Could these new consoles close the gap with PC gaming?

norfolk farmer

Re: Could these new consoles close the gap with PC gaming?

Post by norfolk farmer »

The one big thing for me that PC has over console is the freedom too make the game what I want it too be via Giants Editor.
norfolk farmer

Post by norfolk farmer »

ThatGuyJonathan wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:56 pm
fenixguy wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:27 pm Start saving up now and get a PC. All this will be a non-issue.

But no, consoles will never close the gap since they are always going to be using outdated hardware. The trade off is ease of use.
There's more consoles players then PC players for Farming Simulator 19. just think about that for a minute. :coolnew: :lol: :search:
What have numbers to do with the question asked by th op?
theSeb

Post by theSeb »

One great thing is that flash prices should go down even more now with the new consoles coming.
Airborne82nd

Post by Airborne82nd »

norfolk farmer wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:16 pm The one big thing for me that PC has over console is the freedom too make the game what I want it too be via Giants Editor.
Right i guess that goes to the question, in that, seemingly you're buying a console that for a quarter of the price of a decent PC can perform as well, the question is to do "what?

I suppose it's wonderful you could play games at 120fps, but what else could all that power offer? In so it seems a bit wasted talent to have all the power that offers relatively little as compared to what a PC could offer. In terms of what we're talking about say in regards to a game like FS.

At the same time though, and i'd have to scratch my head in why Microsoft just doesn't add a Win 10 desktop to their new machine?

IF they did that, giving you access to PC Game Pass, or even Steam (in which they have Steam Machines that do that with even far less power), i'd have to say at that point, it 'could" be a game changer.

It could give you the option to play the console version of the game, or to go thru Windows, and get all the mods and goodies to go with it.

In that i would assume most do not own 2 grand PCs, and that the Xbox could give you even more power than what common PCs offer.

It doesn't seem they're doing that though, and in essence they're charging you 500 usd for a machine that seems impressive, but doesn't really offer much more than what we're getting now in terms of what we're talking about. However, maybe the Devs or Modders for FS may disagree.
Mwal

Post by Mwal »

There's more consoles players then PC players for Farming Simulator 19. just think about that for a minute. :coolnew: :lol: :search:
This is probably true but think about the fact for a minute that the game on console will only be as good as the worst console allows. There more than likely won’t be any better options on the more expensive console it will just look better and load faster but last generation it was already stated that they wouldn’t accept games that couldn’t be played on both the upgraded and original system
wheelmansteve

Post by wheelmansteve »

Console vs. PC is one of those elemental arguments that no one will win. It's like transmissions- I know that a computer controlled semiauto with paddles is faster, but I'm still getting a manual. I know PC offers the ultimate performance, but I like the simplicity and ease of use console offers.
Old fat guy with a day job...
Drmattymd

Post by Drmattymd »

fenixguy wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:27 pm Start saving up now and get a PC. All this will be a non-issue.

But no, consoles will never close the gap since they are always going to be using outdated hardware. The trade off is ease of use.
How is this even relevant to how consoles may or may not perform?
Playing on PC and PS4
CowsGoMoo

Post by CowsGoMoo »

CMDRTAKEDOWN wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:31 am Can only make square maps.
1X= 2 km,2 km, 1 map
4X= 4 km,4 km, 2 maps across and up
9X= 6 km,6 km, 3 maps across and up
16X= 8 km,8 km 4 maps across and up
25X= 10 km,10 km 5 maps across and up and so on.
2x= standard map, 2km x 2km "1 map"
4x= 4x4km "4 maps" 2 maps x 2 maps
16x= 16x16km "16 maps" 4 maps x 4 maps
Let's get some cows!
FS17 a few hundred hours on pc, 920 ps4
FS19 2660 hrs ps4/ps5
FS 22 [ps5] 1070 hrs [pc] 60 hrs
Deadeye

Post by Deadeye »

I'm not a big techie. I built my PC. It works. It plays games. Some it plays better than others, and some not at all. I browse the internet on it. I'm pretty simple in regards to that.

My general synopsis on this is also really simple.

