Broxton Ver 4 - Mud Activation & train fix

Your forum for all discussions around Modding.
masseyharris

Broxton Ver 4 - Mud Activation & train fix

Post by masseyharris »

Please See this post for latest info re Activating the built-in mud option, & also the auto train fix
viewtopic.php?f=895&t=109258&start=45#p985713

Version 4 information:

Now available in ModHub, version 4 - I've added a number of changes and improvements since V3, hope you like them.

Changelog ver 4.0.0.0

Different starter fields and equipment depending on difficulty level chosen.

32/64 multidirectional field furrows.

Added small starter farmyard area, amended some field sizes & added more removable hedges for those who like to start small and expand their farm.

Map is also 'mud-ready' - it is not active by default as it may conflict with Giants Ground Response mod, but if anyone wants to experience some muddy areas in my map, you can add the scripts easily to activate it (the scripts can be found on a number of other maps). I can explain it here if necessary, if there is any demand for it.

New Improved removable hedges - they now contain other objects such as barbed wire, bushes & trees. Just look for the cuttable tree or post within the hedge and cut it with chainsaw.

Purchasable farms! Now you must buy the plot to remove the for sale signs (farms owned vary accordng to difficulty level).

Seeds & fertilizer no longer purchasable on the farms - can be bought directly at shops and stored in the farm silos.

Fuel must be bought at gas station - can be stored on the farm using fuel tank trailer.

Added Brussel Sprouts & Broad Beans - for storage in heaps only. Uses combine type cutters.

Added Chopped straw function for Brussels & Broad Beans. No straw for these two crops, but chopped vegetation will be emitted if the mod is present. This can be ploughed/cultivated back in as fertilizer.

Repaired some faulty/missing fences & faulty crop textures.

Improved some areas for placeable objects.

NPC farmers will now use all additional crops.

Still fully compatible with Seasons mod, Improved snowmask and water planes. Some water levels vary by season, be careful crossing the brook ford in Winter, you might get stuck!

Added more trees, grass & decoration.

Independent Silo storage.
Be careful where you store your crops. Each farm stores a different selection of crops, and they are not inter-connected. So you must collect your stored crop from the same sile that you dumped it. I did not like the default method of dropping my crop at any nearby farm and collecting it later at a different silo on the map, as it would not be possible in real life.
The silo at Hampton railway station can store ALL crops.

Varying prices.
Prices vary as they do on default maps, but also, you will get better prices for more effort. For example, if you take potatoes and unload them at the merchant using the conveyors, you will get paid more than simply backing your trailer in and dumping them on the ground. It's only fair as someone else then has to tidy and move them onto the storage pile after you have gone.
Another example is at the garden centre - there are two bays for delivering logs - you can drop them in bay one for instant payment, but you will be paid a better price if you unload them at bay 2 using a grabber.
There are other examples to be found on the map but I won't list them all.

Manual train and Auto train.

Stray sheep - drive carefully through Duckington, as there are sometimes sheep wandering along the verge (active once you have bought some sheep).

Cattle crossing - if you buy cattle, they will make use of the crossing to move between their two fields.

NOTE - I ONLY post my map to this official site - any other site has posted it without permission. I recommend downloading ONLY from
https://farming-simulator.com for the latest (and virus-free) version.

------------------------------------------------------------------

New cattle crossing

free water from the brook
Last edited by masseyharris on Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:59 am, edited 26 times in total.
masseyharris

Re: Broxton 1.08

Post by masseyharris »

Original post (ver.1) :

Hi, here's some information about the Broxton 1.08 map. I welcome any feedback, bug reports or questions.

It is by no means an accurate real life map, but I have tried to capture the feel of the area. and if you know the location, I hope you will recognise some of it :)

Please see the credits at the bottom of this post for the non-Giants objects.

I have tried to add some features to make it just a little bit different.

