Mod maps and farmhouse monopoly

Jbird0021

Re: Mod maps and farmhouse monopoly

Post by Jbird0021 »

So, I can totally understand where OP is coming from. And weren't the changes in the 3 playing modes in FS19 designed for this very purpose?

- New Farmer - On any map, including the fabulous modded maps, with amazing farms/farmhouses that we all enjoy,... you are a new farmer with less available funds, on an existing farm with existing land/fields but enough equipment to go right into most modes of farming.

- Farm Manager - On any map, you SHOULD be able to use the larger available funds to locate the piece of land and strategically build your farm from nothing, including your own placeable farm house, OR you can purchase the farm the map maker has already created!!!

- Start From Scratch - Just a harder version of Farm Manager.

I don't think the desire to play Farm Manager mode, as the way it was intended (to me) is any slight towards a map maker. To me, the goal is to work your way up to be able to purchase the wonderful existing farm/ farmhouse thanks to your crafty work building your own farm somewhere else on the map!?

That is not possible in farm manager mode on maps such as Shamrock, Charwell, and aparently Osina, etc...
SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas »

I think maps are either made to suit the palceables system or to suit the map makers own sensibilities. The former allows players to be creative but can be a bit generic, especially if you reuse the same palceables. The later are much more detailed and have more character but don't allow for player creativity. I like both types of map for different reasons.
The other thing I like to do is focus on one specific animal type, so if a map has separate yards for different animals then that's where I want the house to be, especially if the yard has a (non-functional) farmhouse in place. So if im playing Meadow Grove (for example) and want to do pigs I'll use the pig farm, put a sleep trigger at the house by the pig farm and just ignore the house at the dairy farm. Just seems more logical to me.
5ka5

Post by 5ka5 »

Noraf wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:33 pm I'd still say starting a savegame on mp fixes most of this, as you can set up multiple farms In mp, you just select a different area to place your farm, then save, and start it up in sp as normal afterwards
Hey man I just found this thread by desperately googling for solutions for my problem.
And since nobody reacted to your comments I just wanted to say thank you very much man!
You saved Osina Map for me and I'm loving it. :mrgreen:
Jonhinkerton

Post by Jonhinkerton »

Console solution is as follows:

1) start game in Multiplayer.
2) create and join farm #2, build a farmhouse where you like
3) Save game
4) load game in single player and allow farms to merge
5) both farmhouses are now available.
aklein

Post by aklein »

The way I see it maps that have everything built in on all play modes are more built toward the FS17 and before style of gameplay where you started a map you had a farm. That was the farm you used for all intents and purposes. With 19 that concept is a bit more open with buyable land vs just buyable fields and with a more flexable albeit not perfect building placement system and landscaping system.

For me maps that fully embrace the FS19 style of gameplay would have all the farm buildings sellable including the farm house or at the very minimum have a sellable sleeptrigger or no sleep trigger at all. Then the player can put their own down. Early on this was less of a possibility as when the game released we didn't have a stand alone sleep trigger we just had really expensive farm houses which lead to cheaper mod farm house equivalents and then that lead to just a sleep trigger. It would have been nice to see Giants provide a sleep trigger option only so we could put it at any location that was on buyable land.

While it embraces FS19's features a little less maps that have pre built farms that you cant sell the buildings on should have sleep triggers either at all of them or none of them. then the player can choose to start and play on any farm they want on the map and have a sleep trigger or put their own down.
Ekan

Post by Ekan »

BulletBill wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:10 pm It seems to me very ironic that this so called "build your own farm" part of the game which was intended to make the game less restrictive as in fact done the opposite. Instead of map makers being original I've seen more duplicated stuff than ever before, purely because it's less hassle for the map maker, and I don't blame them.

All I've seen is people complaining why they are limited by the 3 starting modes as it is impossible for a map maker to cater for everyones preferences.

It is true many map makers dislike this new system, not because we are stuck in the past as some like to criticise, but because to us that was not the point of the map we are making, also the whole placeable system is very limited compared with what is possible in GE, so to map makers it's like going backwards not forwards.

I do not get this obsession with some players of wanting to completely rip a map apart to make it how they like. It seems obvious that the map wasn't the one for them in the first place. So why not find a different map more to there tastes.

It also seems like map makers cannot win, if you have a blank flat map, it's too boring, but the instant there is the slightest realistic scenery on the map, out come the cries of "I should be able to remove everything in sight".
Yet this whole feature of the game was never designed to do that, that was GIANTS feature that was over hyped and made players have un-realistic expectations as to what was possible with this game, yet you players point the blame squarely at mod mappers who have no control how the game is made.

This whole new system hasn't "fixed" farm sim or made it better, it's just made it more frustrating for many players and modders alike.

How are modders supposed to feel creative and motivated with constant responses like this by the community.

When modders complain about the game were told to stop whining and go try make our own game.
If that is the case then the same could be said of players who complain about maps, go make your own, get it released on Modhub for PC and Console then see if your point of view is still the same.

I can guarantee it won't.
Agree, imo one of the reasons why we don't see as manny good maps today like back in the days.
FS since 2012 :hi:
"Immersive farmplay & detail fanatic"

PC: :gamer:
Acer "28" NItro XVO (4k)
Geforce RTX 3070
i7-8700k 5ghz (OC) (3.70ghz)
HyperX fury 32gb RAM
M.2 970 evoPlus (500gb)
M.2 MP500 (150gb)
ROG strix Z370-F
EVGA 750w psu, Corsair cooling & chassi
Jonhinkerton

Post by Jonhinkerton »

Generally, I like to be able to make my own yard - to the extent that one of the reasons I upgraded to PC was access to the map editor. Mostly because I don't always raise animals, pigs in particular, so I dislike having animal pens as a requirement. However, there are maps I can't improve (like the cow farm on Greenwich, which I just love). I like there being maps that are made to be built on and I like maps that are carefully and creatively built by mapmakers, and it all comes down to a map-by-map thing. I would hate for there to be an all-or-nothing solution in either direction.
5ka5

Post by 5ka5 »

Jonhinkerton wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 4:42 pm However, there are maps I can't improve (like the cow farm on Greenwich, which I just love). I like there being maps that are made to be built on and I like maps that are carefully and creatively built by mapmakers, and it all comes down to a map-by-map thing. I would hate for there to be an all-or-nothing solution in either direction.
This.
I too do love maps with nice preset farms and I really like to play on them while other times I prefer to build my own farm.