Switching to PC for 19

Wisfarmer17

Switching to PC for 19

Post by Wisfarmer17 »

Hi just looking for advice as i want to buy a pc that can play fs 19 but have no idea what to get. Is a sshd or hhd better fir gaming and what are some things to look for, for a good gamong experience. Thanks in advance.
PS4. MIDWEST USA.
juf.de

Re: Switching to PC for 19

Post by juf.de »

I recommend to wait until FS19 has been released and decide then/ask then again what kind of system you like
Tutorials: log.txt, Giants Bilderhoster, erweiterter Texteditor, Konsole (PC)    /    Direktlink Giants Imagehoster
[PC] [Mac] [XB1] [PS4] in the thread title keeps the Forum clean / im Threadtitel hält das Forum übersichtlich
Playing on PC
redglasses

Post by redglasses »

Ya I'm waiting till the system requirements come out before even looking at possible pc's
Playing Lincoln Creek on PC
Upload your screenshots here: IMG server
My Discord
Remember there is no need to spread your manure around the forums :wink3:
Jack of all trades, master of the skid steer
Wisfarmer17

Post by Wisfarmer17 »

When do you think they will release the requirments
PS4. MIDWEST USA.
redglasses

Post by redglasses »

Probably around the time the game is about to launch
My Discord
fcdrifter13

Post by fcdrifter13 »

You def want to wait. My set up is nice for a lot of games but it struggles on some FS maps. If things stay the same I would look into Intel for CPU over R7 1700 ryzen as its what i have and its single core performance is lacking in FS.
Survival Start of The Calm Lands. Currently have built homes for our workers, so we actually get workers.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... H-DmlmlDQT
RODHA

Post by RODHA »

Multiple traitors detected...

Just kidding :biggrin2:
I love my PS4. Good luck with your historical gaming machines :mrgreen:
PS5 / FS22
Robbh6

Post by Robbh6 »

I don't know if I'd want to wait at the moment.

Seems like a good time to invest in a PC.

The ar** has fallen out of mining and gpus are flooding the second hand market, coupled with ASICS becoming a thing and leaks about nVidia's new 11 series of gpus (computex announcement?) the price of gpus is basically msrp. So definitely a good time to buy one.

Ram prices are finally dropping from being artificially held high it seems.(judging from a recent news article involving possible lawsuits against 3 major manufacturers (again).)
Also involving ram heard a story yesterday about the possibility of DDR5 ram being available potentially next year (2019).

Ssd's seem to be becoming competitive also with WD getting in the mix with the like of Samsung.

But anyway. Just my opinion. Depends on your budget, confidence in building a PC or whether you'd prefer buying one off the shelf. Etc.

I know I'm going to be dropping cash on a FE 1180 when they release to upgrade from my current 1050ti. Adding another 16GB of ram and then adding a custom water loop!:coolnew:
PC MasterRace
- Mostly farming on the incredible Lone Oak Farm.

SPECS-
Intel i7-8086k @ 5.2GHz (1.32v)
16GB teamgroup ram @4000Mhz
Gigabyte FE GTX 1080 @ 2152core/2778memory
Asus maximus hero X mobo
Intel 760p Nvme 512GB SSD
1TB SSD
Custom Waterloop.
this_is_gav

Post by this_is_gav »

It's sensible to wait too as the price of graphics cards is dropping rapidly at the moment (GPU coin mining doesn't seem to be worth it now thankfully) so it makes sense to wait if you can. Nvidia should be releasing new cards at some point this year too, which will also lower the price of their existing cards. All of this should help the prices of either your components or that of a full PC if you're buying one.

If you're building your own and on a budget then don't be afraid to look into the second hand market as there can often be a lot of value there. The only things I wouldn't consider 2nd hand are SSDs (they have limited writes) and Power Supply Units (don't skimp on the PSU - buy a good one and it will protect your other components).

With FS15 and FS17 a fast (in terms of MHz) quad-core CPU is more useful than a lower-clocked 6 or 8-core CPU. While the world is heading towards multi-threaded performance I highly doubt whether FS19 will optimised for it, but time will tell.

