"Lone Oak Farm" - Farming Simulator 17 - BulletBill - Frontier Design

Jake2050

Re: "Lone Oak Farm" - Farming Simulator 17 - BulletBill - Frontier Design

Post by Jake2050 »

It was and still is a common practice in most of the world. After WWII aerial photography became a fairly large practice, they would either use a bombsight camera mounted to the plane or old fashions hand held camera, you could either hire them or they would take pictures of farms and towns, even construction project and then offer them to the owners. Just had a guy a few months back that was flying around and taking pictures, then offering them to sell
akuenzi

Post by akuenzi »

RODHA wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:00 am I wonder how the aerial footage was taken in 60's...
Hi RODHA,

I wasn't around in the 60's but I think Jake2050 has it correct:
Jake2050 wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:51 pm ... they would take pictures of farms and towns, even construction project and then offer them to the owners.
I really don't know how common the practice is any more -- I have memories of some fellows showing up at the door offering pictures of one's home. Some time earlier they must've done a fly over of an entire neighborhood... and then sent someone door-to-door selling pictures.

The greater question in my mind, is wondering how these guys managed to get my grandfather to part with a few $$ for the picture, particularly the first one, which was at a time when he had very little, and many mouths to feed. :wink:
Jake2050

Post by Jake2050 »

There's a guy that does it pretty often around me (i love on a farm in Ohio) he told me it's still a pretty big business. It amazes me that they were and are able to get money out of the older generation especially those that lived through the great depression
RODHA

Post by RODHA »

Well that is really cool. Aerial pohotography for commercial use in 60's is quite an advanced level of technical achievement. No wonder why US is far far away from the rest of the world in terms of aviation *thumbsup*
PS5 / FS22
Smith Modding

Post by Smith Modding »

@Rodha
Smith Modding Co.
Christian Based Modding
Isaiah 30:23- He will also send you rain for the seed you sow in the ground, and the food that comes from the land will be rich and plentiful. In that day your cattle will graze in broad meadows.:
Playing FS15-19 on PC
Playing too much FS19 :mrgreen:
Specs-
i5-7300HQ|NVIDIA GTX 1050ti|16GB DDR4 RAM|1TB/500GB SSD/256GB M.2|Windows 10
BulletBill

Post by BulletBill »

Just remember Smith the same nation who put a man on the moon also choose Donald Trump to be there leader.... :lol: :biggrin2:

Plus the guy who built your Jupiter 5 rocket was built by a ex-German solider/scientist who made the rockets for Germany in WW2...
Smith Modding

Post by Smith Modding »

We still got there first :lol: :lol:
Smith Modding Co.
Christian Based Modding
Isaiah 30:23- He will also send you rain for the seed you sow in the ground, and the food that comes from the land will be rich and plentiful. In that day your cattle will graze in broad meadows.:
Playing FS15-19 on PC
Playing too much FS19 :mrgreen:
Specs-
i5-7300HQ|NVIDIA GTX 1050ti|16GB DDR4 RAM|1TB/500GB SSD/256GB M.2|Windows 10
RODHA

Post by RODHA »

BulletBill wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:48 pm Just remember Smith the same nation who put a man on the moon also choose Donald Trump to be there leader.... :lol: :biggrin2:
That was the troll of the millennia :lol:
PS5 / FS22
Bungle

Post by Bungle »

Smith Modding wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:43 pm We still got there first :lol: :lol:
If indeed it ever really happened....... (worm
can opened)!!!
Playing on XBone in Somerset, UK - Typically spending more time on the forum than actually playing the game.
RODHA

Post by RODHA »

Nope. Because like earth, moon is also flat... sigh :neutralnew:
PS5 / FS22
BulletBill

Post by BulletBill »

-
New update available, please check the first post on this topic to find out more...
-

(To make it easier for people to see which section of the W.I.P. topic is new I will add this banner:

at the start of the latest section posted. Just scroll down until you find it.)
akuenzi

Post by akuenzi »

redglasses wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:38 am Those pics from the irl farm are beautiful, cant wait to explore it in the game, I'm sure bb will do it some justice :biggrin2:
Hi redglasses -- Thank you... and trust me -- 'bb' is doing an outstanding job on the map. ;)
ClassicTractors wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:39 am ... If you don’t mind, can we see a picture of the famous Oak Tree?

