"Lone Oak Farm" - Farming Simulator 17 - BulletBill - Frontier Design

wiseguy49

Re: "Lone Oak Farm" - Farming Simulator 17 - BulletBill - Frontier Design

Post by wiseguy49 »

BulletBill:
I must say, this looks absolutely INCREDIBLE and THANK YOU from us Americans for tackling this project. When you first posted up the screenshots I thought that it looked American, but I also thought there was absolutely no way that you would be doing an American map. I'm glad I was wrong about the second part.

Count me in as one who is looking forward to this one.
BulletBill

Post by BulletBill »

Thanks everyone for your positive response. My aim is to make an American map that actually captures the feel of the beauty of the American countryside. If I can manage to convince your guys of that then I will be happy.

I will update the WIP topic at a later date with some more insight into its construction.
Patrick73

Post by Patrick73 »

Any chance of telling us where exactly it’s based on...want to have a look around on google earth...thanx
crockus56

Post by crockus56 »

Looks amazing the subtle Merica' detail here is awesome. So far it looks like your effort is paying off. No America map with European buildings here. I like it!
Smith Modding

Post by Smith Modding »

BulletBill wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:27 pm Thanks everyone for your positive response. My aim is to make an American map that actually captures the feel of the beauty of the American countryside. If I can manage to convince your guys of that then I will be happy.

I will update the WIP topic at a later date with some more insight into its construction.
Trust me I've seen your work I have no doubt that you'll convince me that it's America *thumbsup*
Smith Modding Co.
Christian Based Modding
Isaiah 30:23- He will also send you rain for the seed you sow in the ground, and the food that comes from the land will be rich and plentiful. In that day your cattle will graze in broad meadows.:
Playing FS15-19 on PC
Playing too much FS19 :mrgreen:
Specs-
i5-7300HQ|NVIDIA GTX 1050ti|16GB DDR4 RAM|1TB/500GB SSD/256GB M.2|Windows 10
redglasses

Post by redglasses »

Those roads looks glorious. Cant wait to use some larger "American" equipment on a bullet bill map. :biggrin2: Put me on the hype list :lol:
Playing Lincoln Creek on PC
Upload your screenshots here: IMG server
My Discord
Remember there is no need to spread your manure around the forums :wink3:
Jack of all trades, master of the skid steer
Guil

Post by Guil »

Patrick73 wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:31 pm Any chance of telling us where exactly it’s based on...want to have a look around on google earth...thanx
EDIT
Apologies, I missed the timeline of when it was posted. Bulletbill has asked that no one share the location on any forum so please keep this request in mind.
Patrick73

Post by Patrick73 »

Guil wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:37 pm
Patrick73 wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:31 pm Any chance of telling us where exactly it’s based on...want to have a look around on google earth...thanx
I'm sorry but when you asked before you were told the farm owner wanted to keep it private and bulletbill said he wanted to respect that request. Please don't ask agan.
Apologies those posts were minutes apart, I wasn’t aware the location was a secret but I am now... thanks for letting me know
Guil

Post by Guil »

Sorry Patrick I only realised it after posting. Sorry for the confusion.
Turbojugend

Post by Turbojugend »

I just checked out The West Coast for the first time, and wow, the level of detail in this map is insane. If Lone Oak Farm is anything close to this it will be my all-time favorite.

Oh, and special thanks for considering us console players when developing these maps. It is very much appreciated!
heyimbill.com
BulletBill

Post by BulletBill »

-
New update available, please check the first post on this topic to find out more...
-

(To make it easier for people to see which section of the W.I.P. topic is new I will add this banner:

at the start of the latest section posted. Just scroll down until you find it.)
Scuba steve

Post by Scuba steve »

It looks amazing Bill, its awesome that your doing an American themed map, as I stated before, I'm beyond excited, the level of detail in your maps makes me say wow when I look at the pics and finally an American map with tons of detail!!!
FS17 on Xbox One X. FS19 on PC

Chicago, IL

MyYouTube Channel :coolnew:
mespalin

Post by mespalin »

Simply Amazing. I live in, and love Oregon. I see Mt Hood every day, except of course when the clouds obscure the view :) I am so looking forward to making this map “home”. Well done B.B.!!
FS17/PS4/CPF/OSF/Oakfield/Lone Oak/Seasons
RODHA

Post by RODHA »

I tried hard to find a clue on the edge of the map but I couldn't.
I really think the fields just continue on the pictures.
And if the edge line on those pictures are actually very close rather than being somewhere in the distance then all I can say is you have achieved your goal Frontier Design. It is impossible to distinguish the map boundry as it is right now :hi: *thumbsup*
PS5 / FS22
akuenzi

Post by akuenzi »

Lone Oak Farms is a place special to my heart, and I'm quite humbled that BulletBill would choose to turn it into a Farming Simulator map. :D Some time ago I left a post in a thread that asked people to share what their 'dream map' would be. Part of the first post starting the thread was this:
marlowc wrote: If you woke up tomorrow with mystical modding powers, what would be your dream map to make?
So... I described my 'dream' map, and somehow BulletBill came across my post. Might have been just a stroke of luck, as he'd just finished a major project, the beautiful West Coast map. ;)

My grandfather purchased this farm back in the day, I think in the 1950's. At the time, I'm not sure if there was a literal farm there or not. I know he did a lot of logging and land clearing, so some of this was likely 'built' by him. My father grew up there, part of a large family. Years later, I was privileged to work there myself, mainly during the summer harvest. It was a means to earn money to save up for college. Honestly, though, it was a 'gift,' because I received far more than a few dollars and cents just to go to school. Those were carefree days, and I loved the work and could hardly get enough of it. I didn't have to worry about the important stuff, like paying the bills, the weather, and all the other things that go into running a farm. I just showed up and worked, and enjoyed being with my uncles and cousins. Some of the best memories of my growing up life!

