Making the most from forestry.

Alshain

Making the most from forestry.

Post by Alshain »

I had heard that the longer the log, the better the price. So I went to test this idea. I brought in a whole tree, somewhat large, to the sawmill. I saved the game and sold it. I got $1486. I then reloaded the game and cut the log in half and sold each half. The first half sold for 899, the second half sold for 1802, a grand total of 2701.

I've since repeated this test several times with similar results.

So clearly smaller cut logs produce more profit and this information I got was bad, but I'm wondering what are the full details of this mechanic. How can I best optimize the price I get for the same amount of tree? How big should my log pieces be exactly?
canadafarms

Re: Making the most from forestry.

Post by canadafarms »

If you go 12 threads down from this one there is a thread that goes into great detail on all things forestry....it's called forestry.
PS4
Alshain

Post by Alshain »

canadafarms wrote:If you go 12 threads down from this one there is a thread that goes into great detail on all things forestry....it's called forestry.
Is there a guide? Or a summary of that thread, or something that isn't 81 posts long?
canadafarms

Post by canadafarms »

Alshain wrote:
canadafarms wrote:If you go 12 threads down from this one there is a thread that goes into great detail on all things forestry....it's called forestry.
Is there a guide? Or a summary of that thread, or something that isn't 81 posts long?
Probably not, but I have been following it and there were players in there talking about the very thing you are asking.
PS4
Alshain

Post by Alshain »

Well I'm not seeing it, I saw one guy say longer is better, but I'm seeing the opposite is true.
canadafarms

Post by canadafarms »

Alshain wrote:Well I'm not seeing it, I saw one guy say longer is better, but I'm seeing the opposite is true.
Page 4 in the forestry thread....
PS4
Alshain

Post by Alshain »

canadafarms wrote:
Alshain wrote:Well I'm not seeing it, I saw one guy say longer is better, but I'm seeing the opposite is true.
Thanks for trying, but I don't see useful information there.

If anyone else has any info I'd appreciate it.
canadafarms

Post by canadafarms »

Alshain wrote:
canadafarms wrote:

I seem to have read around 8m was the magic number but whatever....
PS4
Alshain

Post by Alshain »

canadafarms wrote:
Alshain wrote:
canadafarms wrote:

I saw that, but what is 8m? There is no measuring device I have found that tells you the length of a log, unless I've missed it.

However, doing the save/load testing I'm finding if I cut it to about the length of my trailer (or just a bit shorter) it seems to be about the highest. Some variance in a bit longer or shorter, but only by about $100 for the whole tree, which really isn't that relevant.

canadafarms

Post by canadafarms »

Alshain wrote:
canadafarms wrote:
Alshain wrote:

I saw that, but what is 8m? There is no measuring device I have found that tells you the length of a log, unless I've missed it.

However, doing the save/load testing I'm finding if I cut it to about the length of my trailer (or just a bit shorter) it seems to be about the highest. Some variance in a bit longer or shorter, but only by about $100 for the whole tree, which really isn't that relevant.

There is a mod called the measure mod that the PC guys have, and that's where the 8m comes from. Us guys on console are sol but yeah from what I can gather longer is not better. The thickness also has some effect.
PS4
Alshain

Post by Alshain »

Well I have no control over the thickness, so it's fixed unless I just choose better trees lol.

Fortunately, using that trailer method seems to work as long as that is the trailer I am using. I'd be interested in finding that mod though, I am on PC. EDIT Think I found it :mrgreen:
The good news is, in that one load you see there from my first forestry attempt, I've almost paid for the equipment I bought
canadafarms

Post by canadafarms »

I haven't done much in fs17 even in 15 I didn't do that much but I plan on starting soon, that why I follow the forestry thread haha. That's probably best is use the trailer as a guide and find what works and go with it. I have also heard of guys counting there steps as they walked along the log. The tractor you are using would be a little more than 2.5 m wide if its to scale so that would be another way. If your on PC and really into forestry I would grab that mod. I am sure it is just called measure mod.
PS4
Alshain

Post by Alshain »

This is the one I found. I hope it's ok to link it here.
http://www.fsmods17.com/metermas-measure-v-2-0-fs-17/

Using the mod, the 8m pieces I'm getting are about the length of the one in my screenshot I measured with the trailer. Though it is a little more convenient to cut them before dragging them back to the trailer.
canadafarms

Post by canadafarms »

Alshain wrote:This is the one I found. I hope it's ok to link it here.
http://www.fsmods17.com/metermas-measure-v-2-0-fs-17/

Using the mod, the 8m pieces I'm getting are about the length of the one in my screenshot I measured with the trailer. Though it is a little more convenient to cut them before dragging them back to the trailer.
I guess two players that don't know anything can find a solution after all. :lol: *thumbsup*
PS4
Alshain

Post by Alshain »

canadafarms wrote:I guess two players that don't know anything can find a solution after all. :lol: *thumbsup*
Yep, thanks for your help!

I actually only bought this stuff to clear the area round field 7 for mowing, but now I'm having fun with it. :lol: