whats better

clw2147

whats better

Post by clw2147 »

whats better for selling woodchips, the sawmill or the placeable heating plant? does the selling price for the heating plant change after each load like the sawmill, or is it a fixed amount?
TopSoil

Re: whats better

Post by TopSoil »

Hey mate. I didn't do exhaustive testing, but I do know I have avoided selling at my placeable heating plant for a few days.

I was doing a lot of field expansion, and created around 8 big 40k tippers of chips. I alternated a little bit, taking every third or so to the sawmill. I found that I crushed the price at the heating plant, but not quite as bad at the sawmill. They are related clearly, as I saw the price in the menu go down after I tipped the first load at the heating plant.

Two days later I did it again a little bit - I tipped one load at the heating plant and then the 2nd load at the sawmill. Less than an hour apart. Interestingly, I got significantly more at the sawmill AFTER tipping at the heating plant.

I have also completely abandoned the heating plant for straw, as the barn always gives me more $.

Clearly not a well planned or exhaustive test - but I don't use the heating plant at all anymore, other than an occasional test by tipping a load there and going "yup, still stuff prices there"
clw2147

Post by clw2147 »

damn, they've kinda nerfed all the big money makers.
OneAmongOthers

Post by OneAmongOthers »

clw2147 wrote:damn, they've kinda nerfed all the big money makers.
More like made them more reasonable and not stupidly over the top. Before in FS15 silage and woodcutting completely and COMPLETELY trumped anything. You made SO MUCH money off it there was really no reason for anything else. Now at least it's more balanced and gives you some more option other than chop wood or so silage. Heck even wrapped bales is something to consider.
clw2147

Post by clw2147 »

OneAmongOthers wrote:
More like made them more reasonable and not stupidly over the top. Before in FS15 silage and woodcutting completely and COMPLETELY trumped anything. You made SO MUCH money off it there was really no reason for anything else. Now at least it's more balanced and gives you some more option other than chop wood or so silage. Heck even wrapped bales is something to consider.
i'm actually looking at getting baleing equipment now(something i don't usually do) since i just noticed grass is no longer accepted for making silage
Beastbubba

Post by Beastbubba »

OneAmongOthers wrote:

Yep. Now all the farming is about equal. Logging is a lil messed up since you make more off chips than a log, but still better than the outragous prices in 15.

Now the only economy crusher is the new mission system, get paid way to much for them...
PC gamer.
BigC92

Post by BigC92 »

TopSoil wrote:Hey mate. I didn't do exhaustive testing, but I do know I have avoided selling at my placeable heating plant for a few days.

I was doing a lot of field expansion, and created around 8 big 40k tippers of chips. I alternated a little bit, taking every third or so to the sawmill. I found that I crushed the price at the heating plant, but not quite as bad at the sawmill. They are related clearly, as I saw the price in the menu go down after I tipped the first load at the heating plant.

Two days later I did it again a little bit - I tipped one load at the heating plant and then the 2nd load at the sawmill. Less than an hour apart. Interestingly, I got significantly more at the sawmill AFTER tipping at the heating plant.

I have also completely abandoned the heating plant for straw, as the barn always gives me more $.

Clearly not a well planned or exhaustive test - but I don't use the heating plant at all anymore, other than an occasional test by tipping a load there and going "yup, still stuff prices there"
Atleast you got to test the placeable out, but i figured they were going to be the same price.
OneAmongOthers

Post by OneAmongOthers »

Beastbubba wrote:
OneAmongOthers wrote:

Yep. Now all the farming is about equal. Logging is a lil messed up since you make more off chips than a log, but still better than the outragous prices in 15.

Now the only economy crusher is the new mission system, get paid way to much for them...
Eh I ignore them for the most part. Tried a few and really I got so much goin on now with my own operations I just buy the fields when I need to expand.
masterplan

Post by masterplan »

Best price is at the sawmill, but it's more timeconsuming. The second best is the placeable chipper and worst is the heating plant. Saw a resaerch on internet (UTFG) and it corresponds with what I experienced ingame.
FS22 @ Xbox Series X | waiting for a cool mod map :biggrin2:
thumbwiz

Post by thumbwiz »

I understand and agree that the economy is more balanced. But I don't understand why people saying the balanced economy gives you more options other than chop wood or do silage. We have always had the same options. I think what makes more sense is saying now we have better balanced options, including wood and silage.
X1 / PC gaming
Ontario, Canada
Mr.Smoke

Post by Mr.Smoke »

clw2147 wrote:i'm actually looking at getting baleing equipment now(something i don't usually do) since i just noticed grass is no longer accepted for making silage
Actually, cut grass can still be used to make silage. Not sure where you got your info from.

Beastbubba wrote:Yep. Now all the farming is about equal. Logging is a lil messed up since you make more off chips than a log, but still better than the outragous prices in 15.
Chipping should give more than solid logs IMO since more work is involved. Makes sense in my mind anyways.
Dogface

Post by Dogface »

Selling at the sawmill gives the price stated in the menu. The placeable heating plant gives an random price each time you use it. I assume the price is a distribution around the average price for woodchips. So, if the sawmill has a low price, it might be better at the placeable heating plant. Also, dumping at the placeable heating plant does not affect the menu price of woodchips, because you are burning not selling.
clw2147

Post by clw2147 »

Mr.Smoke wrote:
clw2147 wrote:i'm actually looking at getting baleing equipment now(something i don't usually do) since i just noticed grass is no longer accepted for making silage
Actually, cut grass can still be used to make silage. Not sure where you got your info from. .
nope, tried all the silos at the biogass and the silo at the cow pasture, can't drop cut grass into them. sais chaff only. the only way i've found of using grass for silage is to turn it into hay bales and use the bale wrapper
starsailorer

Post by starsailorer »

clw2147 wrote:
Mr.Smoke wrote:
Actually, cut grass can still be used to make silage. Not sure where you got your info from. .
nope, tried all the silos at the biogass and the silo at the cow pasture, can't drop cut grass into them. sais chaff only. the only way i've found of using grass for silage is to turn it into hay bales and use the bale wrapper
CLW, you need to collect the cut grass with the forage harvester and it will be accepted at the biogas, i do that inbetween corn growths to keep it going...
Beastbubba

Post by Beastbubba »

Mr.Smoke wrote:
Actually, cut grass can still be used to make silage. Not sure where you got your info from.

Beastbubba wrote:Yep. Now all the farming is about equal. Logging is a lil messed up since you make more off chips than a log, but still better than the outragous prices in 15.
Chipping should give more than solid logs IMO since more work is involved. Makes sense in my mind anyways.
A long straight log should give the most... just because chipping wood is an extra step for you dosent make it more valuable as a commodity. If that wee the case log trucks wouldent exist. They would just grind the trees into chips in the forest...
PC gamer.