Thank you for sharing all the cool information about the real life farm!!
Hi ClassicTractors -- You're welcome, and sure thing! I've got some pictures of the tree below.

My grandfather always seemed to be a 'crusty' fellow, as shaped by some tough life experiences, such that it wasn't readily apparent in what he might have affection, if anything at all. But I do know that the lone oak tree was close to his heart, even for a man that had cut down a lot of them in his life (he was a logger before he was a farmer).

Following are a few pictures of the lone oak tree, for which my uncles' farm is named. Most of these are older pictures that were taken at various times of year by my grandmother (except for the first one, which I took a couple weeks ago). Apologies for the low quality -- the rest were snapshots first before I scanned them digitally.

Combine trio approaches the lone oak, which was one of the few staged picture shots ever taken on the farm, probably at the insistence of my grandmother. John Deere machines -- 6610 Sidehill, 6602 Hillside, and a flatland 8820.

JD 8820 combine in the foreground, the lone oak tree on the hilltop above.

Taken just west of the lone oak tree. It's the closest angle I could find that would match one of BulletBill's in-game shots, just not quite at the same angle.

I took this shot from the main barnyard, with the lone oak peeking at us from the hill in between the barn and windmill. Seems like only yesterday I took that picture, too. :P

The next pictures of the lone oak show a little bit of what goes on during field burning... and the care my grandfather had for his tree. :) My grandmother included a caption to explain what was being done. That's my grandfather's truck atop the hill, and he's 'back firing' around the tree. In other words, the field is about to get torched, and the tree is in the middle of the field... so he's burning around the tree first so that when the inferno takes the entire field, there will be a blank spot in the middle of the field already burnt that will leave his tree unscathed.

A picture of the 'back firing' work. Taken on a different year than the first one, but it shows the 'principle' of it. It basically involved taking the torch round and round the tree in circles, slowly burning small bits away from the tree, trying to keep the overall temperature down so that the tree wouldn't be harmed. It also gives some idea as to the size of the tree relative to a man about six feet tall. Probably a bit more now, as this picture was taken over 20 years ago.

This was taken on a different year, but this is basically what it looks like when the field gets 'ringed' with fire. The fire is so intense, that it creates its own mini-weather pattern, the wind rushing in on all sides to feed the fire, which sends the smoke upward, the fire scorching everything on the ground in its path. Another truck is parked by the tree, and I'd bet money my grandfather is in it, as if to guard his tree.

One final shot, this time from the lone oak tree's location looking back towards the farm. A few of my little cousins are in the picture also. ;) Hopefully this gives some perspective of the elevation change from the farmstead up to the tree, and the steep grade to the bottom just behind where the kids stand. Appears the neighbour is burning one of his fields in the background.
Zetor9145

Post by Zetor9145 »

Wow, What a map and to think of the real life storys that we are being told about it. Amazing.

As has been said, This is going to be a real treat for us players when it's released.

Keep up the fantastic work.
RODHA

Post by RODHA »

This map is going to be epic :coolnew:
PS5 / FS22
TacoFarmer

Post by TacoFarmer »

BulletBill wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:48 pm Just remember Smith the same nation who put a man on the moon also choose Donald Trump to be there leader.... :lol: :biggrin2:

Plus the guy who built your Jupiter 5 rocket was built by a ex-German solider/scientist who made the rockets for Germany in WW2...
And remember this Bill,if it werent for that flag in WW2 youd be speaking German saluting their flag.
PS4
Farm Happy My Friends.
WestBridge Hills-EL Bubbling FartZ Rancho Edition

You cant polish a turd ......but you can paint it GREEN and YELLOW .