Stump Grinder

The Scillonian

Stump Grinder

Post by The Scillonian »

My stump grinder will not work with my Fendt 900 Vario, either on the back or the front of the tractor. The grinder will connect to the tractor and the grinder can be switched on. it simply will not grind the stump. Is it because this is the wrong tractor? Or is there some other problem?
Bradleyson

Re: Stump Grinder

Post by Bradleyson »

The Scillonian wrote:My stump grinder will not work with my Fendt 900 Vario, either on the back or the front of the tractor. The grinder will connect to the tractor and the grinder can be switched on. it simply will not grind the stump. Is it because this is the wrong tractor? Or is there some other problem?
Make sure you see the animation of wood chips flying off the blade, it's got to be on the money spot for it to work. Make sure it's a nice small stump and stick the blade on top of it.
Xbox one: bradleyson666
Any questions, ask away.
be polite and respectful.
Bradleyson

Post by Bradleyson »

Sometimes you may have to move the blade left or right to get it on the right spot
Any questions, ask away.
BrettDavid

Post by BrettDavid »

I've tried both stump grinders and they both seem quirky. I landed on the skid loader since it easier to maneuver around the stump when it decides it doesn't like a particular side your trying to grind.
GrimGandalf

Post by GrimGandalf »

Be below the stump. I find that when I'm on a hillside above it - it won't work. Other than that it works fine
PS4, XBOX X & PC Video Game Farmer
WolfeUK

Post by WolfeUK »

Sometimes you do have to find the sweet spot for it to work, they are abit derpy, so long as the 'disc' is spinning you know its not your tractor
XB1~PC....I do struggle to understand sometimes, but i try :mrgreen:
W1der

Post by W1der »

With some stumps the "sweet spot" is actually not on the stump at all ... You will find it beside the stump ... :confusednew:
I do not know if "they" intend to fix this ...
[Win11] Intel Core i9-13900F Tray 5.6GHz / MSI RTX4090 24GB GDDR6 / 2x16GB 5600MHz DDR5
Bradleyson

Post by Bradleyson »

W1der wrote:With some stumps the "sweet spot" is actually not on the stump at all ... You will find it beside the stump ... :confusednew:
I do not know if "they" intend to fix this ...
My bad, haven't used the stump grinders in fs17 yet :)
Any questions, ask away.
aklein

Post by aklein »

I have had the best luck putting it on the back of the tractor and if you cut the trees low enough you can drive over the sump. I find it easier to hit that sweet spot by driving over the stump and then getting it as I pass over the stump.

Make sure you lower it. The stump grinder arm can be raised up/down as well as left right. As its been pointed out sometimes the stump is not where you see it but you have to move it around the stump. When you hit the stump it will toss wood chips till its gone.
The Scillonian

Post by The Scillonian »

Hi fellow farmers,

Thanks for all your help. I knew the grinder could be raised or lowered but not that it could be moved from side to side! I see that the cutter is sometimes quite a way from the stump. Anyway, now I know, its all sorted- thanks.
ouhaha

Post by ouhaha »

In my experience (FS15 and 17) sometimes you have to try from a different angle, rotate 90 degrees around the stump, and try again. Especially if you don't cut it 'flat'.

But it does work, on any tractor as far as I know.