As for the question you pose, a solid-state hard drive is better than a hard drive for an operating system (you get a limited speed boost over a standard hard drive, but also lots of space). They're an ideal cost:speed choice for cheap laptops and low-end PCs. If you're building or configuring your own PC then often a dedicated SSD for the operating system (and games if it's large enough) is faster, with a separate HDD for extra storage (documents, videos, photos, etc). Most will find a single large SSD plenty and you get speed everywhere. Not necessarily cheap, but again the prices have started falling again, so worth keeping it in mind.
redglasses

Post by redglasses »

How much money should I spend on a pc?
My Discord
NowHeresRoy

Post by NowHeresRoy »

redglasses wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 2:23 pm How much money should I spend on a pc?
If you build it yourself you can have a very capable rig for 800 or $900. The same pc would cost you 1500 to 1800 to have built.
PC User
TEXAS USA
Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has passed away; behold, the new has come.
Mobias

Post by Mobias »

Definitely wait at the moment. The current range of Nvidia cards are going to be renewed soon. That means you'll either get a current high end card cheaper or the very latest high end card (if thats what you're after) when that gets released. Sounds like these cards will be out by October so I'd wait.

As this_is_gav says an SSD drive is a must these days. Coming from console to PC at the start of this year I was blown away by how fast FS loads on PC with an SSD drive. Some of the smaller maps load in just a few seconds and the game itself boots up incredibly quickly too.

If you're used to the console version of the game you definitely won't regret getting it on PC. With all the extra mods and options it almost feels like a different game sometimes. One thing I would say though is that I think the gap between the console and PC versions of the game will narrow considerably with FS-19 but I guess you will always have those extra unlicensed mods on PC.
redglasses

Post by redglasses »

NowHeresRoy wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 2:29 pm
redglasses wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 2:23 pm How much money should I spend on a pc?
If you build it yourself you can have a very capable rig for 800 or $900. The same pc would cost you 1500 to 1800 to have built.
See thats already too much, $700 in Canadian dollars is my price range, I just want to play fs on medium 60 fps :frown: :frown:
My Discord
BreadedVirus

Post by BreadedVirus »

redglasses wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 10:15 pm
NowHeresRoy wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 2:29 pm
See thats already too much, $700 in Canadian dollars is my price range, I just want to play fs on medium 60 fps :frown: :frown:
This would be a great buy. This is the PC that i have, but with the i57400, which i will be upgrading to the i7700 on the next few months.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07B6 ... p_hza?th=1
the big print giveth the small print taketh
parad0x177

Post by parad0x177 »

The answer to your specific question is very easy and doesn’t require waiting. SSDs will be “better” for games for the same reason they are better for other applications: their access times are almost instantaneous. This means faster load times and less potential for stuttering on games that, say load scenery and such in the background. However, the cost per megabyte is much higher (still) than conventional hard disks and the capacities are much lower.

So, if budget considerations are important, I would focus on graphics card, RAM, and CPU, in that order, before I worried about an SSD. In fact, RAM is so comparatively cheap, it is possible to overcome some of the load time sacrifice of sticking with a conventional hard drive: if you have enough RAM, the whole game (or a significant portion of it) may be able to stay resident in memory, avoiding swapping to disk and subsequent reads from the drive. That said, though, definitely opt for a 7200 RPM drive (or faster) for gaming if you go conventional; the price premium is small and well worth it.

Or, if you have room in the budget, get a smallish SSD and a good size 7200 RPM drive, then install your OS and drivers on the SSD while saving the HD for data and game installs. This will provide great boot times and overall responsiveness, while giving you lots of space, reasonable load times, and more modest cost.

As for the other hardware choices, waiting may be best, particularly since graphics card prices may be normalizing finally. But, if you want to go ahead, I’d shoot for a GTX1060 or better (with as much video RAM as possible) (or AMD equivalent), a current gen Core i5 or better (or AMD equivalent), at LEAST 8GB of good (and reasonably fast) RAM, and a quality motherboard with a high-end, gaming-appropriate chipset. Oh, and get a quality case, and an appropriately-sized QUALITY power supply; your life will be better in the long run. (If you have the budget, liquid cooling is great for a quiet rig, too.)

My bet is that shooting for those as a minimum should allow you to comfortably play FS19 at 1920x1080, with mid to mid-high quality (maybe better). In my mind, anything beyond that is probably just buying you more eye candy and/or future proofing.

EDIT: Beware used kit, particularly graphics cards. These days there is a very real chance you are buy a cryptocurrency mining cast-off that has ben run at full load, under high temps, for a couple years straight and, so, may be on its last leg.