Are greenhouses really that good?

adamjohnson

Are greenhouses really that good?

Post by adamjohnson »

So after making some cash from the starting fields and equipment. I did a brief analysis on what venture would make sense to expand into next and greenhouses seem great. They need very little equipment - just a water tank that can be towed by a pickup truck. I could add two water towers at 36K. Figure twelve greenhouses for 300K as a starting operation. All in all, around 350K for the whole setup.

Then I'd just have to drive the pickup to a water tower, stand there, drive it to two greenhouses and wait for the water to transfer, then do it again. If I arrange them in a two-sided line with two water towers at each end, I could just drive around the whole setup, filling up four greenhouses with each circle. Seems pretty easy considering the profit.

The profit would be 90/hour/greenhouse so in total 90x24x12 = 25,920. Equipment cost and building maintenance aside, figure true profit at 25K.

Seems pretty good, considering all you have to do is drive three laps with a bunch of stops.

Am I missing something or is it really an ideal opportunity for initial farm expansion?

Tags: ringtones downloads, mp3 ringtones free, message tones
Last edited by adamjohnson on Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Guil

Re: Are greenhouses really that good?

Post by Guil »

You need manure as well.
masterplan

Post by masterplan »

There's a discussion about greenhouses in the off-topic section here: viewtopic.php?f=897&t=102921

Anyway good idea indeed, don't forget about manure from pigs or cows, it'll give you double the income. But you'd need a lot a of animals to produce manure for 12 intended greenhouses. My 300-350 pigs could maintain 10 greenhouses with manure I guess, I've got 8 of them so far.

Forget about the water tower. Too expensive and the water is too expensive. Get the water in a river for free. ;-)
FS22 @ Xbox Series X | waiting for a cool mod map :biggrin2:
Frantic Farmer

Post by Frantic Farmer »

masterplan wrote:There's a discussion about greenhouses in the off-topic section here: viewtopic.php?f=897&t=102921

Anyway good idea indeed, don't forget about manure from pigs or cows, it'll give you double the income. But you'd need a lot a of animals to produce manure for 12 intended greenhouses. My 300-350 pigs could maintain 10 greenhouses with manure I guess, I've got 8 of them so far.

Forget about the water tower. Too expensive and the water is too expensive. Get the water in a river for free. ;-)
Yeah just dunk ithe anywhere in the river rather than paying for it. Just put your greenhouses next to your animals saves travelling. Just on that can you delete greenhouses?
PS4/ Thornton/ American outback : UK Player :hi:
masterplan

Post by masterplan »

Frantic Farmer wrote: Yeah just dunk ithe anywhere in the river rather than paying for it. Just put your greenhouses next to your animals saves travelling. Just on that can you delete greenhouses?
Sure, just sell them. They're placables. ;-)
I think I might have to sell one of these since I got 1 letuce and 7 tomatoes. The thing is that the letuce one cost me 6 slots, while every other tomatoes one costs just 1 slot. Pretty stupid this slot system. :-(
thumbwiz

Post by thumbwiz »

I personally think greenhouses are a perfect addition if you are planning to keep cows/pigs.
On normal, I have 25 cows producing enough manure to support 6 greenhouses easily. 6 greenhouses cover all my running costs plus and extra bonus. Considering water is free (if you don't mind a little drive) and manure is free, the cost is really just the greenhouses. As my herd grows I will buy a couple more greenhouses. Mine never run dry as I top them up during downtime waiting for crops to grow. If you don't feel like transferring manure, then you can just add water (required) and earn the amount listed in the store per hour. Adding manure doubles what the store says.
I cleared the trees between field 28 and the road and placed them there so I don't have to drive far with the manure. Iv'e cleared space near the pigs as well as I plan to invest there as well.
X1 / PC gaming
Ontario, Canada
Frantic Farmer

Post by Frantic Farmer »

masterplan wrote:
Frantic Farmer wrote: Yeah just dunk ithe anywhere in the river rather than paying for it. Just put your greenhouses next to your animals saves travelling. Just on that can you delete greenhouses?
I think I might have to sell one of these since I got 1 letuce and 7 tomatoes. The thing is that the letuce one cost me 6 slots, while every other tomatoes one costs just 1 slot. Pretty stupid this slot system. :-(
That's good to know. It looks like tomatoes all the way then lol.
masterplan

Post by masterplan »

