The Modern Classic DLC from the Mod Contest is now available for PC and Mac

Wywurrie

Re: The Modern Classic DLC from the Mod Contest is now available for PC and Mac

Post by Wywurrie »

We just need to calm down and let the Giants team deal with this, I'm sure there will be further discussions with the companies involved and something will be worked out.
gnftr04

Post by gnftr04 »

Before posting personal opinions about anything I always try to make sure I know as much information about what I'm posting about as possible. This prevents one from making unfounded/uneducated statements about the subject at hand and embarrassing oneself in the process. I would highly recommend an internet search regarding gaming licensing on game consoles before going off on Giants and modders about what mods and DLCs can and can't become Console game content. Licensing for game consoles is far more complex than that for PC. If you want to be upset about lack of content/games for consoles I think you need to focus your ire on game console makers (Microsoft, Sony, etc.) and less on game developers who must work within the constraints/limitations of the consoles/console makers.
Derplodactyl

Post by Derplodactyl »

Some of the responses on here, on Facebook, and Twitter are unbelievable. I have never seen such disgraceful comments by so many self-absorbed, vicious little upstarts over something. We get that console players are disappointed, but some of the statements here are just downright nasty. I would understand if this were the whole of FS19 being made PC only, but it's 1 DLC - 5 machines with tools. I'm not denying that they're lovely - I would love to see them, but things don't always go to plan.

Given the way people are behaving, I'm ashamed to admit being a console player.
- James G | Derplodactyl (The Jaggler)
- Giants Ambassador 🇬🇧
- PC & Xbox One

PC Specs:
-AsRock B550M Extreme4 Steel Legend
-AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
-EVGA RTX 3080Ti XC3 Ultra
-Corsair 32GB DDR4 @3600MHz
-1TB Samsung 970 Evo Pro M.2 + 256gb NVMe Storage
Xboxfarmsim

Post by Xboxfarmsim »

OMG what is going on here? Seems some people have a lack of understanding how this all works. As for the personal attacks aimed towards modders I think some people need to get a grip. I play console and I'm happy to have what we have. Giants didn't need to add extra content, they didn't need to go the extra mile and get mods on console.
Massive respect to all the modders
Ian898

Post by Ian898 »

Well this topic seems a little out of hand, I just want to thank giants and mattxjs for making this dlc possible.

My take on console mods is that you can get a pc that will run FS for around £150-£200 so why not buy one you will have a full range of mods low quality or not also giants are not to blame for the amount of mods console or the strict guide lines.

also the mod contest was PC only and was made clear and this DLC is a spin off from that so I would assume DLC would be the same but saying that there is no reason this won't come to console but that's giants to deal with they never said to my knowledge that it would be for console but if they did means it will be because giants keep there word.
Frontier Design Discord Invite: [https://discord.gg/7P8ePvU] | My Facebook | My Youtube
Guil

Post by Guil »

Thread unlocked. Everyone play nicely please.
cmdrbyron

Post by cmdrbyron »

I would just like to drop this here, because I think this point has been overlooked by many:
Can't tell me its no licensing, because technically you have the license.
Licensing agreements between entities are not always binary all/nothing agreements. It is very likely that although Giants has licensed rights from several manufacturers, it does not necessarily mean that they have an "unlimited" license/right-to-use. Given the scope/nature of this game, I suspect that Giants has "limited" licensing arrangements, meaning they are permitted to use certain, specified/agreed-upon elements within a manufacturer's catalog. Manufacturers have an obligation to defend their Intellectual Property (which is what "gets licensed"), and typically spend a significant amount of time and effort in establishing the framework and specifics for such arrangements, mainly to preserve their company image.

Given that their can be financial compensation involved (because they are effectively allowing another entity to profit from their IP), many manufacturers go to great lengths to strike that delicate balance between maximizing profit and exposure. So, it may not always been "worth it" to seek an unlimited license to a manufacturer's IP, as it is likely very expensive, and likely not cost-effective unless the intent was to invest a commensurate amount of effort into employing the IP.

