Farming knowledge

eric21

Farming knowledge

Post by eric21 »

How many of you and how much you know of farming knowledge before you got fs and after.

Ive seen lots people playing it on youtube and screenshots of people using equipment for the wrong reasons. An example would be using a mixor wagon on a field and nowhere near the cows or pigs
Guil

Re: Farming knowledge

Post by Guil »

I have no experience whatsoever of farming but since I got fs15 I'm thinking of working on a farm more and more. I know it wouldn't be easy but I like working hard.
RODHA

Post by RODHA »

Like Guil I had no experience whatsoever since I got FS17.
And working on a farm has already become one of my dreams but I'm not sure if I can handle the difficulties of the real thing.
So, I guess I'll just stick with the game.

But I'm seriously considering to go Agricultural Fairs (expo) if I ever find a big one in my country.
PS5 / FS22
oneway

Post by oneway »

I worked on a farm as a teenager and have grown up around farms all my life. I live and have lived in the mid-west USA almost my whole life. It is cool to see it on the way to and from work and then go do it in the game.
PC USER
wildflower

Post by wildflower »

Born and raised on the farm :-) best place for young boys to grow up!
Now i moved along and live close to the city but my old man is in pension and now we restore old classic tractors and join meeting with other enthousiasts ...
XBOX1 player: feel free to add: bonjolino :hi:
PrincessJessi84

Post by PrincessJessi84 »

ive never been a "farmer" per say but I do have some background in that area as well as heavy equipment in general.. raised and tended horses.. hauled grandpas crops with his ford day cab.. never did field work though as that was grandpas thing.. never seen him happier then when he was in the tractor or harvester.. and ive operated all kinds of heavy equipment.. ultimately that's what leads to my only real complaint about the game.. the equipment in farming simulator doesn't feel real.. it doesn't feel like heavy equipment to me at all.. it feels like toys
https://fs19communitytrader.freeforums.net/
PC
PC - Ryzen 7-2700 8core, 32gb ram, 2x2tb SSD, RTX 2080 SUPER 8gb, GX-850 Gold PSU
Displays - ASUS ROG Strix XG43VQ 43” Super Ultra-Wide Curved HDR Gaming Monitor 120Hz (3840 x 1200)
Samsung CFG70 27" Curved gaming Monitor 144HZ (1920 x 1080)
2x 24" Dell Monitors
Controllers - T150 Pro, Side Panel, TrackIR7, TM Stick
fenixguy

Post by fenixguy »

Been around farming all my life. Both grandpas used to raise tobacco. They quit around the time I got old enough to help out (which I hear is a good thing). Both grandpas put up hay until I was about 15 years old or so. Was my favorite time of year. My grandpa on my dad's side would pick me up from school when it was time to mow hay. Some of my fondest memories are sitting on his lap driving the tractor. I could back a hay trailer in the barn before I could reach the clutch and brake peddles. One of my grandpas passed away last year and the other is turning 80 this year. Recently, he got into restoring 8N Ford tractors. He's done two in the last three years. They went from not running to almost show quality. We got them both out this past weekend and drove them a bit to charge the batteries.

I'm certainly not claiming to be a farmer. But I love being around it and have always had a fascination with heavy equipment. And if there's something in-game that I'm not familiar with, I'll go to YouTube to see how it's done.
FS22 is the best one yet. Fight me!
CattleMan

Post by CattleMan »

I was born and raised on working cattle ranches and farms. Been around it my whole life... I've done a fair amount of it all IRL from ground work, planting, haying, and cowboying. Always loved haying season and the smells of fresh cut alfalfa hay. And on the opposite end of the spectrum is calving season... cold, wet, and long hours checking on and helping pregnant cows give birth. Good feeling to help bring life into the world but miserable conditions and sacrifices to make it happen.
Ride the wind and shoot the stars. Why chase your dreams when you can live them?
garyst

Post by garyst »

Know almost everything about growing row crops like soybeans, corn, cotton, sugarcane, rice, wheat, and milo, but don't know much about any kind of animal farming or silage crops, limited knowledge on potato or sugarbeet farming.
cr41g_1965

Post by cr41g_1965 »