Frantic Farmer wrote:
masterplan wrote:
I forgot to mention I'm on PS4. Maybe PC version does not have such a strict slot system, I don't know. We're promised 130 additional slots in the 1.3 update, which we still don't have.
Frantic Farmer

Post by Frantic Farmer »

masterplan wrote:
Frantic Farmer wrote:
masterplan wrote:
I forgot to mention I'm on PS4. Maybe PC version does not have such a strict slot system, I don't know. We're promised 130 additional slots in the 1.3 update, which we still don't have.
I'm and ps4 too so just watching my limit but a few more won't harm.
masterplan

Post by masterplan »

Frantic Farmer wrote:
masterplan wrote:
Frantic Farmer wrote: I'm and ps4 too so just watching my limit but a few more won't harm.
It's imho absolutely necessary. I don't wanna have a fleet of 15 exactly the same tractors. I don't wanna be forced to choose equipment not based on it's performance, price or simply how I like the design, but because of the number of slots it requires. In the same way I'm limited in the number of greenhouses, which btw. I like not only because of the profit, but I like shoveling sh*t. :-D
Frantic Farmer

Post by Frantic Farmer »

masterplan wrote:
Frantic Farmer wrote:
masterplan wrote:
It's imho absolutely necessary. I don't wanna have a fleet of 15 exactly the same tractors. I don't wanna be forced to choose equipment not based on it's performance, price or simply how I like the design, but because of the number of slots it requires. In the same way I'm limited in the number of greenhouses, which btw. I like not only because of the profit, but I like shoveling sh*t. :-D
Yes it's a pain but that's console limitations I'm afraid. I could play on pc but I fancied a change of pace. Most of my fleet is New Holland anyway lol, from that starter tractor right up to the t9. I have everything I need for animals, and all the grass and bailing stuff and the MF combine with the 25ft header that'll do for the 7 fields that I own for now. I'm just about to get some cows I done a load of tmr; water, grass hay for them, they are ready to go.
masterplan

Post by masterplan »

Frantic Farmer wrote:
masterplan wrote: It's imho absolutely necessary. I don't wanna have a fleet of 15 exactly the same tractors. I don't wanna be forced to choose equipment not based on it's performance, price or simply how I like the design, but because of the number of slots it requires. In the same way I'm limited in the number of greenhouses, which btw. I like not only because of the profit, but I like shoveling sh*t. :-D
Yes it's a pain but that's console limitations I'm afraid. I could play on pc but I fancied a change of pace. Most of my fleet is New Holland anyway lol, from that starter tractor right up to the t9. I have everything I need for animals, and all the grass and bailing stuff and the MF combine with the 25ft header that'll do for the 7 fields that I own for now. I'm just about to get some cows I done a load of tmr; water, grass hay for them, they are ready to go.
That depends. Count 6 slots for the 1st greenhouse and 1 slot per every other. If you stick with just one type. If you want both types, another 6 slots gone.
Well if you have differend New Hollands, then you have different tractors and they use quite a lot of slots. Same with combines - I got two different and I don't want to sell one for ridiculously low price and buy another one. I see no reason to it.

I'm also thinking about second telehandler and second wheel loader. Well I got the New Holland telehandled and I'd like my second one to be different, Manitou for instance.

And yesterday I got the suspicion, that leased items use just 1 slot. But I haven't confirmed it yet.
Frantic Farmer

Post by Frantic Farmer »

Yeah the slot system *censored* but it's not spoiling my game. I only have 4 tractors 1 combine and the skid steer...the rest is bailing, mowing, planting equipment. They are all mid range well saying that the seeder cost 100k. Just bought the tedder yesterday as well .35 piggies 35 sheep and cows on the way along with 2 greenhouses that's about it for my farm...for now lol
masterplan

Post by masterplan »

Yeah, I'd like the skid steer for grinding stumps, but nope, too little slots, so I grind them with the tractor attachement. ;-)

Pigs multiply quickly, I started with 14 and now I have almost 350 of them. :-D

But then I understand that at this stage slots are not a problem for you. ;-)
Frantic Farmer

Post by Frantic Farmer »

Yeah not at this stage but when the farm starts growing I might struggle. I can't think of anything else I need though at the moment. That little lot bring me enough cash in to keep my head above water. The grass silage brings me some good cash at 60 odd bales a cut. Not tried the bga yet.