Hyper-slow growth, 0 fun, dead game

blue_painted

Re: Hyper-slow growth, 0 fun, dead game

Post by blue_painted »

There is another way around. I know it works for PC players, no idea about consoles/Macs: The gsSetFieldFruit console command works in FS22 so with existing code it is probably possible to implement "overnight crop" whereby any seeded crop is set to ready for harvest at the midnight roll-over. I don't know if GIANTS considered using it, or what reasons there would be for not, but from here it looks possible.
Playing new "Beest" Intel i7-11700F with GeForce GTX 3060 and XBOX controller
also £600 laptop - AMD Ryzen 5600H with GeForce GTX 3050 XBOX controller

Dairydeere's A Guide to Finding Farming Simulator Mods - Please give this a read and help spread awareness for respectful mod downloads
DeadlyRivfader

Post by DeadlyRivfader »

For the brown tounged people in here I will give a few examples of other franchises and how they handle new entries.

Lets start with Final fantasy.
We all know that when we get a new FF game there will be changes, mostly in the combat system, and Square make sure to inform the players what the new game will look like and how it works.
If they decide to go back to the old school turn base combat system we will be informed. Just like they were informing us that the Final fantasy 7 remake would NOT be turn based even though many of us wanted it to be.

Lets look at Resident evil.
When they were announcing RE7 everyone was excited that they were going back to the horror roots and they marketed it that way so people new it was going to be horror and not a new Gears of war clone.
Same thing with Village where they went back to RE4 and the item management its known for. Most of us were focusing on some other things but we got the memo and knew what to expect.

Call of duty decided that Black ops 4 was going to their contribution to the battle royale frenzy and was even nice enough to inform everyone that thy would skip the single player campaign, and I think they got blasted for that.
BUT they were informing players about it.

These three franchises are some where the players have some expectations when a new game is coming but we also know that there might be changes that might make the new game completely different from the others. With the recent popularity of FF14 they even have a World of warcraft kind of game.
But what they also do is know how to market the games and informing the players about these changes. If Final fantasy 16 is a turn based rpg they will tell us, if Resident evil 9 will be a survival game where you can only hide they will tell us.

Giants did NOT tell us that it would be a completely different game. In fact they marketed it they opposite in the playstation store where it literally say "more player freedom than ever before" and yet here is a thread that has been going on since launch because they REMOVED the setting that made the game fun for many of us. And even though I looked on youtube about the new features before launch NOONE mentioned the forced gameplay.
You brown tounges refuse to accept it but not everyone want to play the game YOU play it and if you want to throw manure at us for that go work for Kotaku, I think they will love you.
chedder_farms

Post by chedder_farms »

^^ +1
One of the popular excuses people like to use is "well other companies do it"
StoneTheCrows

Post by StoneTheCrows »

chedder_farms wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 8:44 am ^^ +1
One of the popular excuses people like to use is "well other companies do it"
And one of the popular complaints people like to use is "Well other companies don't do it".

That argument works both ways.

And besides no examples will ever be clear cut. Giants told us there would be seasons and production chains. It's a matter of opinion whether what they told us was sufficient.
StoneTheCrows

Post by StoneTheCrows »

DeadlyRivfader wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 4:15 am
... I will give a few examples of other franchises and how they handle new entries.
You could have said this without being offensive.

If you read through the thread you will see there is unanimous agreement that having a better way of fast forwarding through the cycle would have been a good thing. We agree with you. Don't insult us.
gordon861

Post by gordon861 »

TobiHH wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 2:19 pm Here is a comment from Stegei about it...

viewtopic.php?f=874&t=185235&start=240#p1455098

translated:
We have discussed growth internally several times. A return to the old system is out of the question for us. That means we are bound to 1 growth stage per day, i.e. it takes at least 4 days / months until a fruit is fully grown. However, some types of plants need a little longer to have more "realistic" growth times, theoretically this could be reduced to the minimum, but we don't really see a big playful difference, which is why it doesn't make much sense to change this.

Rather, the idea in the LS22 is that you can more or less determine the speed of plant growth yourself by sleeping more or less often. With sleep, the option for faster plant growth is more or less obsolete.
Why the hell are we English speaking customers having to rely on someone to translate this information over from the German forum when we have been calling out for some form of engagement from Giants since the game was launched and instead just been ignored?

As mentioned elsewhere it does appear that Giants have hard coded the 'ticks' that trigger growth to the day change and there is probably something else also linked to the same tick that if they shortened it to hours rather than days something else would also break.

I would also surmise that this may also why we have few options to really tweak the start game as Giants seem to hardcode everything to each other.
--------------
Hey Giants, when are you going to pull your head out of your backsides and actually talk to us?
chedder_farms

Post by chedder_farms »

TobiHH wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 2:19 pm Here is a comment from Stegei about it...

viewtopic.php?f=874&t=185235&start=240#p1455098

translated:
We have discussed growth internally several times. A return to the old system is out of the question for us. That means we are bound to 1 growth stage per day, i.e. it takes at least 4 days / months until a fruit is fully grown. However, some types of plants need a little longer to have more "realistic" growth times, theoretically this could be reduced to the minimum, but we don't really see a big playful difference, which is why it doesn't make much sense to change this.

Rather, the idea in the LS22 is that you can more or less determine the speed of plant growth yourself by sleeping more or less often. With sleep, the option for faster plant growth is more or less obsolete.
Real translation:
We gave you Farming Simulator with longer growing times.
But, we also gave you Sleeping Simulator, for when you want to determine plant growth yourself.