1) the fields are small to medium, and basic in shape - this was intentional so AI helpers can work them efficiently. But there is a lot of scope for ploughing out to the edges, removing trees and expanding your fields, or for joining several fields to farm on a bigger scale if you want.

2) hedges are non-collidable - EXCEPT for map borders - if you collide with a hedge then it is on the outer border of the map.

3) there are FOUR farm silos. - Each of these is capable of storing a different selection of crops, so choosing which farm you use as a base is a bit more important. They store INDEPENDENTLY from each other, but the grand total is always shown on your PDA. I designed it this way to reduce the temptation to unload my crops at a neighbouring farm just because it is nearer than my own farm, which I believe is unrealistic. But of course you are free to use any or all of the silos, however you want.

4) there are lots of sell points. - basically, the more effort you put in the more reward you get - so for example
- using the self drive train will pay more than using the auto (lever operated) train as it involves more effort;
- taking your logs to the power plant or Farm & Garden Supplies pays better than taking them to Broomhill Sawmill, because you have to travel further.

5) you will find that there are conveyors already on site at the potato/beet merchant. You can of course steal them for your own use or sell them, but please note, you will get paid more if you use them to load the crop up to the top of the heaps, and less if you remove the conveyors and dump straight on the ground (after all, the staff would then have to move it all onto the pile and clean up after you).

6) any animals purchased can be unloaded at unload points inside most of the gates to their fields. Just drive in and the unload option will appear.

7) Yes, there are 3 sheep areas. I know it is not to everyone's taste, but that is the nature of the area, it's one of the features that defines it - there's never been a crop on those fields so it felt wrong to change it.

8) there is a self drive train AND a lever operated train.
The self drive can be used to take all grains from Malpas Railway station to Broxton Grain Distributors. It's not far, but the system was set up by the local farming union to automate things and reduce costs for the farmer and the suppliers - any savings in staffing are used to pay more to the farmer and to maintain the train. You can use the lever operated train instead if you want, it pays slightly less but it's obviously quicker. Or you can use the good old tractor & trailer & drive straight there. It's your choice.
The self drive is also used to take logs from Bickerton crane to Broxton Timber yard. Again you can drive directly if you want, but the train will pay slightly better.

9) the power station takes several combustible natural fuels - logs, woodchips, straw, manure & slurry.

10) you will see occasional stray sheep in the road in Duckington. And the pigs might sink into the mud occasionally.

11) there are water tanks at the central 3 farms, and also in the bottom of the valley as you drive through the stream, you can fill your water trailer there (there's still a charge for the water). On the rest of the map there are several other small ponds/pits/ditches. I created these myself, as they are all at different elevations so the default water plane would not work.
These ponds are for show, so you cannot collect water from them (although I might add that option in a future update).

12) finally, I know the selection of starting vehicles is a bit weak. I decided to make it a bit more challenging, so that people can work their way up to the better equipment. After all it is easy to use money mods and start with better stuff if you want to ;)

Thanks for reading :)

Credits:
I painted the direction signs & adverts and many building textures myself, and I have used mostly Giants objects in this map (from FS9 through to FS17 & one or two Demolition Co objects), so my thanks and full credit goes to Giants Software for all these objects. But I know there is also a number of third party objects (road pieces, a bridge, static animals and a few buildings in particular), & I have credited them below where possible, but others I just don't know their origins (I downloaded them a couple of years ago for FS11 or FS15). I do not want to take any credit for others work, and if you see any object on the map that is yours, please let me know so that I can credit you, or I can remove the object if that is your wish.

Giants: everything, except:

kmw
textures - road signs, direction signs, billboard adverts & signs, road surfaces & markings, mini roundabout junction/tyre marks, stream/pond/water planes, New Inn, red brick houses & others, stray sheep, cattle crossing, pig mud plane.

