Steering Wheels

oakchip

Steering Wheels

Post by oakchip »

I am asking for general help. I have been playing the game(s), FS 15 & FS 17 for around two years. In November 2015 I bought the Saitek steering wheel and side panel. Excellent bits of kit - until the steering wheel broke! The side panel still seems OK. Now, I gather Logitech/Saitek cannot (or will not) repair the wheel. Also, I gather the wheel has been discontinued. Perhaps not surprisingly given it's track record of breaking. Good kit while it worked, but... Now I am looking at a Logitech G29 or G920. My first choice would have been the G27, but this is only available second-hand. My question is which one would you choose? Has anyone any experience of these wheels. How easy are they to adapt/use for FS15/17? Any help or advice will be apreciated - and thanks in advance for reading or replying!
M&M

Re: Steering Wheels

Post by M&M »

Now I am looking at a Logitech G29 or G920. My first choice would have been the G27, but this is only available second-hand.

Welcome in oakchip !

I can only say that the G27 as been doing very well for me on FS17 and had never got any issue or bad experience while farming in that sim ... I also us the G27 for ATS truck sim with great ease of fun too if that could make you feel better about that type of wheel and pedals and shifter stick complet kit from Logitech. Got my many years a go and I am so glade I have done so as they are no longer at hand as new in the box I did hear ...

Cheers and wishing you a happy search on the wheel of your choice for this Farm sim ... :biggrin2:
W1der

Post by W1der »

Hello oakchip and welcome to the forum!

I have worn out 6 (or maybe 7) Saitek wheels within the last 12 months.
A brilliant controller really ... but sadly the quality is what it is.

Since my retailer no longer can offer the Saitek I started looking for a replacement.
My choice was the G920 ... and I have not regretted it!

I guess you will be keeping your side panel ?
If you also have a gamepad you can use one of the sticks on it as a "double stick" setup for "cranes" together with the joystick on the side panel!

(+) ...
Better accuracy both in pedals and in the wheel ...
The pedals has more realistic feeling (especially the brake pedal).
Software that allows you to alter buttons and add macros.
Not having the self centering feature is actually an advantage when it comes to "mid steer" vehicles ...

(-) ...
Not able to use the force feedback ...
There is however a self centering feature you might be able to get to work ... setting it at around 10-30% gives you a "realistic behavior" ... but ones you do any changes that "restarts the game" or "restart a game session" it resets to 100% and everything needs to be rebooted for it to work ...
During PC boot up the wheel starts spinning to find it´s center. When this is done I just pull the power cord and the force feedback is disabled.

Sometimes the power from the USB is enough to build a small "resist" in the wheel, but not a big issue.
Also ... this wheel is a bit noisy (when turning) compared to the Saitek wheel. Not a big issue for me either.

- - - - -

I just woke up ... not sure if I am making any sense ... :blushnew:
[Win11] Intel Core i9-13900F Tray 5.6GHz / MSI RTX4090 24GB GDDR6 / 2x16GB 5600MHz DDR5
oakchip

Post by oakchip »

W1der - thanks for your reply. Force feedback is not important for me in Farming Sim. The side panel is still working fine (thank goodness, I do rely on that!). There is, I believe, a piece of software available which helps re-map keys and buttons for X-box controller inputs to any other controller. The Saitek wheel I had was also noisy. It was a little bit loose when I got it. This has slowly got worse, and I think something inside has broken. Once again - thanks to all who read and replied.
rikerdude

Post by rikerdude »

I went the slightly cheaper route and purchased a T-150. On the side, I use a regular controller for the stick and walking. It also includes pedals.
Playing on PS4
aklein

Post by aklein »

Im not sure why folks seem so hung up on the G27 when there is the T-150 or the TMX if you dont care about PS4 support.

I use the T-150 for racing and FS17. I do wish FS17 had some level of force feedback though. :(