Animal Transport

jasonbarron

Animal Transport

Post by jasonbarron »

Is there any benefit to having your own? I bought a shiny new livestock trailer, zipped on down to the local cattle dealer and found out to my disappointment that the various breeds of cattle were selling for the exact same dollar amount as if I were standing on my cow barn's animal dialogue trigger on the far side of the map. Are animal trailers just roleplay, or is there some advantage I missed?
juf.de

Re: Animal Transport

Post by juf.de »

maybe you parked your trailer in the wrong spot, if you buy animals without a correctly placed trailer the game adds a transportation fee.
Tutorials: log.txt, Giants Bilderhoster, erweiterter Texteditor, Konsole (PC)    /    Direktlink Giants Imagehoster
[PC] [Mac] [XB1] [PS4] in the thread title keeps the Forum clean / im Threadtitel hält das Forum übersichtlich
Playing on PC
Illinois Farmer

Post by Illinois Farmer »

You will pay a delivery fee if you sell them straight from the animal pin. I wish the livestock trailers would hold more.
1300 acre farm, finish out just about 10,000 hogs a year, 200 cattle, and xbox one and pc user.
jasonbarron

Post by jasonbarron »

Ok, I'll double check that, then. Maybe I wasn't situated correctly. I love the idea of owning my own trailer (found one on Yesmods that holds 36 cattle for 80k), but for that kind of money there has to be a significant savings.
juf.de

Post by juf.de »

Well, the saving comes over time, for a one time only transport you should just accept the fee or lease the trailer. So such trailers are especially good for pigs or the male cows, pigs and sheeps in seasons.
Tutorials: log.txt, Giants Bilderhoster, erweiterter Texteditor, Konsole (PC)    /    Direktlink Giants Imagehoster
[PC] [Mac] [XB1] [PS4] in the thread title keeps the Forum clean / im Threadtitel hält das Forum übersichtlich
Playing on PC
dapals51

Post by dapals51 »

Illinois Farmer wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:42 pm You will pay a delivery fee if you sell them straight from the animal pin. I wish the livestock trailers would hold more.
Amen! A pot full of market hogs will carry 160-175 pigs in it (270-300+ lbs)
XBOX one player
Farmer in the midwest USA

MOD HUB OR DIE!!
Illinois Farmer

Exactly. We put 160 to 165 on a load, usually weighing 290ish. A load of heifers we put over 36 on a load weighing 1300.
1300 acre farm, finish out just about 10,000 hogs a year, 200 cattle, and xbox one and pc user.
FarmCatJenkins

Post by FarmCatJenkins »

They are beneficial if you are dealing with a lot of transporting. I usually just lease one if I'm only moving animals once a year, depending on if the lease cost outweighs the delivery fee. I could see where it will pay off moving beef cattle or farrow to feeder hogs, though, since you will be moving them quite a bit. Also trailers are the only way to move animals from pen to pen if you run a multiple enclosure setup.
Farmer since birth. Simulated since ‘15

Xbox: Hodge A Palooza
Steam: FarmCat Jenkins
Corstaad

Post by Corstaad »

Illinois Farmer wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:09 am Exactly. We put 160 to 165 on a load, usually weighing 290ish. A load of heifers we put over 36 on a load weighing 1300.
This topical for me. Went to the livestock auction the other day and caught a comment that forty feeders was the magic number to get a small premium. I couldn't quite put it together why but maybe thought it was a semi load of feeders.
Squirrel2004_448

Post by Squirrel2004_448 »

I found one I think it was on modhub or fsmods it holds 200 of each or something like that. It makes hauling pigs off a breeze
jasonbarron

Post by jasonbarron »

Squirrel2004_448 wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:39 pm I found one I think it was on modhub or fsmods it holds 200 of each or something like that. It makes hauling pigs off a breeze
Sounds pretty nice, but is it realistic? I try to steer clear of the mods that stretch reality too far. I found one on Yesmods that holds 36 cows, 74 sheep and 84 pigs and thought that sounded about right. Not sure how long it would take me to earn back my 80k, though.
FarmCatJenkins

Post by FarmCatJenkins »

jasonbarron wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:56 pm Sounds pretty nice, but is it realistic? I try to steer clear of the mods that stretch reality too far. I found one on Yesmods that holds 36 cows, 74 sheep and 84 pigs and thought that sounded about right. Not sure how long it would take me to earn back my 80k, though.
Did you get your cows finally? How many did you go with to start off?
Farmer since birth. Simulated since ‘15

Xbox: Hodge A Palooza
Steam: FarmCat Jenkins
Illinois Farmer

I would say depending pln the size of pigs 200 might fit. We only put 160 to 165 of pigs weighing 290 because of weight requirements on the roads. We used to put 175 when they were about 270 weight.
Mwal

Post by Mwal »

You can see on the fee line what it costs to have 36 cattle delivered, so you haul 12 full loads it will have payed for the trailer.
jasonbarron

Post by jasonbarron »

Mwal wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:20 pm Image
You can see on the fee line what it costs to have 36 cattle delivered, so you haul 12 full loads it will have payed for the trailer.
Thanks Mwal, that's exactly the info I was looking for! I'm not sure how the heck I missed that earlier.

@FarmCat, no, haven't pulled the trigger yet. I'm planning to today, though. It's nearing the end of day three early spring on my map, so I'm not sure if it's a good time to buy Holstein's or not, but based on the numbers you've shared I should have no problem sustaining anywhere from 75-100 to start with, assuming they can just graze for the summer. I've been making so much extra cash with forestry (not to mention dramatically expanding my field potential) that money is not a limitation.