Seasons - weather is killing me

Dairydeere

Re: Seasons - weather is killing me

Post by Dairydeere »

People able to help on what the important parts of seasons are that I should know? Will be venturing into it soon
Dairy farmer, college student, part-time modder, always looking to drive a tractor

Discord Server
Facebook page

Where should you download mods from? Try this! - A Guide to Respectful Downloads and Original Mods

Driving up a wall because my brain turned off the gravity

Happy farming!
Illinois Farmer

Post by Illinois Farmer »

These animals are a whole new ball game, but if you are familiar with real life working with them, you will pick it up fast. The way hay drying is different too. Also crop moisture and ground temp. You can always turn moisture off, so you don't have to work about the ground being too wet to plant or harvest. Also I turn the snow off, because we have enough of it irl right now.
1300 acre farm, finish out just about 10,000 hogs a year, 200 cattle, and xbox one and pc user.
Perbjorkhem

Post by Perbjorkhem »

Dairydeere wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:22 am People able to help on what the important parts of seasons are that I should know? Will be venturing into it soon
The big thing is that you have to wait a whole year to harvest. You can only harvest a couple of days per year.

Also weather is important.
Jbird0021

Post by Jbird0021 »

I’m PlayIng on console and I can’t get a crop to grow past 17% growth??? I’ve planted three different crops on two different maps. I don’t know what my issue is? It’s not “germination failed” and it’s not withered. It just all grows to basically the second growth stage and stops right there. Anybody else have this issue? Any suggestions?
Bryan83

Post by Bryan83 »

Jbird0021 wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:41 am I’m PlayIng on console and I can’t get a crop to grow past 17% growth??? I’ve planted three different crops on two different maps. I don’t know what my issue is? It’s not “germination failed” and it’s not withered. It just all grows to basically the second growth stage and stops right there. Anybody else have this issue? Any suggestions?
What crop and what day are you in? Also how long are your seasons?
Join us on the FS Community Trader. As featured on MrSealyP's Lukahs Island let's play.

Please forgive me, I am but a lowly console player (XB1)
norfolk farmer

Post by norfolk farmer »

9 day seasons at 5x works well for me.
DirectCedar

Post by DirectCedar »

Jbird0021 wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:41 am I’m PlayIng on console and I can’t get a crop to grow past 17% growth??? I’ve planted three different crops on two different maps. I don’t know what my issue is? It’s not “germination failed” and it’s not withered. It just all grows to basically the second growth stage and stops right there. Anybody else have this issue? Any suggestions?
You're planting it within the green planting window in the Seasons calendar, and then waiting until well into the yellow harvest window in the calendar, but no crop will grow past 17%? What stage growth does it show the crop at in the Escape menu map? Does it ever go past light green there?
jah6575

Post by jah6575 »

What geo, if any you are using will make a big difference. I’m not sure if any console maps use custom Geos or not but it is possible. As long as you are following the calendar you should be good, if you are doing this try contacting the geo author or starting a thread about it to get support.
jah6575

Post by jah6575 »

Dairydeere wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:22 am People able to help on what the important parts of seasons are that I should know? Will be venturing into it soon
My best suggestion to get started is to read the manual, it is a complex mod and it has a lot of impact on the game. Also they have a blog on their websites Realismus Modding, that go into a lot of detail about animals as well. After you’ve done all that you could look at videos by MrSealyP and Farmer Klein to get visual and more info about Seasons. Then if you are still having questions I’d be happy to help.
aklein

Post by aklein »

Many things in seasons are normalized over the course of a game year so it does not mater how long a season you have folks playing long seasons are not penalized for daily costs and animals consume the same annually so the amount you need to put into the feed trough is lower but you will be feeding more often because there are more days. A 3 day seasons player will be filling the food trough with massive amounts of food every day or every other day as each day is a season transition. Someone playing 6 day seasons will need to fill the trough half as much each time because there is double the number of days per transition. To the extreme a 24 day seasons player would have 8 days per transition and thus only have to put about a fourth of as much in the food/water troughs every two days as a 3 day seasons player but at the end of the year it should be extremity close to the same (give or take math rounding).

On the crop growth. Crops will typically grow just 1 time per season transition so they will grow a little in say Late spring and grow no more until early summer where they might grow a little more and then nothing until mid summer, etc.
Dairydeere

Post by Dairydeere »

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I watch Daggerwin on YT and he has given me some background on Seasons 19. I also did Seasons 17, but it sounds like a new ball game. I hope to try it soon. :thumbsup:
Dairy farmer, college student, part-time modder, always looking to drive a tractor

Discord Server
Facebook page

Where should you download mods from? Try this! - A Guide to Respectful Downloads and Original Mods

Driving up a wall because my brain turned off the gravity

Happy farming!
Jbird0021

Post by Jbird0021 »

DirectCedar wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:12 am
You're planting it within the green planting window in the Seasons calendar, and then waiting until well into the yellow harvest window in the calendar, but no crop will grow past 17%? What stage growth does it show the crop at in the Escape menu map? Does it ever go past light green there?
Yes. I have made sure that I have planted in the appropriate planting window for the crops I've tried. Like I said, everything takes, there is no "germination failed" and usually rolls along fine, but as I get into the 4th, 5th, 6th, stage of Summer (6 day seasons) my growth just freezes. And I believe it affects the whole map. I've been on Geiselsberg with the Geiselsberg geo and Wola Zabierzoska with the Poland geo.... The Geiselsberg map only has one field on the whole map that made it to the "ready to harvest" stage as of stage 2 of autumn. That can't be right. Wola seems to be doing better, but I just had a whole day where all the crops on the map didn't advance to the next growth stage. I'm in stage 5 Summer. It'll be autumn soon!

I had an issue with the season's functions being out of sync, where it would be the appropriate stage/day in the seasons menu, but the main screen at the top would show a stage or two prior. For example, it would be stage 2 early summer, but the main screen would say stage 6, late spring.

I believe I have rectified that problem by initiating a save game before midnight. I don't use autosave. I believe going long stretches between saving and/or using the sleep function without a recent save, caused the times to be off and the game to lag behind.

Now I'm still potentially facing this growth freeze situation. I will update if things go appropriately or not, especially if it's a whole map issue.
ThatCanadianGuy

Post by ThatCanadianGuy »

Are you 100% sure you only have 1 GEO loaded per map?
Former real life farmer of lentils, mustard, and wheat on the Canadian prairies.
Jbird0021

Post by Jbird0021 »

ThatCanadianGuy wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:09 pm Are you 100% sure you only have 1 GEO loaded per map?
Yes. I am sure. I double-checked this very thing recently.
jah6575

Post by jah6575 »

I would try to contact the geo author. It sounds like potentially the crops file isn’t set up correctly. If you can’t find them for a PM maybe try posting a new thread asking for help with the specific geo. Hopefully they will see it and be able to help out. I know that there are a lot of Geos floating around out there and many of them seem to be not put together very well. Since you are on console you are unable to edit it yourself so you are at the mercy of the author.