serviced. This world we live in isn't about using stuff till it breaks... without the option to fix, or prolong its life.

That all being said... it's my opinion that Giants made 3 major mistakes with this vehicles ageing thing.
..... 1) Giants didn't give us the option to toggle this feature on/off.
..... 2) Giants didn't give us a defense to the new feature by allowing a "repair vehicle" option.
..... 3) Giants made the vehicle ageing happen too quickly. It needs to be slowed down a bit.

This is not FS15 where we can make money so fast that its like we are printing it ourselves. This is FS17... where the income as been nerfed to make it harder to earn money. Imposing on this new economy a feature that "forces" you to replace ALL of your vehicles every 10-12 real game days.... is a bit ridiculous.
fenixguy

Post by fenixguy »

One thing that strikes me after reading through this one... By the time you have enough equipment for the maintenance fees to be huge, you should have enough of a farm to more than cover them. As I stated in an earlier post, I've got 50+ hours of game play and my maintenance costs are ~$800 a day. Once I get another combine and a few tractors, I expect that number to more than triple to ~$3000. My pigs are making me over $15,000 a day by themselves. I don't see the problem... That's with no cheats. By the time a tractor has close to 40 hours on it, I think I'll be bored with it anyway.

Everyone plays their own way, but I can't honestly see this being a game breaker. You do realize that it would take over 100 game days for the maintenace costs to exceed the costs of a new piece of equipment?

Doing the math, my Massey with close to 10 hours would take 492 game days before buying a new tractor would be more cost effective. That's not even taking into account the resale value. (which by then would probably be about 50 cents :chinese: )
FS22 is the best one yet. Fight me!
muzickmage

Post by muzickmage »

fenixguy wrote:One thing that strikes me after reading through this one... By the time you have enough equipment for the maintenance fees to be huge, you should have enough of a farm to more than cover them. As I stated in an earlier post, I've got 50+ hours of game play and my maintenance costs are ~$800 a day. Once I get another combine and a few tractors, I expect that number to more than triple to ~$3000. My pigs are making me over $15,000 a day by themselves. I don't see the problem... That's with no cheats. By the time a tractor has close to 40 hours on it, I think I'll be bored with it anyway.

Everyone plays their own way, but I can't honestly see this being a game breaker. You do realize that it would take over 100 game days for the maintenace costs to exceed the costs of a new piece of equipment?

Doing the math, my Massey with close to 10 hours would take 492 game days before buying a new tractor would be more cost effective. That's not even taking into account the resale value. (which by then would probably be about 50 cents :chinese: )
I think your observation is flawed. You can pay over 2000 just for the harvester alone... and in very little time. I'd like to see a screenshot of your 50+ hours of gameplay that only cost you 800.... when I paid well into the thousands (on normal setting) before buying more equipment above the starting equipment as soon as the game calculated its first midnight expense.

In fact ... do that... start a new profile, fast forward to midnight... and see for yourself what the expense will be. It will be much more than just 800.

Edit:
...... I just started a brand new profile “Goldcrest Valley”, on easy setting. I fast forwarded through my first day. I let my character just sit there at the starting position, I didn't get into any vehicles, I didn't buy or sell any vehicles, I didn't move, build, work, etc. I just let the time flow to the end of day 1.

My vehicle running cost at the end of day 1 was... 4,488. So how exactly are you paying only 800 after 50+ hours of gameplay?

I'd also like to better understand how it is you are making 15,000 a day from pigs. Personally, I don't think you are subtracting the expense of the pigs as well. The food you have to feed them, the water cost, the gas for the vehicles that you use to run around in to service your pigs, and the maintanance cost you impose on your vehicles that you are using. I think if you actually grabbed a calculator and factored in all the variables that should be included on the spreadsheet... you'd realized that you are NOT earning 15,000 a day from pigs - in just 50 hours of gameplay.
Last edited by muzickmage on Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:38 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Mr.Smoke

Post by Mr.Smoke »

Silva wrote:Its very simple. Some people like vehicle aging, and some people hate it. It just needs to be an option (on/off) and everyone is happy.
Since when do you speak for everyone?

I dont remember saying anywhere that an option to toggle it on/off would make me happy.....

In fact, that wouldnt make me happy at all as it would only half fix the issue. I would much rather see a system implemented which allows us to repair the vehicle and remove a certain percentage of the hours, but not completely reset them. I would also like to see a scaling feature like offered for fuel usage instead of just an on/off option.
Beastofwar

Post by Beastofwar »

Don't you guys think it is more because of a game balance thingy ( preventing you from having the best stuff in a week and then loose interest out of lack of challenge ) then it has to do with realism ?

And you can have a harvest each day.....that isn't all that much realism is it ? With so much unrealistic income something has to counter that or there would be no challenge ( like FS15 more or less ) :mrgreen:

And seen the IRL costs of devaluation of vehicles, leasing costs and indeed the cost of servicing ( hour rates of dealer maintenance aren't that cheap even if they only change all the oils and greases ) and having to reserve money for replacement/new vehicles and equipment. No i don't think it is that unrealistic at all, even though 27 operating hours seem a bit short, which costs you a lot of money and certainly if you forgot you have to reserve money for replacement.

But that you should do IRL too....
Last edited by Beastofwar on Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Intel i5 3570K 3.40 GHZ (Quad Core)
8 GB Memory DDR3
R9 280 GFX card 3GB DDR5
1x 64GB SDD 1x 128 GB SDD 1x 1TB HDD
Win 10 Professional 64 bit
muzickmage

Post by muzickmage »

Beastofwar wrote:Don't you guys think it is more because of a game balance thingy ( preventing you from having the best stuff in a week and then loose interest out of lack of challenge ) then it has to do with realism ?

