New to farming? Ask questions here:

Progeekzy

Re: New to farming? Ask questions here:

Post by Progeekzy »

Is the new map bigger then the other ones? It seems bigger.
Nigelbilt

Post by Nigelbilt »

No
Thefisherj

Post by Thefisherj »

Progeekzy wrote:Is the new map bigger then the other ones? It seems bigger.
Probably as it's more open and less fields but bigger
NateS

Post by NateS »

All 3 of Giants maps are roughly the same size and each encompass roughly 400ha
PC & PS4
Progeekzy

Post by Progeekzy »

Is the new job worth it? lol. Everything is so small. 2.0 M wide seeders. Good lord. 800 runs up and down 1 field. I thought potatoes were bad lol.
NateS

Post by NateS »

It is worth it money wise. Just don't plant it in large fields. I took field 14 on the new map and split it in half. Planted each half a game day apart.
PC & PS4
pridor68

How do I know which piece of equipment is being reset?

Post by pridor68 »

When I go to reset a piece of equipment back to the shop, and I have multiple of same equipment, how can I determine which one will be reset? There appears to be no way of determining which one will be sent back. For instance, lets say I have 2 of same exact tractors and one is stuck somewhere and i want to reset it. In the reset menu they will both look exactly the same with same naming.
It would be nice if it would number the tractors alongside its model name when you purchase it or even let you rename it altogether. Please help.
FarmerJimbob

Post by FarmerJimbob »

When you scroll through the equipment their icon is highlighted in the adjacent map. Sometimes it can be difficult to see which icon is highlighted within the entire map but if you zoom right in on the map then it will jump to the small area where that equipment is and you should be able to differentiate for resetting.
Koen2709

Post by Koen2709 »

Hello im am new to farming and have some questions.

First the plow, when do i need to use it or dont need at all except for expanding fields?

2. Fertaliser, when do i need to fertalize exactly and in what form? Liquid, sprinkler or slurry?

3. When the crops are fully grown and ready to harvest, can they die of you wait to long to harvest? Hoe much time do you have?

Many thanks,

Koen.
Thefisherj

Post by Thefisherj »

Koen2709 wrote:Hello im am new to farming and have some questions.

First the plow, when do i need to use it or dont need at all except for expanding fields?

2. Fertaliser, when do i need to fertalize exactly and in what form? Liquid, sprinkler or slurry?

3. When the crops are fully grown and ready to harvest, can they die of you wait to long to harvest? Hoe much time do you have?

Many thanks,

Koen.

1 If you enable periodic ploughing every 3 harvests you would need to plough.

2 I fertilise before and after ploughing/cultivating/seeding and mid growth of crop.

3 yes crops can wither if you turn it on. They have 3 stages of ready to harvest and after the 3 stage they wither.
FarmerJimbob

Post by FarmerJimbob »

Koen2709 wrote: First the plow, when do i need to use it or dont need at all except for expanding fields?
If you have periodic plowing turned on you need to plow (or use a subsoiler) every 3 harvests of a field. Check the map screen, the field will be red when it needs plowing. If a field needs plowing and you don't do it you will only miss out on 10% bonus of possible yield. If periodic plowing is turned off then you only need a plow for expanding or creating fields.
Koen2709 wrote: 2. Fertaliser, when do i need to fertalize exactly and in what form? Liquid, sprinkler or slurry?
There are a number of stages you can fertilise a field from right after harvest through to the final growth stage (dark green). You can set to 3 stage or 1 stage fertilising in the menu. A lot of the sowing machines fertilise so if you have 1-stage fertilisation set you generally don't need a dedicated fertiliser. What you fertilise with is up to you. Using a weeder is totally free (except the cost of the machine) but limited to the 2nd growth stage I think (sprouting crop). Slurry/Digestate/Manure is free if you have built up a supply at the BGA or from your animals but you need a lot to cover a field. Liquid & Solid fertiliser are the most expensive but you get through much less of it so depending on your gameplay style it can be less hassle. Liquid sprayers have booms which makes it easier to see what will be fertilised but can be a problem hitting trees etc around fields. Spreaders avoid this problem but can be harder to know where your coverage will be. Top tip: check the working width of what you're working with and use the coordinates in the mini-map (also in metres) to work out where you need to position your next pass.
Koen2709 wrote: 3. When the crops are fully grown and ready to harvest, can they die of you wait to long to harvest? Hoe much time do you have?
There are 3 harvest stages, yellow/light orange/dark orange shown in the map screen, you can harvest in any of these stages. How long you have depends on your crop growth setting in the menu and whether you have plant withering turned on or not.

