Stacking Logs On A Standard Baler Trailer - Day One!

Poppyfarmaston

Stacking Logs On A Standard Baler Trailer - Day One!

Post by Poppyfarmaston »

It's end of Day One with the seasons mod enabled (ON HARD!) where I finish off the night with a massive load of logs on a standard baler trailer. At his point I am only leasing with my intention to pay off the starter loan of $90 000 by day two. I've cleared the trees around the farm (Golden Valley Map) and ploughed a new field in the mid section behind the vehicle bays.

Image--Image

I'm sure others out there might know of a better way to cart off logs, but for me I can't seem to go wrong using the standard baler trailer (although towards the end of the night I was all over the place and actually tip a load - is in a video I did but have not got around to editing)

The load you see there gets me around $37300+ [on Hard Mode in seasons] - In fact I did a load before that with me fishing up with 72+ Thousand sold in logs with still more ready to load. I figure I easily have over another 10 Thousand sitting on the ground. That's almost the starter loan. To be fair I did about 5K in missions to start off. By end of day 2 I will have paid loan off. I know many people are into taking out loans ... but this time I wanted to do it differently. Is forcing me to think more about how I intend to go about things.

How I loaded Up:

To load up like so I parked the starting tipper along side the leased baler trailer and started loading logs on the trailer pushing them up against the wall of the tipper.
NOTE* I would on occasion jump out of the loading tractor into the trailer tractor to engage the 'belts' around the logs. With the belts strapped around logs I would dump more logs ontop. Once the logs started to look a little fragile but still just in place ... I would then jump back into the trailer tractor where I would then disengage and the reengage the belt very quickly.

After doing this several times you get a good idea of how long to leave the belts disengaged while the logs slip into place where hopefully you catch them in time to rengage them locking the logs back into place. It's all in my video (yet to edit) [bit of swearing went on as I made a few mistakes. Especially when I finally got it all and ended up tipping the load around a corner ... Grrrrrrr ... which at any rate forced my not to be outdone where I have no set myself a new record. :) It was really fun. Not the quickest way I grant you - BUT - then again once you get used to this methods it seems to pay off really well. I generally take the stump grinder with me as I go and also throw all the off cuts into the tipper which I am also yet yo cash in on.

I think $37300+ for one load is pretty good on hard setting. I am much happier this time around after day one. : ) As for logging itself I am just learning. My intention with the logs on day one is just clearing the land around the farm is all. After I sell the off cuts and the rest of logs still on ground I expect to pay off the starter loan and own whatever it is that I have thus far paid for. Leasing is still my preferred way for now while I keep myself out of debt. If I go into dept it wont be for 300K! That just felt like I was getting no ware doing things in seasons on hard. Just my view for now. It may very well change. At any rate ... It's good to be logging on day one. lol I'll try to leave a few trees about that place. hehe

Oneblock

Re: Stacking Logs On A Standard Baler Trailer - Day One!

Post by Oneblock »

OR, I don't know. You could lease a log trailer?
deddycantshoot

Post by deddycantshoot »

Nice job.
Poppyfarmaston

Post by Poppyfarmaston »

Thanks for the kind words. I really enjoyed the process. :)

Yea, I thought about the log trailer:

Being day one on hard I was thinking $$$. Not just the leasing costs but also the length of my logs. The affordable option (I thinks to myself) even with leasing in mind was the baler trailer. The shorter log trailer that can be towed with a tractor requires cutting logs shorter than what I do for the baler trailer. Shorter logs = less money. Is not that correct? The contraption for putting the logs on seems more messing around with then using a tractor with log attachment.

I could experiment later to find out, but I remember well enough from the tutorial and figure between the two (at least for now) I've done well $$$ wise using the baler trailer as pictured above. I for sure do test later when I have time. Perhaps the trick with the log trailer is to let the logs hang way over the back ... not sure. Again ... for now it just seems easy enough to throw the logs on the back of the baler trailer using a tipper to hold them on one side and just apply the belts off and on as I go along.

