Post by Weedy weed NL »

Do sheep also need bedding with straw?
Xbox one player
Feel free to add me
Gamer tag: Weedy weed NL
Tuffer

Re: New to farming? Ask questions here:

Post by Tuffer »

Nope. Sheep need only grass and water. No bedding of any kind...at least on the two Giants maps, that is the case.
PS4 farmer
TPK1N6

Post by TPK1N6 »

What's the best way to plough fields? Guessing in real life you don't really do a headland pass? Harder to manoeuvre than most attachments though! Does anyone have any tips for bale trailers too? Turny wheels at the front are so hard to reverse! Thanks
grahoo87

Post by grahoo87 »

Hi, I'm new here so first of all I should say hello :)
I've bought Farming Simulator 17 with Season Pass for Xbox One a couple of days ago, I remembered that in FS15 it was a nice idea to work with grass to have nice amount of money from selling silage. Now I need to write some not so important things as a prologue, so you can understand what I mean.

I've sold all machinery and starting seeds (easy mode, beggining farmer ;) ). Bought Massey Fergusson with best engine, 2 Pottinger mowers to connect it in front and 1 Kuhn Windrower to connect it from the back. I had New Holland round baler too, Ursus stacker for round bales and Kuhn wrapper for round and square bales. I cultivated all starting fields, sowed grass everywhere, moved, baled, wrapped, collected and sold for huge profit. Then I realised that round bales can roll when field is angled a bit and stopping so many times to unload bale is a bit irritating. Bought square baler and repeated whole process but without cultivating and sowing again.

After that I realised that when I drive over a grass row and collect it with round baler, I have for example two bales, but when I drive with square baler I have only 1 bales even that those 2 New Holland balers have the same capacty (4000l). So here comes my questions:
Using square baler equals less bales?
Or maybe I had more grass just after cultivating and sowing?
Do I have to cultivate, plow, sow and fertilize to have more grass bales?

I want to maximize earnings while selling grass silage. Or maybe you have any other profitable methods? I need to buy more fields, more good machines and better tools (sowing with first seeder takes ages, cultivating too, need more width)
Farming Simulator 17 (Season Pass): XBox One S
Farming Simulator 15 (Gold edition): PC
Farming Simulator 18: Samsung Galaxy A (2016) / Samsung Galaxy Tab A
ErwinR55

Post by ErwinR55 »

TPK1N6 wrote:What's the best way to plough fields? Guessing in real life you don't really do a headland pass? Harder to manoeuvre than most attachments though! Does anyone have any tips for bale trailers too? Turny wheels at the front are so hard to reverse! Thanks
Plouging the headlands is always done last. Going up and down every time, not much more to it (except don't forget to reverse the plough every time if you have that type:P) But that won't hurt in this game though. No furrow you can mess up :)
But the larger the plough, the trickier the corners are.

Front axle steered wagons just require patience and skill to reverse. Goes easier if attached to the front of the tractor if you really need to.
But these type of wagon in the game are moving by itself (might only be ground response related though), so I try to avoid these for that reason.
Even had one wagon parked full of wool pallets, that tipped over by itself after reloading a save game (and it was saved before that).
PS4 player
ErwinR55

Post by ErwinR55 »

grahoo87 wrote: So here comes my questions:
Using square baler equals less bales?
Or maybe I had more grass just after cultivating and sowing?
Do I have to cultivate, plow, sow and fertilize to have more grass bales?
Square equals round bales, no difference in this game, unless you are using special mods

Grass is always fertilizer stage 1, you can fertilize 2 times more to yield more.
PS4 player
grahoo87

Post by grahoo87 »

Can I fertilize with sprayers/sprinklers? Two times? When I fertilize will it change its appearance after some time?
Is there any good FS17 wiki btw?
Hairy Bob

Post by Hairy Bob »

If you're playing on easy then fertiliser stages are set to 1 by default, meaning you get your full increase in yield from one fertilising, whether you use dry fert (spreader), liquid (sprayer), slurry or manure. Since grass retains one fertiliser state after mowing, I believe you don't need to fertilise it on easy, can anyone confirm this?
You will, however, get less grass if you cut it too soon and don't let it grow back fully.
Farming Kandelin and Pellworm on pc
TPK1N6

Post by TPK1N6 »

What's the reason for the ability to lower the rotor of a combine harvester? How do you know you have the rotor at the right height when harvesting the crop?
CarsenGray

Post by CarsenGray »

It won't harvest if it is too high.
FS-19 (PC)
Peter Griffin

Post by Peter Griffin »

TPK1N6 wrote:What's the reason for the ability to lower the rotor of a combine harvester? How do you know you have the rotor at the right height when harvesting the crop?

On the game it has no effect what so ever.
XBOX/ FS22
grahoo87

Post by grahoo87 »

Hairy Bob wrote:If you're playing on easy then fertiliser stages are set to 1 by default, meaning you get your full increase in yield from one fertilising, whether you use dry fert (spreader), liquid (sprayer), slurry or manure. Since grass retains one fertiliser state after mowing, I believe you don't need to fertilise it on easy, can anyone confirm this?
You will, however, get less grass if you cut it too soon and don't let it grow back fully.
Yesterday I fertilized grass, it grown more, then I fertilized 2nd time, state on map didn't changed but it looked like I have slightly more grass on field. Maybe today after harvest (real life harvest) I will play again and make a test, count bales when:
-no fertilizing
-fertilizing 1 time
-fertilizing 2 times
I will post results on forum here after my research

Almost forgot. When I fertilized grass for the second time I left wheels traces, after couple of hours it looked like there were no traces and slightly more grass like I wrote before.
TPK1N6

Post by TPK1N6 »

I had a random lease expense come out of my financials on first day of trading on Thornton Farm. I have not leased anything. Can anyone shed any light on this issue?
ErwinR55

Post by ErwinR55 »

Probably some standard equipment you had with the farm was leased.
PS4 player
Guil

Post by Guil »

On drumard farm you start with some leased equipment. Check Thornton isn't the same.