Let's talk about Forum changes

Lisertan
GIANTS Software | Community Manager

Let's talk about Forum changes

Post by Lisertan »

Hey guys,

one of my goals for 2018 is to improve the forums. I've been around for almost a year now, changing very little and getting the feel for the sorums and how they are set up and after all the months, I came to the conclusion: I don't like it.

So what's the problem?

My main problem is that the important forums are only subforums of 'game forums' (like FS17, FS15 ect.). I see that FS15 is still a popular game and I understand that Sky Region Simulator is the latest game of the series, but it's quite old now and the traffic in these forums is very low.

And what do I want to change?

I want to make the forums easier to use. It might not serve much purpose for FS17 anymore, but we are still getting new players pretty much every day. However, there will be FS19 and by the time the game hits, the forums should be as close to perfect as possible for new players.

before I go and change everything, I'd like to show you the plan and see what you guys think. The new forum structure would look like this:

News (stays as it is now)
General Discussion (is now a main forum)

• subforum: Beginners
• subforum: Media
• subforum: Off-Topic
Technical Support (is now a main forum)
• subforum Bugs
• subforum ModHub Mod Bugs
• subforum Support (that won't be a forum, it will link to the support page)
Modding (is now a main forum)
• subforum Maps
• subforum Machines
• subforum Objects
• subforum Other
Multiplayer (is now a main forum)
• subforum: Looking for Players
• subforum: Player looking for team
Other (is now a main forum)
• subforum FS 18
• subforum FS 15
• subforum Archive

As you can see, 6 main forums would remain, keeping the size of the forum the same, however lots and lots of sub forums would be gone and the main forums would focus on the current game only (so FS17 for now)

What do you guys think?
Lars 'Lisertan' Malcharek
Community Manager

History is on the move, Captain. Those who cannot keep up will be left behind, to watch from a distance. And those who stand in our way will not watch at all."
―Grand Admiral Thrawn to Captain Gilad Pellaeon
Azfoor

Re: Let's talk about Forum changes

Post by Azfoor »

What I would like to se is a support page for each mod, that way it's easyer to get help on a mod rather then starting a new thread or search for an old thread to post in. Other than that it sounds good! *thumbsup*
Lisertan

Post by Lisertan »

Azfoor wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:36 am What I would like to se is a support page for each mod, that way it's easyer to get help on a mod rather then starting a new thread or search for an old thread to post in. Other than that it sounds good! *thumbsup*
There are more than 700 mods right now, I won't create 700 subforums, that would be madness :D
Community Manager

History is on the move, Captain. Those who cannot keep up will be left behind, to watch from a distance. And those who stand in our way will not watch at all."
Azfoor

Post by Azfoor »

Yea but how does it work on fsuk? Like an automatic support topic is created when a mod is uploaded. I understand you can't sit there and create everyone by hand :lol:
Lisertan

Post by Lisertan »

Oh I see. That's because their website and forums work together. That's not the case here I'm afraid, the forum has no idea something got just released in the ModHub.
Community Manager

BrandonD01

Post by BrandonD01 »

I believe this new forum setup will work well Lisertan. Thanks
BrandonD01
JESUS is LORD!!
!!FARM ON!!

PS4 - CajunFarmboy
fenixguy

Post by fenixguy »

So right now when we discuss mods, (not how to make them, but using them/discussing them, etc...) we go to General Discussion. With the new format, would we discuss this in the Modding section?

Maybe the "Beginners" section should be "Questions/Help" because there are a lot of folks that are not beginners that still have questions.

Either way I'll be happy to see the forums tidied up a bit. Good work!

PS: Can there be a "John Deere Request" section somewhere that's cleaned out every day? :lol:
FS22 is the best one yet. Fight me!
redglasses

Post by redglasses »

Azfoor wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:36 am What I would like to se is a support page for each mod, that way it's easyer to get help on a mod rather then starting a new thread or search for an old thread to post in.
Yes, I would love to see this too *thumbsup* I'm all for these changes
Playing Lincoln Creek on PC
Upload your screenshots here: IMG server
My Discord
Remember there is no need to spread your manure around the forums :wink3:
Jack of all trades, master of the skid steer
hpmc13

Post by hpmc13 »

Please add a spot under each users' profile name where users can add the platform on which they play (PS4, XB1, PC, Mac) so when they ask questions those who want to respond will not have to ask.
Playing on PC
Bungle

Post by Bungle »

fenixguy wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:23 pm So right now when we discuss mods, (not how to make them, but using them/discussing them, etc...) we go to General Discussion. With the new format, would we discuss this in the Modding section?

Maybe the "Beginners" section should be "Questions/Help" because there are a lot of folks that are not beginners that still have questions.

Either way I'll be happy to see the forums tidied up a bit. Good work!

PS: Can there be a "John Deere Request" section somewhere that's cleaned out every day? :lol:
Using a Lely Juno??
Playing on XBone in Somerset, UK - Typically spending more time on the forum than actually playing the game.
jbordelon

Post by jbordelon »

I'm fairly new to the forums, so I still like them the way they are, but the changes sound good, also. I do mostly come here to discuss mods, though. I'd think maybe a "General DIscussion" under the Modding forum would be good.
Smith Modding

Post by Smith Modding »

Honestly I'm not sure how I'm gonna feel about the changes till I see them. But I'm excited, that for sure, these changes could be really cool
Smith Modding Co.
Christian Based Modding
Isaiah 30:23- He will also send you rain for the seed you sow in the ground, and the food that comes from the land will be rich and plentiful. In that day your cattle will graze in broad meadows.:
Playing FS15-19 on PC
Playing too much FS19 :mrgreen:
Specs-
i5-7300HQ|NVIDIA GTX 1050ti|16GB DDR4 RAM|1TB/500GB SSD/256GB M.2|Windows 10
Guil

Post by Guil »

How about a request subforum under modding? Change is good and I'm sure will be welcomed by most members.
RODHA

Post by RODHA »

Overall layout seems pretty logical and well thought imho.
I just couldn't understand what this is "subforum: Media"?
PS5 / FS22
Guil

Post by Guil »

A subforum for media related queries I presume or else farming related news that isn't from Giants.