Request for a map to be removed from modhub

Bradleyson

Re: Request for a map to be removed from modhub

Post by Bradleyson »

Dorset_FS_UK wrote:
Bradleyson wrote:
mayoollie wrote:The bottom line is very simple.

OP doesn't like Giants modhub because he feels some peculiar attachment to FS-UK, a site run by drama queens who can't cope with criticism.

His fear is that the modhub will simply detract from people using FS_UK to download mods. Of course he fails to recognise that FS-UK doesn't have a lot of mods anyway now, many of them are parallels from the modhub anyway, and, even worse, many mods that are featured there are actually downloaded from re-directed links to third parties like modhoster (and thus by extension, uploaded etc) or similar.

If Giants want to give BulletBill etc a million pounds a year, I've no problem with that whatsoever, the time (and skill) involved in making quality mods is not minor. As gamers, modders being rewarded by a developer for effectively offering more content are great because:

1. Increased encouragement for modders to make mods full stop.

2. Increase in quality of mods being offered, since Giants clearly won't accept anything they have not tested and think is worthwhile to add to the modhub.

So in essence, the complaint is a crack at modhub indirectly, which has (and always should have been) become the default place to download mods for all platforms, because they are tested, approved by the developers and a heck of a lot safer than randonly downloading zip files from websites in languages you can't even read.
Hit the nail on the head there bro.
I would second that what a spot on post *thumbsup*

But my little problem has now been resolved with Giants & the map makers can use them or remove them if they wish.
So do we get to keep your gates now?
Xbox one: bradleyson666
Any questions, ask away.
be polite and respectful.
Dorset_FS_UK

Post by Dorset_FS_UK »

I am afraid that you do.
Unless the map makers now chose to remove them and use different ones.
Bradleyson

Post by Bradleyson »

Dorset_FS_UK wrote:I am afraid that you do.
Unless the map makers now chose to remove them and use different ones.
Well that's good, don't want any other gates tbh. I like your ones. You have done a very good job with them. Glad you've got it sorted bud and thanks for taking the time to make them, I appreciate it and I'm sure many others do to. Good news :hi:
Any questions, ask away.
mdoss

Post by mdoss »

If I volunteered to help the Dallas Cowboys grounds crew get the football field ready for a game, then I learned that Jerry Jones paid Dak Prescott millions of dollars to play on that very field I worked on (for free), I'm not gonna try to get them to shut down Cowboys Stadium.

Dorset, you stated in the original post -
Dorset_FS_UK wrote: I gave permission for them to be used but at the time I was not told that both map makers are being paid per download from Giants Software of the map
...and...
Dorset_FS_UK wrote: I have even stated this in the mods Details on that down load link 'Theses gates are really meant to be used in the map making stage but I have released them as a placeable'
It sounds to me like you gave them permission to use your gates, and unless you put any restrictions on the map makers, they did nothing wrong in releasing their maps with your gates in them. Why else would they use your gates in the map-making stage if they were not gonna release the maps as tested (with your gates).?

You then replied that...
Dorset_FS_UK wrote: You also do know that my work is also in the FS15 version of this map...
Did the map makers of those FS15 mods get paid per download? If so, it seems like you should've learned this lesson with the last version.

Anyway, your gates are great and I hope you continue helping the mod community, but I think this post was silly. :)
FS19 - PC version
FS17 - Xbox One version (occasionally on PC also)
Intel i7 2.8GHz, 16MB Ram, GeForce GTX 1050
Gamertag - "Dossmeister"
"Kindness is a language that the deaf can hear and the blind can see." - Mark Twain
Dorset_FS_UK

Post by Dorset_FS_UK »

Did the map makers of those FS15 mods get paid per download? If so, it seems like you should've learned this lesson with the last version.
No they did not get paid per download then I am not that slow on the uptake.
It sounds to me like you gave them permission to use your gates, and unless you put any restrictions on the map makers, they did nothing wrong in releasing their maps with your gates in them. Why else would they use your gates in the map-making stage if they were not gonna release the maps as tested (with your gates).?
Again at that stage there was no mention that they would be paid per download, to be fair the map makers also did not know this.
but I think this post was silly
As this does not affect you in anyway it can only seem silly to you.

But Giants acted very fast & resolved this little issue of mine so in that sense this post in my case was very worth while.
Gizz

Post by Gizz »

IMO... this needs dropping now..

the modders involved have sorted this out between themselves and giants, with this new rewards thing the modding community is already going to be going through some testing times shall we say, so lets not go around throwing fuel on the fire before this has even begun, its sorted..

some of you may agree with dorset's view on the situation while others believe he was throwing his toy's out of the pram (stroller to our American cousins) truth is it doesn't matter! its sorted, what does matter is that this new super idea of giants (cough) WILL cause issues further on down the road, and its going to effect all of us, modders and end user's...

so we need to get our heads together on this and make this work for all of us, because right now we are looking at a huge wedge being driven between modders and we havent seen the pond life show up yet that will take advantage of this to its fullest...

Either way i dont think this has been thought through properly and we need to close these holes up quick with the cooperation of giants before we start taking on water and we all feel it..