As BulletBill mentioned, this is a farm in Oregon of the US. Situated in the Willamette Valley in the northwestern part of the state, Lone Oak is one of many working grass seed farms in a region that seems perfectly suited to it. Dry summers, wet winters, and a fairly moderate climate. I won't bore anyone with how a grass seed farm works, as I'm not sure whether any of that can be incorporated into the map without a lot of extra work, but suffice it to say, it's a bit different from raising wheat, or barley, or the other crops we see in Farming Simulator.

The farm obtained its name (Lone Oak Farms) based on a large oak tree that is situated on a hilltop overlooking the farm. I have no idea why that tree is there, and why it's all alone. But I do know my grandfather was quite fond of that tree, and often took pains to ensure it was never harmed by his farming practices as he worked around it. The area is fairly hilly, in fact downright steep in some places, yet moderate in others. Part of working on the farm was finding enough intestinal fortitude to not lose your cool on a hill if a machine started slipping a bit. How that will come through on the map, I don't know. Some of the fields have square corners, and many do not. I always enjoyed working in their fields, as they seemed to have 'character.'

As BulletBill shared, it is an 'American' map. Sometimes it's hard to know just what that term means... just as one might ask what a 'European' map is, or a 'British' map. These are all big places, and there is much diversity regardless of country or region. It's no different with an American map. This particular map will be how it is in this particular area of Oregon... but it's certainly not reflective of all areas, neither of Oregon, nor of the US as a whole. If any expect the map to look like the American Midwest, such as Central Illinois, they might be disappointed. But I hope not. :D This just happens to be how it is here. There are fields in this area large and small. When I worked on the farm, we had fields over 100 acres in size, and we had them as small as about 15-20 acres, and everywhere in between.

Perhaps a word on 'artistic license' or compromise. It's no secret that BulletBill makes stellar maps with great attention to realism and detail. But it is no small feat to create a map based on a real life area, and have it be playable and appealing to many different types of players. A Farming Simulator map encompasses only a limited amount of space. I think a standard map is only 2 km square. It would likely be the rare place in real life that would have all the 'places' we play with on a regular basis in-game. And since this would be a rare occurrence, compromises and other artistic license must be taken in creating the map, even when it's based on a 'real' area.

As one example, BulletBill explained earlier that he had to scale the area down a bit to fit properly on a map. And that was only the beginning. Other compromises will need to be made along the way to make things fit and work together properly in the map, or to make it playable or appealing to players. For example, some likely noticed that the opening post to this thread indicated the map will contain a BGA. In real life there is no BGA anywhere near this farm, nor are they all that common in the US that I'm aware of. Of course BulletBill is fully aware of this, but he also recognizes that most players expect this to be in Farming Simulator maps. So he's chosen to put one in. And in reality, I'm not sure it's really all that far-fetched. We might not have a literal 'silage' BGA in the Lone Oak Farms area, like we would use in-game, but Oregon does have other farm-related types of 'biogas' projects, such as with dairies and food processors, so it's definitely a reasonable compromise to make. As another example, I'm not aware of any 'sell points' in real life on the area taken up by this particular map. There would be within a few miles of the farm, but short of making a massive 4x or 16x map (and a standard map is daunting enough to produce!), they didn't fit on the map. Somehow they'll need to be fit in, and I'm sure he'll figure out a way to do it that will look amazing. As one final example -- this is not a traditional grain growing region. Farmers in the area occasionally grow wheat, but most of the time it is something else, typically all kinds of seeds (grass seed, sugar beet seed, radish seed, etc.), fruits, vegetables, or other types of crops (nursery stock, fruit/nut orchards, vineyards). Accordingly, something that isn't commonly seen in this area is large steel grain bins, or grain handling/drying systems, such that might be common in other regions of the US. Nevertheless, because these might be 'expected' in a US map, they might end up being included in the map. Lone Oak Farms does happen to have one steel grain bin, but it is very small, and has been rarely used in recent times.

I can't speak for BulletBill, but I'm guessing that the best a map maker can do is to carefully choose what remains true to life, and what gets modified slightly (or greatly) so as to have as much possible appeal and enjoyment for the greatest amount of people... without getting themselves pulled in all directions in the process. :D

A few pictures of Lone Oak Farms follow (click to expand). I would love to be able to show real-life pictures from the same angle that BulletBill showed them in-game in his first post, but I don't always have one in hand. Hopefully a few others from the farm will suffice for now. :) Some from back in the day...
Image Image Image Image

And some taken within the last month up to a few days ago...
Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image
Pictures never seem to do justice to the real thing, unfortunately. But hopefully it gives a small flavor. More can be shared later.

Thanks for taking this project on, BulletBill -- I'm as excited as everyone else to see how it turns out!
Last edited by akuenzi on Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.