Ford Tractors and product licensing.

ClassicTractors

Re: Ford Tractors and product licensing.

Post by ClassicTractors »

redglasses wrote:how come when stuff gets retired it becomes even more of a hassle to get a license?
I think often times it is because the company either went out of business so there is no way to license it or the company has moved on to new and improved machines. It would seem to me that companies would want their "latest and greatest" equipment in the game as an advertising method.
CT Modding: Bringing the past to Farming Simulator....one machine at a time.

There's bound to be rough waters
And I know I'll take some falls
But with the good Lord as my captain
I can make it through them all

- Garth Brooks
niggle44

Post by niggle44 »

Thanks for everyones thoughts on this - I guess the only way I'm gonna be happy is to move to PC.
tecaterunner

Post by tecaterunner »

I guess my one real question is how can giants have nonlicensed products available for pc but unable to release them to console. I know that some mods have special or custom scripting but there is really no reason that console users cant have some of these great mods.
eric21

Post by eric21 »

tecaterunner wrote:I guess my one real question is how can giants have nonlicensed products available for pc but unable to release them to console. I know that some mods have special or custom scripting but there is really no reason that console users cant have some of these great mods.
Giants dont make those rules unfortunately, they abide them
tecaterunner

Post by tecaterunner »

eric21 wrote:
tecaterunner wrote:I guess my one real question is how can giants have nonlicensed products available for pc but unable to release them to console. I know that some mods have special or custom scripting but there is really no reason that console users cant have some of these great mods.
That doesnt really answer my question but ok since you know why dont you tell me. I see it this way is anything under the Agco umbrella should be here also anything CaseIH should also be here. JD and Ford maybe not so much but there is so much not being released and I see it as a scape goat when licensing is to blame on something's.
FordFarmer97

Post by FordFarmer97 »

tecaterunner wrote:
eric21 wrote:
That doesnt really answer my question but ok since you know why dont you tell me. I see it this way is anything under the Agco umbrella should be here also anything CaseIH should also be here. JD and Ford maybe not so much but there is so much not being released and I see it as a scape goat when licensing is to blame on something's.
For PC, Giants has nothing to do with those mods. For console, Giants has to submit the mods themselves, for Microsoft and Sony to test.
Tryin to make a 9700 Ford mod, one of these days
#LimeGreenPower
Playin on PC in Tennessee!
John 3:16: "For God so loved the world he gave his only begotten son, that whovever shall believeth in him shall not perish, but have everlasting life"
Old Iron Best Iron.
PM me for a Discord link.
eric21

Post by eric21 »

tecaterunner wrote:
eric21 wrote:
Case IH has lots of different departments within Case. But each machine has its own agreement. You see text on small writing about this, not all have them have but its usually found on thier webpage. Same with GT sport, each car has its own license.
TacoFarmer

Post by TacoFarmer »

tecaterunner wrote:
eric21 wrote:
Trust me,you will not get a definite answer from anybody that actually works with GIANTS on this.
PS4
Farm Happy My Friends.
WestBridge Hills-EL Bubbling FartZ Rancho Edition

You cant polish a turd ......but you can paint it GREEN and YELLOW .
BearClaw

Post by BearClaw »

I would love to see ford, fiat and valmets for consoles! But it depends ...
I love the smell of farming better than the profit
Guil

Post by Guil »

FordFarmer97 wrote:
tecaterunner wrote:
eric21 wrote: Giants dont make those rules unfortunately, they abide them
For PC, Giants has nothing to do with those mods. For console, Giants has to submit the mods themselves, for Microsoft and Sony to test.
That's not how it works. Giants have an agreement with some and Ms, if they were to submit every mod for testing to the console makers it would take forever to get mods out and likely would only be a few times a month. PC mods aren't under the same scrutiny because they are user submitted mods and Giants is simply hosting them. For console Giants have to upload the mods and that is where the issue lies. Giants don't upload mods for PC.
FordFarmer97

Post by FordFarmer97 »

^^ Oh okay. Thanks Guil
Tryin to make a 9700 Ford mod, one of these days
#LimeGreenPower
Playin on PC in Tennessee!
John 3:16: "For God so loved the world he gave his only begotten son, that whovever shall believeth in him shall not perish, but have everlasting life"
Old Iron Best Iron.
PM me for a Discord link.
Princeguardian

Post by Princeguardian »

Let me help you clarify. Everything about a piece of equipment is licensed and trademarked. From size and shape clear down to the nuts and bolts. I mean everything, and this goes as far as the 'look'. Do you look at an item and say yep thats a jd judging by the 'look' of it. So Giants has to get an agreement to put it in game. So one company may say here us access to the whole line up, another may say you can ony use these items, another just one item, and another just straight no. Some items may be time specific, like you can only use this line up tractors from 2013 - 2017. There may or may not be money involved, you can use these items for this price. So there is a bunch of hoops to jump through to make a game like this. CNH may say sure you can put a quadtrac in game but you dont have the rights to our case discs, or you can use new holland but not ford and so on.
Then we come to mods. With the release of mods on console has brought the legality of mods to the forefront. Is it legal to make and upload a mod of a trademarked item? From what i have learned is that yes it is illegal but when it is done from a single person on pc it really doesn't ruffle any feathers. Who is going to hunt down the creator of the mod? And for what to slap them with some miniscule fine, not worth the money and effort. However, in order for giants to bring a mod to console they themselves have to upload said mod to sony and Microsoft at which point they, Giants, becomes responsible. If that was to happen you could then go after Giants which is a multi million dollar company, which would be a juicy target. So until Giants has the licensing forms in order they wont release a mod. Then there is outside scripts which is also a no no. The scripts that Giants has released have been tested by sony and microsoft and have cleared. Unless they take over rights and implement scripts into base game and test it with sony and microsoft it cannot be released.

I hope this helps.
Princeguardian

Post by Princeguardian »

Oops sorry guill. Good explanation. It took me a while to write mine and i submitted it after yours.
Guil

Post by Guil »

That's a brilliant explanation of it.
Mobias

Post by Mobias »

One thing I've often wondered about is why more combines and tractors from already licensed brands appear on console? I've noticed there are loads of really well made New Holland combines out there but why can't they come to console? Presumably because Giants would have to pay extra to use them outside the PC version?