As you are just starting out I recommend checking out the in-game tutorials and reading through the help screens. There is a lot to the game so build up slowly, don't try and understand all the aspects right from the start. All fields you don't own (assuming you're on a Giants map) have missions - I strongly recommend doing these as they teach you various aspects of the game; let you try out different equipment; pay you much needed money; and give you a discount on buying fields in future.

Good luck and have fun!
Koen2709

Post by Koen2709 »

Thefisherj wrote:
Koen2709 wrote:Hello im am new to farming and have some questions.

Many thanks,

Koen.

1 If you enable periodic ploughing every 3 harvests you would need to plough.

2 I fertilise before and after ploughing/cultivating/seeding and mid growth of crop.

3 yes crops can wither if you turn it on. They have 3 stages of ready to harvest and after the 3 stage they wither.
Thanks for your reply, does it make a diffrence whenyou fertilise before and after plowing?
Koen2709

Post by Koen2709 »

FarmerJimbob wrote:
Koen2709 wrote: First the plow, when do i need to use it or dont need at all except for expanding fields?
If you have periodic plowing turned on you need to plow (or use a subsoiler) every 3 harvests of a field. Check the map screen, the field will be red when it needs plowing. If a field needs plowing and you don't do it you will only miss out on 10% bonus of possible yield. If periodic plowing is turned off then you only need a plow for expanding or creating fields.
Koen2709 wrote: 2. Fertaliser, when do i need to fertalize exactly and in what form? Liquid, sprinkler or slurry?
There are a number of stages you can fertilise a field from right after harvest through to the final growth stage (dark green). You can set to 3 stage or 1 stage fertilising in the menu. A lot of the sowing machines fertilise so if you have 1-stage fertilisation set you generally don't need a dedicated fertiliser. What you fertilise with is up to you. Using a weeder is totally free (except the cost of the machine) but limited to the 2nd growth stage I think (sprouting crop). Slurry/Digestate/Manure is free if you have built up a supply at the BGA or from your animals but you need a lot to cover a field. Liquid & Solid fertiliser are the most expensive but you get through much less of it so depending on your gameplay style it can be less hassle. Liquid sprayers have booms which makes it easier to see what will be fertilised but can be a problem hitting trees etc around fields. Spreaders avoid this problem but can be harder to know where your coverage will be. Top tip: check the working width of what you're working with and use the coordinates in the mini-map (also in metres) to work out where you need to position your next pass.
Koen2709 wrote: 3. When the crops are fully grown and ready to harvest, can they die of you wait to long to harvest? Hoe much time do you have?

There are 3 harvest stages, yellow/light orange/dark orange shown in the map screen, you can harvest in any of these stages. How long you have depends on your crop growth setting in the menu and whether you have plant withering turned on or not.

As you are just starting out I recommend checking out the in-game tutorials and reading through the help screens. There is a lot to the game so build up slowly, don't try and understand all the aspects right from the start. All fields you don't own (assuming you're on a Giants map) have missions - I strongly recommend doing these as they teach you various aspects of the game; let you try out different equipment; pay you much needed money; and give you a discount on buying fields in future.

Good luck and have fun!
Thanks alot for your reply, i will turn off plowing and crop witheren just to start with and also use 1 stage fertalising that will be easier to start with.
FarmerJimbob

Post by FarmerJimbob »

Koen2709 wrote: Thanks alot for your reply, i will turn off plowing and crop witheren just to start with and also use 1 stage fertalising that will be easier to start with.
Good idea - keep it simple to start with, you can change the options anytime you like to make it more involved later if you want. What difficulty level did you set it on? It doesn't matter too much since you can change all options regardless but it is really quite difficult making money on hard to enable progression in the game first time out. Normal is a good balance or easy if you won't be able to set aside hours and hours for the game.
sdewey

Post by sdewey »

Ok, Goldcrest valley no problem.. But in Oregon Springs and Hillcrest Valley - the tractors keep shutting off after 30 seconds, even while I am driving - any thoughts as to how to cure this issue?

Also, I cannot highlight the auto ignition tab in the menu - it's greyed out

Thanks
Steve Dewey