TL;DR Licensing is complicated matter, not always 1/0. Increased license scope = increased cost.
Lisertan
GIANTS Software | Community Manager

Post by Lisertan »

Hey there,

so let me get a bit more into details as of where the problems lie. It's more than just a license thing, but it's one of the issues.

I mentoned that one already: It's not as easy as 'oh you got the brand, so you can use whatever you want' That would be great, but brands want ho have a say in how they are represented and that means way more than just 'use all we have'.

The 2nd problem (and I didn't talk about that one last week, sorry. Things were crazy and I wanted to make sure I have more details first) is simply the way releasing a DLC on console works compared to a DLC on PC. You might have noticed that we've only released it on our website, no Steam, no retail ect. The reason is the same as for console: Because that takes weeks, it involves other companies (our publisher, Valve or Sony ect.) so making this happen would mean weeks from where we are now.

Take this two and add a 3rd one: The fact that transfering it to console would mean workload for our guys here as well, would, worst case, mean we would get the DLC way later and we would have to redistribute developers from FS19 to the DLC. Not ideal.

As you can see, a DLC is not as easy to release as a mod. It's not just 'let's press a button here'

Hope that gives a little insight.
Lis
Lars 'Lisertan' Malcharek
Community Manager

History is on the move, Captain. Those who cannot keep up will be left behind, to watch from a distance. And those who stand in our way will not watch at all."
―Grand Admiral Thrawn to Captain Gilad Pellaeon
eric21

Post by eric21 »

So if the did come to consoles, pre orders for fs19 would already be announced? And so no point in updating fs7 where fs19 is nearly out?
Lisertan
GIANTS Software | Community Manager

Post by Lisertan »

eric21 wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 3:19 pm So if the did come to consoles, pre orders for fs19 would already be announced? And so no point in updating fs7 where fs19 is nearly out?
Not sure, to be honest with you. It's hard to give a good ETA of how much time all these things MIGHT take, but it's possible it would reach FS19 pre-order time. The big issue however is not that there is 'no point updating once FS19 pre-order is here', but that once we reach the point where FS19 is in full swing, it will affect the interest for FS17 DLCs. The later it gets, the less likely it is that people are interested (if that makes sense). In addition, as I've said the (even bigger) issue is that we don't want to allocate manpower to that right now as we really need all hands on deck for FS19 right now.
Lars 'Lisertan' Malcharek
Community Manager

History is on the move, Captain. Those who cannot keep up will be left behind, to watch from a distance. And those who stand in our way will not watch at all."
―Grand Admiral Thrawn to Captain Gilad Pellaeon
lefe1

Post by lefe1 »

Thanks for all the info Lisertan. and Have fun on your summer vacation.
mythic

Post by mythic »

So all the DLC 's are on Steam and this one isnt going to be ?????
Thats just stupid!
I have all the farming sim games and dlc's on steam and i am not going to buy this on your site.
Smith Modding

Post by Smith Modding »

It's not GIANTS fault, it's how capitalism works. Is it really that hard to go on the website and buy the DLC? It's not really different from Steam. That's just a bit petty if you ask me
Smith Modding Co.
Christian Based Modding
Isaiah 30:23- He will also send you rain for the seed you sow in the ground, and the food that comes from the land will be rich and plentiful. In that day your cattle will graze in broad meadows.:
Playing FS15-19 on PC
Playing too much FS19 :mrgreen:
Specs-
i5-7300HQ|NVIDIA GTX 1050ti|16GB DDR4 RAM|1TB/500GB SSD/256GB M.2|Windows 10
Alagos

Post by Alagos »

Lol, that rant about Steam.

Was Lis's explanation not enough? If it took a month to put it on steam, why bother..
I assume people don't use Seasons, unless they say otherwise.

How to upload your >> log<<
How to upload >>images << to the forum
How to get your gamekey's activation limit >>reset<<
How to report a >> bug <<

>>Rules<<
Princeguardian

Post by Princeguardian »

Yep im saying chaulk this one up to the learning curve and keep the team on FS19. Maybe more of this type of thing will be ironed out in the next installment.
Thanks Lisertan for the info