Autosave

DevilkidHUN

Autosave

Post by DevilkidHUN »

What is the point in autosave, when it only saves when you open the menu? Because the game can't (or doesn't) save, but crashes, I just lost 45+mins worth of work thanks to this... why do i have to open the menu? This is BS...
Xbox 1 Felsbrunn If I make any mistake,
please correct me:)
Rasping rabbit

Re: Autosave

Post by Rasping rabbit »

You can always have it like fs17, turn off the auto save and save manually whenever you want.

Although you have to go into the menu to do that anyway.
DevilkidHUN

Post by DevilkidHUN »

Rasping rabbit wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:23 pm You can always have it like fs17, turn off the auto save and save manually whenever you want.
I know, but it doesn't change the fact that the game will crash...
RODHA

Post by RODHA »

What happens if the game autosaves by itself just as you make a wrong decision or move which you need to quit the game and reload your last save point? Now you are stuck with your mistake.
PS5 / FS22
pingu

Post by pingu »

The point of an autosave function in any software should be to automatically save changes without the user having to do anything other than to activate the function when starting to use the software. You should get information on how often it will save. To have something named 'autosave' that requires the user to do something specific in other for it to save seems pointless. Then it is just a normal save procedure. Autosave should also have a history where you can undo changes in case you made some mistake. True autosave without an undo is something a would never want to activate in any software.
<-- FS17 on an iMac 27" playing Lone Oak Farm and The Western Shore -->
EJgaming

Post by EJgaming »

Auto save function in fs19 is better turned off. Just go in and save manually now and then, so you never have to be stuck with mistakes, or loose to much if game crashes.
PC
Norway
Jagtractor

Post by Jagtractor »

yeah it's kind of pointless. sometimes I'll be playing and I haven't noticed it save (because it never does on it's own like mentioned here) and I buy something and think "hmmm maybe I shouldn't have done that" and I go to the menu to quit out and restart and it saves as soon as i open the menu. And then I contemplate life for a second and then take the loss on my mistake.

I have since turned it off and just make sure I save at least every 20 minutes so when my game crashes on me I don't loss my entire nights work. Useless feature
PC and PS4 Pro
been playing on pc lately.
JohnDeereLimo

Post by JohnDeereLimo »

I turned autosave off right away and just manually save every time I complete a task. I also save right before I transport any grain because the train crossing barriers don't close until the train is almost there.
redglasses

Post by redglasses »

pingu wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:31 pm The point of an autosave function in any software should be to automatically save changes without the user having to do anything other than to activate the function when starting to use the software. You should get information on how often it will save. To have something named 'autosave' that requires the user to do something specific in other for it to save seems pointless. Then it is just a normal save procedure. Autosave should also have a history where you can undo changes in case you made some mistake. True autosave without an undo is something a would never want to activate in any software.
I've made a thread just like this a couple months ago and this one of my arguments, I'm extremely surprised that they haven't fixed this
Playing Lincoln Creek on PC
Upload your screenshots here: IMG server
My Discord
Remember there is no need to spread your manure around the forums :wink3:
Jack of all trades, master of the skid steer
Guil

Post by Guil »

Rahkiin explained in that thread why it is the way it is.
pingu

Post by pingu »

Guil wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:48 pm Rahkiin explained in that thread why it is the way it is.
Could you please link to that thread? When I search for the author and "autosave", I don't find any thread with explanation...
<-- FS17 on an iMac 27" playing Lone Oak Farm and The Western Shore -->
Rahkiin
Former GIANTS employee

Post by Rahkiin »

It is because our saves are quite big and we can't stream them like most other games. E.g. in RDR2 they just save what changed since, like your position and some progress and bit of changed world state. We however save everything of the whole game every time because pretty much everything changes anyways. So we have to write a lot of data which takes time. We tried doing this during gameplay but then on consoles the FPS dropped to 0 for seconds. So we had to stick it to the menu only.
You're free to disable it and use it like fs17
Guil

Post by Guil »

Can't find the post so maybe the thread was deleted and I'm confusing where it was posted but there you have it.
gordon861

Post by gordon861 »

Perhaps a modder could write a MOD that would pop up a warning after a period of time to warn you that you haven't saved in XX minutes?

Or could that be integrated into the game?
--------------
Hey Giants, when are you going to pull your head out of your backsides and actually talk to us?
DevilkidHUN

Post by DevilkidHUN »

That would be good, but it probably won't happen