Opinions on a gaming laptop

dunnjob

Opinions on a gaming laptop

Post by dunnjob »

I have found an HP "gaming" laptop on an upcoming black Friday deal. Specs I can find on this are limited but here is what I have:

15.6" Screen
Intel Core i5-9300H
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 3gb
8GB ram
256GB Hard drive.

Will this work for FS19?
I know this is not state of the art. but for $499.00 its a pretty cheap way to get into the master race.
We are all ignorant, we are all just ignorant about different things.

Recent convert to PC on FS19
Dairydeere

Re: Opinions on a gaming laptop

Post by Dairydeere »

viewtopic.php?f=963&t=154073
Check this out. Lots of opinions here
Dairy farmer, college student, part-time modder, always looking to drive a tractor

Discord Server
Facebook page

Where should you download mods from? Try this! - A Guide to Respectful Downloads and Original Mods

Driving up a wall because my brain turned off the gravity

Happy farming!
Way2drunk2walk

Post by Way2drunk2walk »

It should work just fine. It probably won't be able to run on very high settings but my brother had a 1050 1 gb in his and it ran smoothly on medium graphics settings.
"Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may." Samuel Houston
Farming on PC
Daviss42

Post by Daviss42 »

Personally I wouldn't go for a laptop with a 1050 especially the non ti version just because its already a bottom tier card and surely you'd want it to also be able play fs21?

I'd keep looking and look for a 1060 at minimum but while £500 isn't "much" you really get what you get pay for with PC gaming so it'd worth if possible adding more to your budget but that's just my two cents.
System - i7-10700k | RTX 3080 | 32GB 4000mhz | 2TB NVME

Console - Xbox Series X
Riven326

Post by Riven326 »

They get hot. My advice is to build a tower for yourself or buy a prebuilt. Avoid laptops if possible.
theking1009

Post by theking1009 »

Yes I agree with Riven326, stay away from laptops, I could fry a egg on mine that’s how hot it gets.
FarmerLee73

Post by FarmerLee73 »

Never understood how people can play games on laptops, such small screens!
Blown

Post by Blown »

My advice if you're on a budget is to buy some runout parts and then second hand if you need to and build your own.

Something like a ryzen 2600 or even a 2700x can be found for $150 max. A b350 motherboard under $100 and take your pick on any 4gb graphics card. 570xt would do the job easily here.
A second hand 1080p monitor.
You should be able to do that for the same price and get a far better machine.

I've got a high end MSI gaming laptop that I don't use. As others have said, they overheat and after a few minutes they start to throttle and are unusable.

Just get the basics for now and add bigger hard drives, better gpu's as funds allow.
Building PC's isnt hard and there are plenty of guides around if you get stuck. People on here would be happy to help too I'm sure.

You won't be happy gaming on a $450 laptop I assure you.
Dairydeere

Post by Dairydeere »

Riven326 wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:48 pm They get hot. My advice is to build a tower for yourself or buy a prebuilt. Avoid laptops if possible.
Check out the topic link I posted above. It includes a cooling fan idea for laptops if you’re looking for a laptop for a budget. I’m not a big tech guy, just tying to help :smileynew:
Dairy farmer, college student, part-time modder, always looking to drive a tractor

Discord Server
Facebook page

Where should you download mods from? Try this! - A Guide to Respectful Downloads and Original Mods

Driving up a wall because my brain turned off the gravity

Happy farming!
fenixguy

Post by fenixguy »

I played FS15 on a non-gaming Dell laptop from Walmart. It didn't explode or meltdown but it had to run at medium graphics settings. Ran it smooth as butter though, with any mod I wanted. It's still in operation today but the wife has commandeered it.

As others have mentioned, if you're buying for the specific purpose of gaming, don't buy a laptop. You can get a far better PC with lots of room to upgrade for the cost of a decent laptop.
FS22 is the best one yet. Fight me!
Showdizzle

Post by Showdizzle »

The laptop you describe should run FS19 fine on medium settings with moderate amount of mods. For the money, I would look at build your own desktop for playing other games as well as the ability to expand.