And you can have a harvest each day.....that isn't all that much realism is it ? With so much unrealistic income something has to counter that or there would be no challenge ( like FS15 more or less ) :mrgreen:
That's only half of the equation. If Giants wants to slow us down from getting rich, then how about adding more expense? Like the ability to repair our vehicles? Without the option to repair our vehicles... its not very realistic at all. How can Giants expect us to be ok with our vehicles falling apart from age, when they don't give us the option to repair and keep our vehicles. Forcing us to trash our vehicles every week and a half of real time gameplay is nuts.

So what should I do? Pick a day each week... maybe Saturday, and every Saturday click into my game and replace every single vehicle? Really?
W1der

Post by W1der »

muzickmage wrote:
cr41g_1965 wrote:realistic... or unrealistic is a point of view depending on how you play... no one is ignorant or wrong.

It doesn't take a genius to figure out that you can't base the entire game on 1 single time equation... especially a game like Farming Simulator. So comparing vehicle damage to crop growing is going to create the very issue we are having with vehicle ageing vs crop growth. Each needs to be balanced independantly of the other.

It also doesn't take a genius to understand that if you program a feature into a game that causes your vehicles to fall apart... then it's only fair/reasonable to balance that feature with another one that will allow you to put your vehicles back together.... or rather... a repair feature .... that allows you to fix your vehicles.

This idea that Giants imposed is a one sided equation that forces people to trash their vehicles and equipment whether they like it or not. Which is part of reality yes.. these things happen in real life. Vehicles get old, and they have to be replaced. But also what happens in real life is... people take their stuff down the road and get them serviced. This world we live in isn't about using stuff till it breaks... without the option to fix, or prolong its life.

That all being said... it's my opinion that Giants made 3 major mistakes with this vehicles ageing thing.
..... 1) Giants didn't give us the option to toggle this feature on/off.
..... 2) Giants didn't give us a defense to the new feature by allowing a "repair vehicle" option.
..... 3) Giants made the vehicle ageing happen too quickly. It needs to be slowed down a bit.

This is not FS15 where we can make money so fast that its like we are printing it ourselves. This is FS17... where the income as been nerfed to make it harder to earn money. Imposing on this new economy a feature that "forces" you to replace ALL of your vehicles every 10-12 real game days.... is a bit ridiculous.
I see it this way ...

With FS15 ... after playing +50 hours on a single map ... I was done ... I had so much money and equipment I did not know what to do with them all ...
With over 40 hours on my first game with FS17 ... I feel like I just gotten started ... and not even close to being bored, or feeling "forced" to start a new game and do the same things all over again ...

I feel that the economy has been way better balanced now, than it was in FS15 ...

FS17 is more of a challenge, when it comes to making smart economical decisions, that wont make you go bankrupt, from owning to many vehicles (or the wrong vehicles) ...
Playing FS15, I was able to make lots of money, what ever stupid decisions I could possibly come up with ... This is gone now ...
I personally like that ... *thumbsup*

I usually only speed time up over night ... trying to find things that I can do, while waiting for my fields to grow, to have a steady cashflow ...
The possibility to make the time travel faster ... is probably at fault here ... as time is money ... :this:
Every minute you are not working for your money in this game, is money lost (especially if you invested in the wrong machine park)!
This is probably why they introduced the leasing feature, in to the economy ... Using this, means that you are only paying for vehicles when you need them ...

My feeling is that the new economy is way more complex ... and I am also struggling with understanding it ... but I am learning as I play!

So far, my income has been greater than my expenses ... so I really do not see the problem here!

FS19 is two years out ... I have plenty of time to expand my farm until then ... :smileynew:
[Win11] Intel Core i9-13900F Tray 5.6GHz / MSI RTX4090 24GB GDDR6 / 2x16GB 5600MHz DDR5
Beastofwar

Post by Beastofwar »

muzickmage wrote:
....with our vehicles falling apart from age, when they don't give us the option to repair and keep our vehicles. Forcing us to trash our vehicles every week and a half of real time gameplay is nuts......
I do agree with you there.....an interesting chance gameplay wise to influence those costs is missing, and that repair mod seems not THE solution. ( at least not to me )
Intel i5 3570K 3.40 GHZ (Quad Core)
8 GB Memory DDR3
R9 280 GFX card 3GB DDR5
1x 64GB SDD 1x 128 GB SDD 1x 1TB HDD
Win 10 Professional 64 bit
Faelandaea

Post by Faelandaea »

Just make it like Truck Simulator. Want to pay to fix something? Run into a light pole ...

Seriously. The more you abuse your vehicle or use it outside it's design spectrum, the more "damage" it takes and thus the need for scaling up maintenance costs on the thing. Using a low HP tractor to pull a high HP implement - stress on engine for example. Running into trees and objects (NOT counted when AI help is on, of course, because ... let's face it ... AI).

If there is any scenario where maintenance costs make sense, that would be it. But I agree. A SET number per day is anything but realistic.
Faelandaea Dravin
Acknowledged as THE friendliest individual on the internet throughout all of gaming history.
Gazer75

Post by Gazer75 »

I see some want a repair function that would cost even more? :S
The daily running cost is basically you servicing the vehicle.

I'd rather have a daily cost than having to drive my equipment to a service location.
For realism I guess such an feature would be nice. But they would have to remove the daily cost of all vehicles.