Moving mods folder for FS 17

mikeskey

Moving mods folder for FS 17

Post by mikeskey »

I know I am not the only one NEEDING to move their mods folder to a different drive than C:. I have a somewhat small windows/boot SSD and My mods folder cannot sit on that drive forever, I am already starting to run out of space. I need to know how to move the mods folder out of the default location and onto a separate drive. Funny thing is I want the mods folder on the drive that my game is currently installed on and of course giants has to take over and put it on the windows drive by default, that's seriously a really stupid thing to do. Has anyone figured out how to do this yet? Or GIANTS! Please tell us how to make this work!
DukaSoft

Re: Moving mods folder for FS 17

Post by DukaSoft »

you need to edit the "gamesettings.xml" in "Documents\My Games\FarmingSimulator2017"

Look for:

Code: Select all

<modsDirectoryOverride active="false" directory="C:/Temp"/>
change that to:

<modsDirectoryOverride active="true" directory="your mods location folder"/>
Last edited by DukaSoft on Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PC User
Specs:
Intel i7-6700k @4.00Ghz
Nvidia Geforce GTX 1070
16GB - 2133MHz RAM
Windows 10 Pro 64bit
mikeskey

Post by mikeskey »

So....now not only do I feel like a complete moron but an ass too lol. I have FS17 installed to my secondary hard drive so I assumed that file would be on that drive with the game however I was incorrect and it is as you said in the documents folder which I never bothered to look in seeing as the game wasn't installed on the C: drive. Thanks for the eyeopener DukaSoft, all problems solved now lol.
joebandit47

Post by joebandit47 »

Mine is on onedrive, rather than my pc
TSM

Post by TSM »

this came up on FS-UK aswell and I offered symbolic linking as answer but also felt like an ass when one of the other posters pointed out the above :D
sebmoc

Post by sebmoc »

I have tried moving the folder to another drive but, instead of going in depth, it does not work for me. Obviously something I am doing wrong. Instead of the normal drive I tried to set it to the same drive as the game folder with obviously a different directory. Tried moving it to L:\FS17 but error stating mods are not loaded. How difficult can it be?
Pedlarpower

Post by Pedlarpower »

Hi everyone, I am really struggling for some reason with getting mods on FS17. I have downloaded them in the correct way and placed them all in the mods folder. All 44 have been sourced from ModHub or FS UK although when going onto the game to play only 3 of the 44 are on there. They are all compressed ZIP files but are not working. I have re-installed and updated the FS17 but no luck. If anyone has any ideas on why this is happening I would be very grateful. Thank you in advance
W1der

Post by W1der »

Pedlarpower wrote:Hi everyone, I am really struggling for some reason with getting mods on FS17. I have downloaded them in the correct way and placed them all in the mods folder. All 44 have been sourced from ModHub or FS UK although when going onto the game to play only 3 of the 44 are on there. They are all compressed ZIP files but are not working. I have re-installed and updated the FS17 but no luck. If anyone has any ideas on why this is happening I would be very grateful. Thank you in advance
As you got 3 of them working it seems as if you know the basics of how to install mods ...
A few mods wont work straight away as they are "hidden" within the zip-file. (If you find another zip-file within the zip you downloaded this is the file that needs to go in to your mod folder.)

However ... this is not that common and you have a lot of them that wont run !!!

Are you sure they are FS17 mods (not old stuff for FS15 and so on)?

Do you have a link to any of them?
[Win11] Intel Core i9-13900F Tray 5.6GHz / MSI RTX4090 24GB GDDR6 / 2x16GB 5600MHz DDR5
oZo TrIgGeR oZo

Post by oZo TrIgGeR oZo »

I am playing on xbox one and downloaded mods and there are more out bit the disk space is full how can I sort that
canadafarms

Post by canadafarms »

4 GB is the max amount of space for mods allowed on consoles, these are restrictions put in place by Sony and Microsoft. You will not be able to have every mod in the Mod Hub on your Xbox at the same time so you have to pick and choose which ones you want to use and only DL those.
PS4
jax31

Post by jax31 »

i have tried to change the gamesetting.xml with no result? any suggestions
1992Tadej1992

Post by 1992Tadej1992 »

You need to turn off the one drive and then you can move wherever you want.
Coopdeville89

Post by Coopdeville89 »

DukaSoft wrote:you need to edit the "gamesettings.xml" in "Documents\My Games\FarmingSimulator2017"

Look for:

<modsDirectoryOverride directory="C:/Temp" active="false"/>
change that to:

<modsDirectoryOverride directory="your mods location folder" active="true"/>
And how does one go about changing said xml file? Ive tried looking for an answer but haven't found a sufficient one yet.
wickedset

Post by wickedset »

There is a mod for doing this, search for MODS FOLDER SWITCHER by dajnet. I use it all the time so I can have different mods for different maps and only the one map in the mods folder at a time.
j_maybury

Post by j_maybury »

Can anyone help with my problem? I made the changes to my J: drive like this <modsDirectoryOverride directory=J:\FSmods active="true"/> And here is my path J:\FSmods\mods.
What happens is that my game will load new mods to it, but the game will not recognise any of the mod that are already in my mods folder, it will only recognise the new ones that I have downloaded from the game. can anyone spot the mistake I've made, and let me know please?