I don't think I can be bothered editing the video. Perhaps next time I do video I only capture the relevant footage. I ended up with too much to sift through. I'd rather just keep playing FS17 as opposed to messing around with video editing. Sigh ..... ;)
TacoFarmer

Post by TacoFarmer »

Shorter logs dont always equal less $$.Take a whole tree,sell it,restart game without saving then cut same tree in sections and sell them. But. If you are having fun then Farm On my friend. There really is no wrong way.
PS4
Farm Happy My Friends.
WestBridge Hills-EL Bubbling FartZ Rancho Edition

You cant polish a turd ......but you can paint it GREEN and YELLOW .
Poppyfarmaston

Post by Poppyfarmaston »

For sure if it works with less effort, I'll have even more fun doing that. I'll do as you suggest. ; )

Edit ... The FHL 13 AK Costs $4752 to lease. I just tried it and from my limited experience it seems very time consuming with a hundred more fine movements required to drop logs into it's container. Perhaps with more 'time' I can learn. Pun intended.

Fact is I am on Day one with mode set to hard, I can't really justify spending $4752 over the much less expensive($1056) DPW 180 Baler Trailer which can handle logs with less cuts. A two day lease of the FHL 13 AK log trailer will almost pay outright for the Baler Trailer which can cart much more equipment and in fact something I will use often early on.

In fact ... this little test has just proven to me I have made a rather practical choice at this stage of the game. Also by the time I finish selling the logs all the off cuts are already in my tipper as I have gone along. I doubt I will end up using the FHL 13AK any time soon. In fact I will probably skip right pas it to the larger version that requires a truck. Just my view of course. Whatever works right. Although no right or wrong. Totally agree with that.

Now time to move and sell the rest of my logs. ; )
Hairy Bob

Post by Hairy Bob »

You seem to be getting on well, just thought I'd let you know that you can pull the big semi trailers with a tractor by using a dolly, you probably won't want to shell out for a truck in your first year.
Happy farming!
Farming Kandelin and Pellworm on pc
SimulatedSphere

Post by SimulatedSphere »

I hate manual labour but I gotta do it.
XBOX ONE S ( I don't have limited power :biggrin2: )| FS17 | UK
Just waiting for FS19!
I play with as much realism as possible :wink3:
XBOX ONE S ¦ On Estancia / Sussex Farm / Oakfield |FS13 , FS15 , FS17
Thank you to all modders out there , the game would never be the same without you!😎 :hi:
Thank you to Giants as my Xbox would never be the same without you!😎 :hi:
ROBB2982

Post by ROBB2982 »

You could use the mod trailers there is one to put behind a truck or dolly then run full length trees!
Hairy Bob

Post by Hairy Bob »

It should be noted, though, that selling whole trees doesn't pay as well as cutting them into logs. Istr 6m being the optimum length.
Farming Kandelin and Pellworm on pc
Farmer216

Post by Farmer216 »

@OP ~ its amazing what they will let you do with the straps.

My seasons/logging adventure started with a small tractor pulling a tipper.
Rented harvester chipping 1m logs into tipper(MF140).
I'm on MED difficulty.
This process has paid for:
2 Valtra N's (185hp) + Weight
2 Sets of plow(2m)/cultivator(4m)
2 Seeders (1 of each type)
Fert spreader
Scorpion Tree harvester (ran the rental out of gas, then bought my own)
3 fields
2 solar panels

Easily made at least $1mil. (probably more)
Just started my first winter. (Only made $110k from harvested crops)
I wasn't trying to get rich, just don't want to fast forward on seasons. Gotta stay busy.
I play on Xbox3 (Which they called the "One" for some reason)
Addicted to Farm Sim since: 6-26-2k17
FS17@ 5,336hrs ~ FS19@ 3377hrs (updated 2.18.21)