A console that is released every few years with fixed hardware that can't be changed or altered vs. a unit that the hardware(which is ever-evolving and changing) can be continually updated and replaced(albeit for an increased cost)

I don't personally believe consoles will surpass PC's(or even meet them) until console's allow for replaceable aftermarket hardware. Trouble is, at that point, you might as well just buy a PC anyway. The console developers could also potentially release a new console every year or so, but that would certainly not be cost effective.
"We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately."- Benjamin Franklin
"Speak softly and carry a big stick; You will go far"- Theodore Roosevelt
“There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest.” – Elie Wiesel
Mwal

Post by Mwal »

Deadeye wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:14 pm
I’m pretty certain they don’t make a whole lot of money on consoles either anymore and need the longevity to make their money on things like games and subscriptions, unless you are Nintendo and somehow charge 80 bucks for their piece of stuff switch controllers that are junk in a year haha
FarmBoss

Post by FarmBoss »

To answer the OP, yes and no.
Some people have a PC that is less powerful then the upcoming consoles, and some people have a PC that are more powerful.
PC players have the potential to upgrade if needed where the console will remain unchanged.
What I'm interested in, is just how the game performs on the new consoles, and whether they blame the limits of the console if and when there isn't much improvement.
As for mod space on console, it'll only change if Giants can make a deal with the makers. I already know that the console makers would rather you use your drive space for paid games rather than free mods.

As for me, I like to have all the toys so I can play what I want on whatever system I want.
CowsGoMoo

Post by CowsGoMoo »

Of course not, once these consoles are out there won't be another one for years. AMD will have a 5million series processors by next summer, intel just released 10th gen and already showing 11th gen so they will be on 19th by spring....

But then again if I buy a ps5 it won't be outdated until ps6 is made.
Let's get some cows!
FS17 a few hundred hours on pc, 920 ps4
FS19 2660 hrs ps4/ps5
FS 22 [ps5] 1070 hrs [pc] 60 hrs
Bryan83

Post by Bryan83 »

Deadeye wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:14 pmA console that is released every few years with fixed hardware that can't be changed or altered vs. a unit that the hardware(which is ever-evolving and changing) can be continually updated and replaced(albeit for an increased cost)
I suppose you could consider this an advantage, because after the cost of entry (buying the complete setup) I'd imagine the cost of individual component upgrades are cheaper than a whole new machine and, just guessing here, cheaper than the price of a console.

I don't know for sure because I haven't priced out computer components.
Join us on the FS Community Trader. As featured on MrSealyP's Lukahs Island let's play.

Please forgive me, I am but a lowly console player (XB1)
Deadeye

Post by Deadeye »

Bryan83 wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:14 am

I suppose you could consider this an advantage, because after the cost of entry (buying the complete setup) I'd imagine the cost of individual component upgrades are cheaper than a whole new machine and, just guessing here, cheaper than the price of a console.

I don't know for sure because I haven't priced out computer components.
I am not well informed on that matter either. I built my own PC for under 500 bucks. I know what's in it, but I don't know what all the latest and greatest options are. I don't follow the PC components industry that well. The pricing ranges depending on the performance. Some parts can get into the thousands of dollars. However, the old component can be sold used and go towards the new one to offset the cost. I'm not entirely sure how it would work within the console side of things. There's a chance it probably wouldn't. They wouldn't have to be as customizable as a PC is either though. Just a simple low, medium, and high performance option(s) would probably be feasible, all with different hardware. The prices could be adjusted as such. If consoles even did that, they'd gain a lot of ground in closing this "gap" the OP pointed out.
"We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately."- Benjamin Franklin
"Speak softly and carry a big stick; You will go far"- Theodore Roosevelt
“There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest.” – Elie Wiesel
george.earlslight

Post by george.earlslight »

Airborne82nd wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:48 am In short, these new console machines seem like monsters. Would there even be a difference in this game on next gen consoles between both consoles and pc?

Would modders and devs still be under constraints on the new consoles as they are now?
Will we see any relative differences between the two platforms on future FS?
This only depends on what Giants would do, not what the consoles are capable of.
Giants could make FS19 or FS17 be exactly the same on PC and console.
They decided, to their credit, to make the PC version as best as they could and limit whatever feature was too much for consoles.

Next gen consoles will be more powerful, but also PCs at the same period.
They will not have the same potential power, it's unlikely they will ever have.

So the question here really is, will Giants develop the game based on console or PC capabilties?