So instead of the growth speed option from all the other versions, now they just expect you sleep for days/months. They didn't think of the other expenses that continue to build as you sleep.
njuska11

Post by njuska11 »

I dont see the big issue whatsover. You want minimum growth times? Turn off seasons and speed up time with a mod and sleep more. Whats the big deal. I dont get it. For us that want this game finay be more like its in the name (you know SIMULATOR) it makes perfect senses to have proper growth stages... this is not farmville or stardew valley for crying out loud
RedJester

Post by RedJester »

gordon861 wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 1:44 pm

Why the hell are we English speaking customers having to rely on someone to translate this information over from the German forum when we have been calling out for some form of engagement from Giants since the game was launched and instead just been ignored?
Noticed that too? :hmm:
gordon861 wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 1:44 pm As mentioned elsewhere it does appear that Giants have hard coded the 'ticks' that trigger growth to the day change and there is probably something else also linked to the same tick that if they shortened it to hours rather than days something else would also break.

I would also surmise that this may also why we have few options to really tweak the start game as Giants seem to hardcode everything to each other.
I believe this setup and design is also what is leading to a lag in developing specific GEO's for the seasonal cycles.
Cyrus1952

Post by Cyrus1952 »

I actually find I am busier with this system than fs19. I'm playing no seasons, 1 day = month. I stagger crop planting, so they appear at different times. I know, fall is harvest season, but doing it this way keeps crops appearing at different times. Add animals, production plants, if you like, or other jobs, you usually have something to do everyday. I guess I don't understand people saying I don't want to sleep all of the time. In 19 I was constantly changing the speed of the game, real time to get things done, fast time to get to sleep mode. In 22, I play constantly on 3x's. When I get the everything done I can that day, go to sleep mode, which literally take seconds, move to the next day and farm some more. I guess I am not understanding the part, there is nothing to do. I am constantly farming in this mode. Why would I stay on one day, waiting for a crop to grow, when I can move quickly, did I say quickly, to the next day? I know, since this is the way the thread has been going, to get ready for the haters, but I am enjoying the game so far. Perfect, no, but I understand everyone has their way of enjoying games. People have such differing opinions on how any type of video game should be played, not just this one, I don't know how developers appease all gamers. Anyway, that is it for me, HAPPY HOLIDAYS everyone and hoping for a better 2022[year, not game, well, maybe some on games]
TheGazbeard

Post by TheGazbeard »

gordon861 wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:40 pm
bossmanslim wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 6:07 pm Two things,

1) turn off seasons
2) you can sleep anytime, not at a specific time as in the past games. You can literally run a full year of game time in less than 20 minutes if so desired. Pick the desired wake up time and go.
Just don't try to do this on start from scratch, because as things stand right now, the only way to get a sleep trigger appear to be to buy a farmhouse for £150k.

I found this out last night and have just modified the game files to reduce the farmhouse to £15k instead.
There appears to be one heck of a lot in FS22 that Giants have applied 1960s/1970s style Argentinian price inflation onto. (For those who don't remember - the Argentinian economy collapsed with inflation rates of 1000% per week).

I cannot understand why Giants have completely screwed up the game economy with mega expensive buildings and equipment, at the same time as giving us snails pace crop maturity (yes, i love seasons and seasonal cycles - it's the pricing I'm complaining about).

I see sheds in the vanilla game priced at x10 the real world cost of those sheds. I have project managed supply and erection of those same (and bigger) sheds in the last decade, so i know their prices here in the UK. Giants, and the modders who've had mods added to modhub since November, are over inflating the prices on everything.

I foresee websites dedicated to repricing vanilla and mod files into realistic prices in the near future. I also foresee huge demand for a price editing mod with in-built template price lists.
My FarmSim farms on YouTube - Gazbeard
My FarmSim farms on Twitch - TheGazbeard
DEERE318

Post by DEERE318 »

"I cannot understand why Giants have completely screwed up the game economy with mega expensive buildings and equipment, at the same time as giving us snails pace crop maturity (yes, i love seasons and seasonal cycles - it's the pricing I'm complaining about)."

They don't play the game themselves, and their testing process is useless.
RedJester

Post by RedJester »

DEERE318 wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 6:28 pm "I cannot understand why Giants have completely screwed up the game economy with mega expensive buildings and equipment,
I see this as an oversight. Creating money sinks to help balance economy can be tough. Some things need to be rethought though...
DEERE318 wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 6:28 pm at the same time as giving us snails pace crop maturity (yes, i love seasons and seasonal cycles - it's the pricing I'm complaining about)."

They don't play the game themselves, and their testing process is useless.
The more I think about the Seasons/crop growth issue, them more it smells like a cost cutting boardroom decision that employee's have to defend.
Yes. Hardcoding in Seasons as the base default and attaching all crop growth to it probably saved time/money on game coding but was it the best decision.
Probably not.
Sheetbag

Post by Sheetbag »

This will be my first and last post. I wanted to say that I'm a very happy "customer" today. I just downloaded this game from Game Pass and decided to let you know that I am extremely happy I didn't spend money on this. It's ridiculous and it makes the game *censored* to even have to go online and find a workaround. There's probably nothing else I can say that hasn't been said in this thread already so farewell, Giants. Your game is bad and you should feel bad.
AlphaSoldier

Post by AlphaSoldier »

So it's been months with several updates and the slow crop growth still is the same. I can't believe that a game is released with less functions than the predecessor. Why isn't the crop growth an option you can change in the menu like it was in FS19?

And for the record I don't get why others say you just need to spread your focus on different things than just your fields. I, like many others, play the game for the relaxing farming aspect and not because we want to do forestry and other stuff like that.

An crop growth speed option in the menu would be great for everyone because people like me could use the "one day crop ready option" while more realistc players can adjust it to their liking.