Sports

Illinois Farmer

Sports

Post by Illinois Farmer »

Anyone else bummed out there will be no ncaa tournament and all spring and winter championships have been canceled?
1300 acre farm, finish out just about 10,000 hogs a year, 200 cattle, and xbox one and pc user.
Deadeye

Re: Sports

Post by Deadeye »

While I am not bummed out in the least, I think it is foolish that so many organizations and businesses are shutting down over this hysteria. It's unfortunate that people are unable to enjoy watching the sports they enjoy because of this madness. I fear that there is worse to come, also. Many of the colleges around me(Pennsylvania) are shutting down starting next week, with the remainder of the semester switching to online classes. Many public schools in my area have even begun to discuss possibly shutting down. It's insanity.

Sad for you that you can not watch your sports and enjoy them.
"We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately."- Benjamin Franklin
"Speak softly and carry a big stick; You will go far"- Theodore Roosevelt
“There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest.” – Elie Wiesel
Illinois Farmer

I feel bad for those seniors that will never get another chance to complete or how much work the coaches and athletes put in to reach their dreams and won't get a chance now. Yes, it is tough on school, but they will resume and still get their education. I hated online classes though that would *censored*.
1300 acre farm, finish out just about 10,000 hogs a year, 200 cattle, and xbox one and pc user.
Deadeye

Post by Deadeye »

Illinois Farmer wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:21 am I feel bad for those seniors that will never get another chance to complete or how much work the coaches and athletes put in to reach their dreams and won't get a chance now. Yes, it is tough on school, but they will resume and still get their education. I hated online classes though that would *censored*.
I live in Northern PA. Actually about 30 minutes from the NY state border. We haven't had a confirmed case of the virus yet. People are doing the same panic-buying though. Schools have been cancelled for the next days and the situation to be reevaluated after that 10 days so it could be longer. The governor has already waived the mandatory 180 day school year for this year.

The pandemonium even in small communities is unreal. I only suspect it to get worse. Times like these, The best course of action is to stay as close to home as possible. My father and I are avid outdoorsman and have our fair share of firearms and ammunition in the house. Hopefully it doesn't become that dire a situation, but we are prepared should that happen. I have a trip to New Mexico and Arizona beginning of next month, and that is likely to be cancelled as I don't like the idea of travelling with people so wound up. We'll see what happens.
"We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately."- Benjamin Franklin
“There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest.” – Elie Wiesel
Bryan83

Post by Bryan83 »

Tell me about the panic buying. I work in grocery supply chain doing store deliveries from the warehouse. My normal start is 0500, but I got called and told to come in at 0100 and prepare to work 14-16 hours. Now unless the Governor make an emergency declaration, I can only by law do one 16 hour day per week. Otherwise I'm limited to 14 hour days, but honestly, I'm fully expecting that declaration in the next week. Especially given that here in Washington State all schools have been ordered closed until 27 April. And you're right, it is only going to get crazier.
Join us on the FS Community Trader. As featured on MrSealyP's Lukahs Island let's play.

Please forgive me, I am but a lowly console player (XB1)
Illinois Farmer

Our governor has just shut down bars and restaurants except for carry out until March 30th. Most of our cases are in Chicago. People are biting like crazy and schools are all shut down.
Farmercaseih

Post by Farmercaseih »

Save your toilet paper haha
lefe1

Post by lefe1 »

smart ass comments or ones that are in poor taste,, everything i posted is true look it up on the CDC website....So your saying the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is lying.. wow ok. i'll see myself out.

CDC WEBSITE Check it out...
https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/index.html
Illinois Farmer

No one said you has smart comments in this thread.
Deadeye

Post by Deadeye »

lefe1 wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:08 pm smart ass comments or ones that are in poor taste,, everything i posted is true look it up on the CDC website....So your saying the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is lying.. wow ok. i'll see myself out.

CDC WEBSITE Check it out...
https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/index.html
As Illinois Farmer said, Not one person here has made distasteful comments or smart comments. I don't know what to make of these statistics as they are government statistics and are often misrepresented.

Regardless, I am of the mindset I don't rely on anyone else to take care of myself or my family. As I've said, My family and close friends are well defended, have plenty of food in the freezer, and the means to survive for a good while on our own with ZERO help from the rest of the country. It wouldn't be a cozy life of luxury, but it'd be survival. I entrust no person with the safety of myself and my family other than myself and my own family. It's that simple. Living in a state of constant fear is just not how I was raised. Whatever happens, it is in the Lord's hands.
Illinois Farmer

I agree deadeye. I think things will die down in a month.
Dairydeere

Post by Dairydeere »

One month later...

How's everyone coping? I understand farmers are not as affected as some, so what are the circumstances rn for you guys?
Dairy farmer, college student, part-time modder, always looking to drive a tractor

Discord Server
Facebook page

Where should you download mods from? Try this! - A Guide to Respectful Downloads and Original Mods

Driving up a wall because my brain turned off the gravity

Happy farming!
Illinois Farmer

Still on lockdown. I have been watching old replays and looked the nba horse game on espn just to get my sports fix. Our governor didn't even want stores to sell garden supplies.
francisbaud

Post by francisbaud »

It *censored* that the mass hysteria caused the shut down of all sports. They could have easily let the games happen but without the audience.
Deadeye

Post by Deadeye »

Dairydeere wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 7:31 am One month later...

How's everyone coping? I understand farmers are not as affected as some, so what are the circumstances rn for you guys?
Thanks for the concerns, DairyDeere. We're hanging in there here in northern Pennsylvania. I'm currently laid off, but god willing will return to work once this finally blows over. In general, in my area the majority of people are still going about their daily lives as best they can. There have only been a little over a dozen cases in our county, with only one death, and the individual had underlying immune deficiencies(Imagine that!).

Since I'm off I've decided that I'm going to go hunting for Spring Turkey season this year. I've hunted since I was 9 years old with my Dad and never had much interest in hunting turkeys, but since I'm off I'll give it a whirl. Hope all is well for everyone else also.