My Grandfather had pigs when I was really young...he stopped when my father couldn't help on the farm anymore because he started at GM... sadly that would be the extent of my farming knowledge... other than the info I pick up here and there. That being said... if there was a way I could drop everything and farm full time on my own land and make my own future... I would be all over it. At 52..Hard work doesn't scare me and I know Farm Sim really simplfies the hardship and struggle that everyday farming is in reality... but I would love it

Farming Simulator 76

playing RDR2
Bradleyson

Post by Bradleyson »

Born and raised on a farm in wales, moved to civilisation when I was 17, biggest mistake of my life. Farm life is the best, it really is. Want your kids to have a good childhood? You know what to do :lol:
DeereJason

Post by DeereJason »

My first 20 years of life were completely immersed in farming. Raised on a dairy farm that also raised pigs, sheep and laying hens at one time. I still am around it, but at arms length. Always learning and staying up to date on news and new things.

FS hasn't really taught me anything other than a few European brands that I wasn't aware of before. If anything, it can be frustrating because of the game utilizing obscure or nearly nonexistent practices. I understand the "game" aspect, but it can also be an opportunity to teach the general public what farming really is. For the sake of this crowd, it's 95% less tractor driving and (at least from the dairy side) far more being covered head to toe in manure! Lol Seriously though, it is far more about managing very small profit margins, fitting field work in small windows of time and weather, wet vs dry years, fluctuating market prices, animal genetics and basically fighting with the outside world over everything you do.
JohnDeere318

Post by JohnDeere318 »

I was not born on a farm, but both my grandpas in my family farmed. Only mom's side is still farming and I help him every fall with the harvest. I run the grain cart. I have been helping him out for a few years now and built up my farming knowledge. Every fall, learn something new about these machines and what to do differently. I also have my garden, been learning new ways to make it grow better and to keep the weeds out. Once our chickens died, I didn't know what to do. So, I bought a lawn sweeper, got some grass from when I mowed, put it between the rows, and the weeds weren't as out of control. They were there, but not that bad actually. Grass is a big life saver, especially in gardens, the nitrogen boosts the crop and it keeps the weeds out. *thumbsup* I grew popcorn last year and it was a pretty good harvest actually, planted yellow and red kernel popcorn. The red kernel popcorn pops white and has red husks. Pretty unusual popcorn, but it was the best popcorn I had EVER. There's more I could talk about, but that's just about the gist of my farming knowledge. :zunge:

FS, when I bought it, has really broadened my farming knowledge tremendously! Not kidding, it made me think about other options I could do in real life. I know a lot more brands now that I never knew and a lot of machinery that I didn't even know existed, since us Iowans don't do some of that stuff. Like plowing, we don't do that, we have a chisel plow, but that's about it and cultivators. I have been surrounded by John Deere my whole life, so I was super surprised to see the different machinery and the ability to use them. FS has to be in my top 10 best things I have ever purchased in my life, FS really changed me. :blushnew:

Here is what I use when helping with the harvest (not mine btw, my grandpa bought them, but these aren't his equipment in the pictures, but similar):

ImageImage

I am pretty sure that the grain cart could hold just about 70k pounds of grain in it, and you can really hear the tractor grunting when pulling it with 60k pounds of grain in it. :lol:
My PC specs: Click Here (Google Doc) :gamer:

How to post your log.txt
Garion

Post by Garion »

Growing up in Iowa I've been around farming all my life. My Grandma lived on an acreage when I was little and raised pigs. She's remarried now with farmland and cattle. I grew up helping a lot of different farmers with different tasks, mostly livestock or bailing, and it stuck. I now manage a sow farm with 6200 sows, 8000 piglets and a gilt farm with 1500 gilts. But my favorite thing to do in the game besides raising livestock is bailing. :lol:
Farming on PC *thumbsup* and PS4 :biggrin2:
Straw-Walker

Post by Straw-Walker »

I worked as an aircraft engineer with a local operator for several years after finishing an apprenticeship with a major manufacturer. The company ceased operating and I took a temporary job on a local farm.(See my website). I stayed for 35 years, driving, repairing and maintaining many types of machinery until I retired. Though the hours were long and the pay poor, it was a very pleasant life in the heart of the English countryside. FS17 brings back memories of the good times I've had down on the farm and allows me to 'drive' some of the latest machines from around the world.
Disk version, Update 1.4.4 on Win10 PC with Xbox controller.
http://www.g4mix.co.uk