RealismusModding: Coding for Seasons Mod
Blacksheep: Coding & textures for Choped Straw mod

docspock: machine shed1A
teccer: shed 9x17
NI Modding: village house & potato storage shed, barbed fence, automatic gates
Monster, roller90, Matelo15: Static NewHolland tractor on display at vehicle shop
monkey mods: stone wall
sliclif and Mr Puma: Garage/chicken coop
willjsavage: signs 3d
Knuston Farm: power pole / lines, fieldfence
static sheep: seba j
unknown: factory building ; lighted billboards
Last edited by masseyharris on Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:17 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Guil

Post by Guil »

Sounds like a very well thought out map. Best of luck with it.
masseyharris

Post by masseyharris »

Thanks Guil, I enjoyed making it, can't believe how many hundred hours it took to learn and make, I'll spend a bit of time farming it now :)
I hope one or two others might enjoy it too, & I'll continue working on it for an update in the near future.
mdoss

Post by mdoss »

Any chance this will ever be out on console? :)
FS19 - PC version
FS17 - Xbox One version (occasionally on PC also)
Intel i7 2.8GHz, 16MB Ram, GeForce GTX 1050
Gamertag - "Dossmeister"
"Kindness is a language that the deaf can hear and the blind can see." - Mark Twain
masseyharris

Post by masseyharris »

I don't know the answer to that mdoss, I'd really like it if it could make it to console, but I'm still not entirely sure of the process & I'm learning as I go. If it is possible to get it accepted onto console then I will certainly try, I will update here if I ever find out more about that.
mdoss

Post by mdoss »

Cool, thanks!! Looks like a fun map!
FS19 - PC version
FS17 - Xbox One version (occasionally on PC also)
Intel i7 2.8GHz, 16MB Ram, GeForce GTX 1050
Gamertag - "Dossmeister"
"Kindness is a language that the deaf can hear and the blind can see." - Mark Twain
Fight-Test

Post by Fight-Test »

Awesome looking map. I really hope we see on console.
Tuurboclaw

Post by Tuurboclaw »

Looks like a great map!
masseyharris

Post by masseyharris »

Thanks for the positive comments. :)
I hope to improve it a bit further with extra crop types and features here & there & some decorative improvement, but mainly it's just nice to know that others might enjoy taking a look at it or farming it for a while.
chaseydog

Post by chaseydog »

Sounds like an interesting map. I do have a question about the 3 sheep areas. Are these separate navmeshes? My understanding was that you could only have a single navmesh per animal on a map, did you find a workaround or am I misunderstanding the 3 sheep area statement
masseyharris

Post by masseyharris »

No, it's really just a single mesh, but I shaped it to go through a gate into an adjoining field and also to go through a gap in the hedge, and into a field across the lane. We regularly used to see sheep on the wrong side of a hedge in Cheshire, so I thought it would be good to add it in, partly to make it look like there was more than one field of sheep, but mainly to bring a bit of life to the roads, & give us something to watch out for as we're driving :)
Guil

Post by Guil »

To get to console the chopped straw and related scripts will have to be removed. Also you have to have 3 error free mods on modhub for any mods to be eligible to make it to console.
masseyharris

Post by masseyharris »

Thanks Guil, I thought so, I read the guidance but wasn't sure I was understanding that correctly. That's a shame.
The chopped straw thing is not a problem as I always work on my 'vanilla' version of the map and then add in the scripted extras afterwards, but I don't foresee making three.
It seems a bit of a strange rule if you don't mind me saying. If the map is error free &/or suitable for console then where is the relevance in needing two other (unrelated) mods before it is allowed onto console?

If it is something to do with the payment scheme, I have not joined and have no intention of seeking any reward.
Anyway, sorry, I'm not complaining, I was really just asking on behalf of console users. Oh well :(

(LOL would it count to submit three versions? one 'vanilla' version for low-end pcs and possible future console approval, one with chopped straw compatibility, and one with other extras & more detail for high end pcs - chopped straw, additional crops, seasons, more hedges, trees, vegetation). Just a thought ;)
Guil

Post by Guil »

I have no idea on the ins and outs of it, just seen posts here about it. You could always make a few 3m tools...