Moving assets between maps

Your forum for all discussions around Modding.
LostManAbroad

Moving assets between maps

Post by LostManAbroad »

I would say I am still fairly basic level at modding, although I am learning quite fast. I am trying to help a group of my friends to prepare a map that we like but it is missing a couple things we would really like to see. The main thing I want to add is a TMR. There was a really nice machine on the last map that we used but I would like to transfer it over to the new map.

Does anyone know how I could export one asset from my old map to place on my new one?
Slivicon

Re: Moving assets between maps

Post by Slivicon »

If you're working with the old map loaded into giants editor, you can select a node and then do export selection with files to a new folder. Then, open your new map in the editor, do import from the menu and import the i3d from there.
LostManAbroad

Post by LostManAbroad »

This sounds simple enough but when I try to do that, before it allows me to save the new file it asks me, "Do I want to get the parent directory structure?". Do I want that? And what does it actually mean?
Dogface

Post by Dogface »

No
LostManAbroad

Post by LostManAbroad »

"No?" I don't mean to sound rude but that is not very helpful. I am trying to learn to mod here and I have not been able to find the answer to this within the tutorials. Any chance someone could be a bit more specific? When I open up the old map and I click on the Machine I am trying to export, that highlights the asset within the Scenegraph window of the Giants editor. I then clicked within the Scenegraph window on the parent asset. I want to make sure I get everything including its, triggers and objects. I don't want to end up seeing the machine in my new map but have it not actually work. I then clicked File --> Export selection with Files. This opens up a window asking where I want to save it. I am just guessing here but would I be correct in thinking I need to save it in the import folder within the folder where I unpacked the new map?

I think I figured out what was meant by "Do I want to get the parent directory structure?" but I am not 100% certain. It seems to save the files you are trying to export in the directory you have selected but then it saves the objects folder for that asset in the root directory of the map.
Dogface

Post by Dogface »

I had to go, but took the time to answer one of your two questions. The question I had time to answer.
FordFarmer97

Post by FordFarmer97 »

LostManAbroad wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:48 pm "No?" I don't mean to sound rude but that is not very helpful. I am trying to learn to mod here and I have not been able to find the answer to this within the tutorials. Any chance someone could be a bit more specific? When I open up the old map and I click on the Machine I am trying to export, that highlights the asset within the Scenegraph window of the Giants editor. I then clicked within the Scenegraph window on the parent asset. I want to make sure I get everything including its, triggers and objects. I don't want to end up seeing the machine in my new map but have it not actually work. I then clicked File --> Export selection with Files. This opens up a window asking where I want to save it. I am just guessing here but would I be correct in thinking I need to save it in the import folder within the folder where I unpacked the new map?

I think I figured out what was meant by "Do I want to get the parent directory structure?" but I am not 100% certain. It seems to save the files you are trying to export in the directory you have selected but then it saves the objects folder for that asset in the root directory of the map.
You asked if you should get the parent directory structure, he said no. Thats helpful in my view
Tryin to make a 9700 Ford mod, one of these days
#LimeGreenPower
Playin on PC in Tennessee!
John 3:16: "For God so loved the world he gave his only begotten son, that whovever shall believeth in him shall not perish, but have everlasting life"
Old Iron Best Iron.
PM me for a Discord link.
LostManAbroad

Post by LostManAbroad »

Telling someone what they should do without explaining why is not much use. I am surprised at the modding community here. The tutorials provided by Giants are extremely vague and lacking and yet when you ask for help trying to improve your knowledge it is like trying to squeeze blood out of a stone. If I had the knowledge and someone had posted my query then I would have said No as well but then I would have gone on to explain why because the better the knowledge of the modding community, the better the mods we have access to. I have tons of ideas for mods to improve this game, my skill level simply has not yet reached the level to create them.