Weight or Volume?

RODHA

Weight or Volume?

Post by RODHA »

So, I had literally no idea about farming before FS17.

And one of the first things I've noticed that all calculations are based on volume rather than weight.

Normally, in engineering applications, weight is more preferable as it doesn't change by temperature. At least it is that way as far as I'm aware of.

But when I think of farming, volume makes more sense as different crops or fertilizers or other things can have quite different weights and volume seems to be a fair way of calculating value.

However, I've also read some complaints about why FS uses volume instead of weight.

So, which one is the correct approach IRL?
PS5 / FS22
ErwinR55

Re: Weight or Volume?

Post by ErwinR55 »

Weight of course, you cannot measure volume on weigh bridges or so. But we also like to talk in volumes to understand more easily the capacity of transport size needed.
Depends also a bit of what you are discussing about, gravel or sand for instance, you don't care about the weight, you care about the volume you need to fill a hole in the ground. On grains and stuff, you actually don't talk about the real weights of the product but the dry matter weight. But you still have to know the real weight to get your calculations done.
Unless you are talking about liquids, then it's volume mostly I think.

But in game volume is more appropiate for all sorts, as that is just easier to understand :)
PS4 player
RODHA

Post by RODHA »

Ok. So, irl it depends on the purpose and product/material but in game it makes more sense as it uses only one unit instead of a complicated measuring and evaluating syste. That makes much more sense. Thanks for the info *thumbsup* :hi:
PS5 / FS22
crash

Post by crash »

wheight. But no crop will be the same per liter(whatever unit you use) And the wheight wil vary with moisture. And irl you will get a deduction, sort of a tax, from the elevator/mill you deliver to if they have to bring the moistrue down..
Xbox series s and pc :gamer:
In Norway
RODHA

Post by RODHA »

It seems there are a lot of options irl for this.
Different approaches and applications.
So, Giants should have chosen one for the game and it was the volume.
Thanks for the info.
PS5 / FS22