How does multiplayer work?

BullFarmer

How does multiplayer work?

Post by BullFarmer »

I have been playing FS on single player for years, but never played multiplayer.
Lately my brother has started playing FS17, so I was thinking of buying PS+ so we can play multi player.

I was just wondering though, what you can do on multi player? Seems most people just do either logging or silage and I was wondering if there is a reason for that?

Would we be able to hire workers for things like on single player? (How many?)

Are both players able to buy equipment, take loans etc?

Many thanks!
Playing on PS4 and PC.
I7 3.5Ghz, 8GB RAM, GTX960 2Gb graphics.

Farmer/tractor driver in real life.
Barons

Re: How does multiplayer work?

Post by Barons »

For the most part it's exactly like single player. There are options to make both of you adminis and have the ability to buy and sell, however I'm not sure how the loans work. I believe they are global for the map but no one has answered that NE for me yet. If you find out let me know =D

In short it's way more fun farming with friends :biggrin2:
wildberry

Post by wildberry »

MP is fun but getting info on settings etc is hard as nobody seems to know a guide to them, or just doesnt answer about it
MC, aka Master of Cereals
whoneedsroads

Post by whoneedsroads »

Barons, yes the loan is global.

It all depends on the group your with. Basically we have a 'coop' system when we started the server the coop had 1.5 million for harvesters and some higher end equipment and a couple of fields.

Then the individuals were given 300k each for starting equipment/fields. I built an app to track equipment and finances of the individuals. There are some where everyone work together for the goal which we do with the coop fields, but have seperate farms as well It's fun so far
whoneedsroads

Post by whoneedsroads »

To answer some questions, The fastest money typically come from logging and silage, as well as it's a bit more interesting for some people I think that's the reason they do that.

As far as buying equipment.
When you log in you'll have 0 dollars. If a person switches to admin they have 100% of the total cost on the server. You can change one option as 'separate accounts' on and that will allow you to give out money. BUT as soon as that person logs off it goes to 0 for them and back into the server total.

Hiring workers is an option in the admin panel to allow people to hire workers and if that is set to yes then you can hire them. I've only hired up to 2 so I don't know how many you can as a max.
Barons

Post by Barons »

whoneedsroads wrote:Barons, yes the loan is global.

It all depends on the group your with. Basically we have a 'coop' system when we started the server the coop had 1.5 million for harvesters and some higher end equipment and a couple of fields.

Then the individuals were given 300k each for starting equipment/fields. I built an app to track equipment and finances of the individuals. There are some where everyone work together for the goal which we do with the coop fields, but have seperate farms as well It's fun so far
That's sounds awesome
W1der

Post by W1der »

whoneedsroads wrote:To answer some questions, The fastest money typically come from logging and silage, as well as it's a bit more interesting for some people I think that's the reason they do that.

As far as buying equipment.
When you log in you'll have 0 dollars. If a person switches to admin they have 100% of the total cost on the server. You can change one option as 'separate accounts' on and that will allow you to give out money. BUT as soon as that person logs off it goes to 0 for them and back into the server total.

Hiring workers is an option in the admin panel to allow people to hire workers and if that is set to yes then you can hire them. I've only hired up to 2 so I don't know how many you can as a max.
Tried to get some answers in another thread ... but I was beeing ignored ... :lol:
You seem to have some exp from MP ... help is appreciated!

Separate accounts ...
When ever anything is sold during this session, the money is split "50/50"?

Admin ...
If a friend joins my game that is run with my PC as the "host" ... Can he have admin rights (how)?
[Win11] Intel Core i9-13900F Tray 5.6GHz / MSI RTX4090 24GB GDDR6 / 2x16GB 5600MHz DDR5
whoneedsroads

Post by whoneedsroads »

hmmm I'm only speaking from the side of a dedicated server. I'm not sure exactly how admin works on hosted mp. for servers there's a section in the options for admin.

I think that's the split. I'll have to test the exact ratio though, but one part of it goes to the admin or server account and the other half goes to the player. I'm not certain if it goes equally to all players(eg 3 players splits 33%) or just split between selling player and the admin account
MinerMalfunction

Post by MinerMalfunction »

I'm also considering starting a dedicated MP server and also came here looking for answers to these questions..

So - in MP, is there no way for each player to be more or less their own entity?
Meaning... Can each player have control over their own equipment, land, and finances but still share the map with others?
I have played some on some other MP servers but I was always just working someone else's field with the equipment they had purchased.... I had no money, equipment, or land of my own.
It wasn't long until I was bored and went back to SP.
Alshain

Post by Alshain »

This is a single player game with hacked on multiplayer. Basically its ancilliary and that makes the multiplayer experience a bit less than you might expect. The biggest issue is synchronizing, every time a player joins the server all the players must wait on that player to download the servers data. It's unfortunate because mp is fun, but server hoppers can be incredibly frustrating.

For this reason this game is best played with a tight group of people on a private server rather than open to the public.
MinerMalfunction wrote:So - in MP, is there no way for each player to be more or less their own entity?
Not really, no.
MinerMalfunction wrote:Can each player have control over their own equipment, land, and finances but still share the map with others?
You can be grated your own money. Land and equipment are not restricted. If you step out of a vehicle, someone else can jump in.
MinerMalfunction wrote:I have played some on some other MP servers but I was always just working someone else's field with the equipment they had purchased.... I had no money, equipment, or land of my own.
It wasn't long until I was bored and went back to SP.
As I said, it's best played with a group of regulars where you all work for the benefit of the server. "Together Alone" just isn't in the multiplayer in this game.
Rokstr661

Post by Rokstr661 »

That's the trick, it doesn't work. At least for american servers....
MinerMalfunction

Post by MinerMalfunction »

Rokstr661 wrote:That's the trick, it doesn't work. At least for american servers....
What doesn't work..?

I wonder if it'd be possible to write a program to allow some sort of land ownership, as was done long ago in Minecraft.
You could select a specified area and then assign "usership" (for lack of a better term) rights to it.
I know the games are completely different but... I just wondered.

I sure wish Giants would have had the foresight to realize that people were going to WANT to play this great game TOGETHER and that farmers are not generally "communal" creatures when it comes to property and equipment ownership... (unless you're Mennonite or you are from the Amanda Colonies) :wink3:

I know, I know...
If wishes were fishes, we'd all have a fry; right?? :blushnew: