Straight line driving...

TacoFarmer

Re: Straight line driving...

Post by TacoFarmer »

Dont drink and drive. Smoke weed and fly.
PS4
Farm Happy My Friends.
WestBridge Hills-EL Bubbling FartZ Rancho Edition

You cant polish a turd ......but you can paint it GREEN and YELLOW .
Farmer216

Post by Farmer216 »

Everything fenixguy said.
I play on Xbox3 (Which they called the "One" for some reason)
Addicted to Farm Sim since: 6-26-2k17
FS17@ 5,336hrs ~ FS19@ 3377hrs (updated 2.18.21)
The Dude

Post by The Dude »

Shape of the field doesn't matter I do it this way.

Line up your row in the cardinal direction in which a AI will run. Doesn't have to be exact, just close.

Set all tools and option to on or lowered as needed.

Hire the worker and keep him hired until the tractor turns and takes off.

As soon as the AI goes about the length of the tractor it's set and straight. Then fire the worker, while holding the break so that it stop quickly and can't shift.

Without turning, turn your equipment on and lower as needed and pull the trigger for full speed.

It won't last forever and uneven terrain and bumps can throw off the straight line. If so just repeat the procedure above. Once you get the button combo down the whole exercise takes just a few seconds.

For me once the alignment is correct I focus on the tools edge and field row or graphic lines and free hand it from there making very minor sharp turn corrections to keep it going straight. This with a small bit of overlap works 99% of the time
CMDRTAKEDOWN

Post by CMDRTAKEDOWN »

I use the textured lines that are in the map.
PS4
PS5
redglasses

Post by redglasses »

The Dude wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:50 pm Shape of the field doesn't matter I do it this way.

Line up your row in the cardinal direction in which a AI will run. Doesn't have to be exact, just close.

Set all tools and option to on or lowered as needed.

Hire the worker and keep him hired until the tractor turns and takes off.

As soon as the AI goes about the length of the tractor it's set and straight. Then fire the worker, while holding the break so that it stop quickly and can't shift.

Without turning, turn your equipment on and lower as needed and pull the trigger for full speed.

It won't last forever and uneven terrain and bumps can throw off the straight line. If so just repeat the procedure above. Once you get the button combo down the whole exercise takes just a few seconds.

For me once the alignment is correct I focus on the tools edge and field row or graphic lines and free hand it from there making very minor sharp turn corrections to keep it going straight. This with a small bit of overlap works 99% of the time
This guy explains it way better then I did
Playing Lincoln Creek on PC
Upload your screenshots here: IMG server
My Discord
Remember there is no need to spread your manure around the forums :wink3:
Jack of all trades, master of the skid steer
Earnest Pea

Post by Earnest Pea »

The GPS mod is great. In 15 it made mowing less painful.
KnowhutImean?
PC|XB1
RODHA

Post by RODHA »

If I want to do whatever I'm doing from out cab 3rd person view, then I use the edge of the equipment for lining up. As most equipment has an invisible overlaping bit past the actual edge you won't miss anything as long as you keep the edge of the equipment in line with the edge of the next row.

If I'm working in cab 1st person view, the I usually line up the equipment with the next row and when it is lined up I took a guidance point from some part of the tractor that is in the front (usually the right or left wheel fender) and keep that guidance point inline with the next row along the way.

It takes a bit of getting used to but works fine for me. Btw, I suggest using NH or MF tractors for the most accurate and sensitive steering corrections and never use a tracked tractor. Even the slightest input might give you a 90 degree turn on those machines.

And imho, the nirvana of in cab working is harvesting corn from the in cab view of the harvester. Complete an entire field without missing anything, you will be an instructor :biggrin2:
PS5 / FS22
FarmerJimbob

Post by FarmerJimbob »

On rectangular fields I use the coordinates as was suggested earlier - its really simple, 1 of the numbers shouldn't change for you to be in a straight line. The only bit that needs thinking about is whether the change in number means an adjustment left or right with the steering to correct. Lining up the next run is simple too if you know the width of your machine, just use the coordinates plus or minus the width for where your next centreline needs to be. Get a bit of practise in by doing missions using the technique. On irregular fields I use ridge markers or just eyeball it with a bit of overlap based on soil textures.
Coldlandlord

Post by Coldlandlord »

I use a steering wheel with auto centre turned off as tractors in real life don't auto centre the steering without driver input so its a lot easier than using a keypad or game pad with auto centre. Even so, the method is pretty much the same as in real life. If you dont have GPS you pick a datum point on the landscape (i.e. a tree, post, etc and aim for it. Don't pay attention and try and correct what the machine is doing, just look ahead and keep focused on your target. If you try and correct every unwanted movement, you will end up zig zaging all over the place.
Another way to do it as mentioned above is look out the cab door and line something up. For example, the wing mirror with the edge of the worked ground or if you are following a harvester, get your position right and then pick something on the harvester to line up with something in your cab. If it moves away from that point, speed up, if it drops back slow down, if it moves down, steer away, if it move up steer towards it.

If im using an old machine i will do it in the above way but if its a new machine i will use the GPS mod. In real life old machines require a skilled driver to do a tidy job and new machines with GPS are designed to make life easier and also to make the machine and operator more efficient which if playing realistically in game, has the same results.
niggle44

Post by niggle44 »

redglasses - absolutely right specially on console - of course workers on some maps go a bit weird particularly on the mod maps where fields are not squares/rectangles.
Turbojugend

Post by Turbojugend »

The lives of these poor A.I. workers:

"Okay, my tractor is lined up and ready for action. You're fired. Wait, I just hit a bump. Come back here!!!"
heyimbill.com
Sundropjunkie

Post by Sundropjunkie »

Turbojugend wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:23 pm The lives of these poor A.I. workers:

"Okay, my tractor is lined up and ready for action. You're fired. Wait, I just hit a bump. Come back here!!!"
:lol: :lol:
Jeremiah 29:11
For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.
Proud Console Owner XB1
Sundropjunkie

Post by Sundropjunkie »

Who here is guilty of yelling at there hired help.....
For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.
Proud Console Owner XB1
SilverRedman63

Post by SilverRedman63 »

Sundropjunkie wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:06 pm Who here is guilty of yelling at there hired help.....
I have sent mine off to get drug tested.
PC/Xbox1
Sundropjunkie

Post by Sundropjunkie »

LOL
Proud Console Owner XB1