Terrible Performance on a High End PC

connor9

Terrible Performance on a High End PC

Post by connor9 »

Hello. I recently bought FS19 on Steam because I was sick of the bad graphics on xbox, but I only found worse on my PC. Upon opening the game there was a delay about 10 seconds anytime I clicked something on the menu, and even after setting the lowest settings possible the game was still unplayable. Huge delays and pretty much 1 FPS.

PC:
AMD Ryzen 3 2200G w/ Radeon Vega 2GB graphics
Radeon RX550
8 GB RAM
Win 10
Acer 1080p monitor 75hz

BTW I run games like ATS at max graphics with no lag at all
Blown

Re: Terrible Performance on a High End PC

Post by Blown »

There is something weird going on.

I have a ryzen 3700x, x570, r9 390x, steam is on a velociraptor 10,000rpm drive, 16gb ddr4 3200,. Samsung 970 evo NVMe.

Good enough computer specs.
I can play the game fine for 30 minutes without a stutter locked at a solid 60fps. Then all of a sudden it turns into an unplayable stutterfest with fps dropping to around 30. It is so bad that I cant drive without crashing.

It's like something in the system fills up and the PC cant dump it. Vram usage is 2gb so it's not that. System ram usage is 4.5gb and it shouldn't be that either.
What I did notice was gpu usage would all of a sudden go from 100% to zero once every few seconds. No idea what's causing that!

If I exit the game and restart it again, it's fine. And then the stutterfest starts all over again.

Harvesting in 1st person is almost guaranteed to start this problem off.
One thing I have noticed is when it starts to stutter the hard drive is being hammered. This shouldn't be a problem though, the velociraptor is the fastest mechanical drive you can buy.

I'm not running one mod, I'm only new to the game.

My next step will be uninstalling/reinstalling the game. I verified the game cache on steam - no errors.

This shouldn't be happening, Google is full of results for fs19 stuttering.

Nobody seems to have found a fix.
michele1048

Post by michele1048 »

hi could be overheating or exhaustion of the ram and do not discharge the ram. by restarting the game, the RAM is emptied and works until the RAM is full
Blown

Post by Blown »

Hi. That's my point.

I can monitor my ram usage and it never exceeds 29% or around 4.5Gb which is nothing for a modern game.
Ram capacity is not the problem, I have 16Gb. Nor are temperatures. My CPU barely hits 50°c.
connor9

Post by connor9 »

Not sure what's going on with this game but the next day I log on (today) and try to open Farm Sim 19 and it runs amazing. I even went to Very High graphics and 60fps no dropped frames or lag. Not sure what the deal is
BreadedVirus

Post by BreadedVirus »

The game is just not optimized very well.....
the big print giveth the small print taketh
Guil

Post by Guil »

Ryzen 3 and Rx 550 is not high end.
Blown

Post by Blown »

connor9 wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:06 pm Not sure what's going on with this game but the next day I log on (today) and try to open Farm Sim 19 and it runs amazing. I even went to Very High graphics and 60fps no dropped frames or lag. Not sure what the deal is
Same thing just happened to me. Game played without an issue, solid 60fps.

I spent hours monitoring my hardware trying to figure out what is going on.
As I said earlier when my performance tanks my hard drive was being hammered and my very slow internet was being used.
Farming sim shouldn't be hammering the hard drive. At 1440p it loads at most 2Gb into vram and about the same into system ram. There is no need to keep hitting the drive so hard.

So off I went looking for this culprit.
Turns out that it was Skype creating all this havoc on my system. I don't use/need/want skype so I deleted it.

Started playing farming simulator and haven't had a problem since.

I have just changed over to w10 from w7 so keep in mind I'm still in the process of tuning w10.

I don't think the software is the problem per se, but it might be intolerant to other programs taking resources.

More testing required.
Guil

Post by Guil »

Blown wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:58 am
Same thing just happened to me. Game played without an issue, solid 60fps.

I spent hours monitoring my hardware trying to figure out what is going on.
As I said earlier when my performance tanks my hard drive was being hammered and my very slow internet was being used.
Farming sim shouldn't be hammering the hard drive. At 1440p it loads at most 2Gb into vram and about the same into system ram. There is no need to keep hitting the drive so hard.

So off I went looking for this culprit.
Turns out that it was Skype creating all this havoc on my system. I don't use/need/want skype so I deleted it.

Started playing farming simulator and haven't had a problem since.

I have just changed over to w10 from w7 so keep in mind I'm still in the process of tuning w10.

I don't think the software is the problem per se, but it might be intolerant to other programs taking resources.

More testing required.
How long ago did you update to W10? It can take hours or even a day for it to install all updates and several restarts.
Pict

Post by Pict »

Blown wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:58 am So off I went looking for this culprit.
I did exactly the same thing a few years ago now, with zero regrets.

Skype was at one time, when it first appeared, a pretty handy communication tool. But since Microsoft bought it and integrated it into Windows, both suffered badly.

These days there are many other options to do video conferencing over the internet that can be found with a quick search. No need to spam up your operating system with anything like this, to the determent of everything else.
Blown

Post by Blown »

Guil wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:26 am

How long ago did you update to W10? It can take hours or even a day for it to install all updates and several restarts.
Good point.

I thought of that when I saw my drive and network being used so much.
I had installed windows about a week prior.
I don't think it was the culprit but I left my PC running for days just in case. I also have steam on a different drive. Windows is on an NVMe.

Today I discovered 300mb of saved game data sitting in the recycle bin in "one drive" so the game has been transferring stuff.
I'm not sure how to turn this off or how to prevent it though. Should it be happening? I would have thought saved games would be stored locally.

I'm 99% convinced that the game itself is sound.
Something is taking CPU cycles from the game which is really surprising given an 8 core 16 thread CPU.

Since my initial post I haven't seen one glitch.

Has the game had an update (steam) over the last few days?
Blown

Post by Blown »

Pict wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:55 am
Blown wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:58 am So off I went looking for this culprit.
I did exactly the same thing a few years ago now, with zero regrets.

Skype was at one time, when it first appeared, a pretty handy communication tool. But since Microsoft bought it and integrated it into Windows, both suffered badly.

These days there are many other options to do video conferencing over the internet that can be found with a quick search. No need to spam up your operating system with anything like this, to the determent of everything else.
I hear ya!

Silicon valley giants are wrecking balls sometimes. They are not good at acquisitions.
Blown

Post by Blown »

Well my PC slowed to a crawl with this game again today.

The culprit?
MS one drive.

It appears that every time the network gets utilized the game slows to a crawl.
It has to be the game itself as no other games I have slows down with network use.

I do have very slow internet where I live (4mb/s) not sure whether that's a factor.
Blown

Post by Blown »

So I go into one drive and under saved games is a farming sim 19 folder.

I have now disabled that and will retest.
Blown

Post by Blown »

I can confirm all the stuttering has disappeared by disabling farming simulator 19 from within One Drive.

Hopefully this has fully resolved itself now.

FYI. 270MB had been uploaded. I only have the base game installed. If I had any mods they would get stored there too.
Keep everything locally on your PC and you shouldn't see this issue. I suspect those with fast internet connections won't see this problem either.