So lets all chill and quit the snapping at each other because no matter what you feel about "gates gate" we really DO have a issue here thats going to need making a helluva lot clearer than it is right now and work for all modders and is not open to abuse from the pond life that will descend on our modding community when this gets out to the masses because right now its wide open for abuse...
BigJohnnyD

Post by BigJohnnyD »

Dorset_FS_UK wrote:Would it not be nice for people to see why I have asked for the maps to be removed, the other option is they get removed and people then get third hand info for why they have been removed.
I totally understand your feelings in this matter (and I've also seen the updates on FS-UK so I know you have come to a compromise). All I wanted to add was that I absolutely agree with you. Maps would be pretty bland through to downright awful without the mods created by people like yourself. I know it was never about the money itself but more to do with recognition for your part in the map making process and you are right, why should others get the benefits from your hard work without as much as a nod in your direction.

I have personal experiences with one of the map makers you had concerns about (no names-no pack drill!!) and I have to say his attitude to others isn't always what you would expect from a "community player". After months of exchanging PM's about all kinds of topics I had the audacity to criticize only one small point in one of his maps and despite several attempts to find out why I have never heard a word from him since.

Never mind ehh? It takes all sorts of people to make this world an interesting (if somewhat confusing) place to live.

J.
To everyone who has ever released a mod for my enjoyment, I say

THANK YOU

My game would not be the same without you.
Bradleyson

Post by Bradleyson »

At the end of the day if your work is being used in a map you need to receive credit for it, it's that simple. When I found out about the gates on chellington I was excited so yeah even though there 'just' gates, they make a big difference to the game. (For me anyway)
Any questions, ask away.
BigC92

Post by BigC92 »

Bradleyson wrote:
BigC92 wrote:
Bradleyson wrote:
It's simple, remove the gates then. Why does the map have to be removed :lol: you didn't make the map nor does your gate make the map.
Yes but David didnt have permission to release the map with Dorset's openable gates, it was for making/ testing purposes only. Ive seen this situation one too many times to not know whats going on.
David must of had permission to start with, so he's gonna use stuff for testing/making a map to then remove it before is uploaded? Lmao I don't think so. Dorset is butt hurt and its that simple, spat his dummy out and kicked up a fuss. Go fan boy somewhere else bro
He did have permission, for testing and map making purposes only, but Dorset didnt say he can release the map with his gates. And yes i do think so, he uesed them as a reference, its like copyrights you just cant sing and release a song without permission, so you go somewhere else, im staying here, you make no sence whatsoever.
mayoollie

Post by mayoollie »

LOL.

Changes his tune when suddenly a shilling is involved, nothing like adhering to ones principles is there. Not so worried about the big bad modhub and it's downloads now, eh?

As for 'some wedge driven between modders', errr there always has been a wedge- people with great quality mods and the remainder. For gamers, it is only win-win.

Giants are basically letting third parties create content for their game, which is then being distributed by their own platform, particularly into the closed ecosystems of Xbox and Playstation. Can anyone blame them then for compensating a relative handful of people for their time and efforts? Do you see the difference between just providing any old naff from a file provider, vs actually providing quality tested content which is equal to or better than content in the original game?

The fact the developer is now in on the act and encouraging modding (they even provide the tools and tutorials for heavens sake), is not going to kick modders into over-drive. And good luck to them. If you want to slag down Bulletbill or anyone else that is fine but they have do nothing but good for the community at large. Give them enough grief and they might withdraw their content or stop their endeavours, then you'll be back to modhoster and uploaded.net and having to pay hard cash to get content.... hmmmm!
Ace of Spades? Star Trek Online? Chivalry? Farm Sim? Supreme Commander? Add me on Steam: modifiedgenes
Bradleyson

Post by Bradleyson »

BigC92 wrote:
Bradleyson wrote:
BigC92 wrote: Yes but David didnt have permission to release the map with Dorset's openable gates, it was for making/ testing purposes only. Ive seen this situation one too many times to not know whats going on.
David must of had permission to start with, so he's gonna use stuff for testing/making a map to then remove it before is uploaded? Lmao I don't think so. Dorset is butt hurt and its that simple, spat his dummy out and kicked up a fuss. Go fan boy somewhere else bro
He did have permission, for testing and map making purposes only, but Dorset didnt say he can release the map with his gates. And yes i do think so, he uesed them as a reference, its like copyrights you just cant sing and release a song without permission, so you go somewhere else, im staying here, you make no sence whatsoever.
I'm going :frown: :lol:
Any questions, ask away.
Farmer BeAn

Post by Farmer BeAn »

bullet bill with this gate situation will coldborough be delayed on modhub ?? I'm happy with the 2 maps we got on console but always nice to see n explore a new one.
eric21

Post by eric21 »

Go on fs uk forum and it looks to be resolved
Roktaal

Post by Roktaal »

Seems like Dorset has a problem with ModHub rather than map makers. It's like "everyone will publish their mods to ModHub instead of my FS-UK so I will not get money out of adds".
If you don't want "your" mods copied and pirated than don't publish them....simple!
M.A.R.C.
GIANTS Software | Lead Artist

Post by M.A.R.C. »

The issue was resolved for all parties, maps as well as gates will stay online. Locking this topic accordingly.