The choice of future gaming

Aholz89

The choice of future gaming

Post by Aholz89 »

Hello fellow farmers.

I have reached some sort of difficult choice when it comes to future gaming.

I usually play games on PS4 as my old gaming laptop is outdated. I play mostly FS19, Snowrunner, Starwars battlefront 2, GTA 5, RDR2 etc.

With new consoles here, new games and such. I feel I have to choose what way to go.

1. PC - Yes, I know.. obvious choice right? But also the most expensive one. I am in need of desktop with all of its accessories. (I have one in mind, which is comparable to new consoles).

2. Xbox series X - Yes, I am limited to console restrictions. But with games as Forza and Halo (Especially Forza since I am a gearhead). I may obtain one in near future.

3. PS5 - Same with the restrictions, I have all my friends playing Playstation, and all my games here. Deliverystatus unknown.

Any tips? Hitting my head against the wall here.
Came here for information, stayed for the entertainment.
Jalars86

Re: The choice of future gaming

Post by Jalars86 »

Can't you play Forza on PC? I have Forza Horizon 4 on Xbox One and that gave me the option to download it to my pc. I don't know if that's the only way to get it and if that only applies to the Horizon series and not Forza Motorsports? It's worth looking into though. Farming Simulator is so much better on a PC in regards to mods and what you can do with the game.
FS22 on PC and Xbox One
Aholz89

Post by Aholz89 »

I believe so, but then again its 2000 euros compared to 600, (with the setup comparable to next gen consoles )

Edit. There is around 400 euros in monitor, keyboard and mouse in the 2000 euros for desktop.
Mwal

Post by Mwal »

Don’t buy an Xbox, you can play everything on Xbox on pc.
Aholz89

Post by Aholz89 »

My wish is to be all set for when FS22 releases, PC is very tempting but finding it hard do disregard the stats of the Xbox for its price.
fenixguy

Post by fenixguy »

PC is the only choice for simulation games. This is coming from a guy playing on console.

The Xbox one is likely the last console I'll purchase.
FS22 is the best one yet. Fight me!
Aholz89

Post by Aholz89 »

Is there any particullar reason for not choosing the Xbox? Just curious. I am leaning towards PC, but its been a while since last time I was gaming on PC. What I like about consoles is that it just works (usually). I am afraid I spend more time fiddeling with mods and such rather than gaming.

Edit. Wordz
DEERE317

Post by DEERE317 »

Aholz89 wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 5:28 pm I believe so, but then again its 2000 euros compared to 600, (with the setup comparable to next gen consoles )

Edit. There is around 400 euros in monitor, keyboard and mouse in the 2000 euros for desktop.
Wireless keyboard and mouse for less than $100 (at least in US, not sure on EU pricing) and a $50-100 Xbox controller and your PC is a console.
FS15 & FS19 Platinum Edition PC (and War Thunder, Gaijin is way worse than GIANTS ever has been accused of being)
FS Comunity Trader: https://fs19communitytrader.freeforums.net/
Desktop: i5-9400f, RTX 2060, 8gb RAM, 256gb SSD.
Laptop: Pentium Silver N5000, UHD605, 4gb RAM, 1tb HDD.
Deere, Fendt, Claas, and sometimes the rest of Agco.
Airborne82nd

Post by Airborne82nd »

As others have mentioned, PC is the obvious choice, but as you mentioned very expensive, especially now. Not to mention, although controller support is there, controllers don't play as well on PC in my experience. It always feels a bit wonky. So unless you're comfortable with a k&m i'd stay clear.

In addition, problems with games crashing and the like, something i personally never experienced on Xbox (but have on both PS3 and PS4) but happens all the time with me on PC. Mods are also a great thing, but that may screw up your PC as well crashing games.

As of right now, my Xbox One is on its way of passing on. Games aren't reading etc. It is 8 years old, but this time around i'll have to wait for the new Xbox Series X to get on the shelves. I'll be skipping PS this time around being with Game Pass and most my friends on Xbox, it just seems a better way to go.

It is true what Fenix Guy said though, that Sim Games are about PC, no doubt, but i do see many of them coming over.

Construction Simulator, even some Truck Sim games, Demolish and Build, Firefighter, Train and other Sims, not to mention the upcoming Flight Simulator. PC is a great thing, but for the price and the problems, i'd stick with the consoles, and this gen it may look like Xbox is the way to go imo, just for GP and possibly even future access to PC thru the Xbox itself given some rumors.
Aholz89

Post by Aholz89 »

Thanks for that Airbourne82nd, I understand that PC has a lot more possibilities with mods, editing and such. But how stable is it? I like building my own farms and have been restricted with slot count, but how big of a difference will it be?
Feirmeoir Eireannach

Post by Feirmeoir Eireannach »

Aholz89 wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 7:54 pm What I like about consoles is that it just works (usually). I am afraid I spend more time fiddeling with mods and such rather than gaming.

Edit. Wordz
This is exactly the reason I dont play on pc much, couldn't have said it better ha
Illinois Farmer

Post by Illinois Farmer »

Never had a problem on my pc. Download mods from trusted sites and modders.
1300 acre farm, finish out just about 10,000 hogs a year, 200 cattle, and xbox one and pc user.
DEERE317

Post by DEERE317 »

Aholz89 wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 9:37 pm Thanks for that Airbourne82nd, I understand that PC has a lot more possibilities with mods, editing and such. But how stable is it? I like building my own farms and have been restricted with slot count, but how big of a difference will it be?
Same as Xbox (same game on the same OS), unless you have a bad combination of quantity and quality when it comes to mods installed.
I’ve only had the game lock up for me when when my controller turns off/on, Courseplay course creation, and mod errors
FS15 & FS19 Platinum Edition PC (and War Thunder, Gaijin is way worse than GIANTS ever has been accused of being)
FS Comunity Trader: https://fs19communitytrader.freeforums.net/
Desktop: i5-9400f, RTX 2060, 8gb RAM, 256gb SSD.
Laptop: Pentium Silver N5000, UHD605, 4gb RAM, 1tb HDD.
Deere, Fendt, Claas, and sometimes the rest of Agco.
Aholz89

Post by Aholz89 »

But when it comes to PC, I feel I have to get something comparable to these new consoles otherwise I am going to sit with my PC, knowing the much cheaper console will have much better performance. (Comparing 500-600 Euros for console to a 1000+ Euros PC).

Who here is playing on PC and is fully content with the game as is, and with stuff from Mod hub?
ajFarmer

Post by ajFarmer »

I know its bold suggestion but I would recommend to build your own PC. You can save lots of coin doing it yourself and there actually super easy to build.

The parts are are mainly all interchangeable so it is easy to make upgrades. I built my first one over 10 years ago with no prior knowledge and no help other then good ol google. I have made many upgrades through the years. I took my old parts and built another PC for my kids so there still retaining their value. This is a huge benefit for PC.

If you decide to do this my only suggestion is to make sure to use a motherboard that can use i7 or equivalent cpu. This will insure future proofing for decades. The GPU unfortunately is hard to come by due to bitcoin mining but Nvidia supposedly has a fix for this and shortage should be solved by end of year.

If your really thrifty you can find Case, Power Supply, Keyboard and HDMI monitor used (Yard Sale, Thrift Shop)and upgrade the other parts.
Check out pcpartpicker.com to help familiarize yourself with the parts and all the guides.

PC part list
1.Case
2.Power supply
3. Motherboard (recommend intel Z390 chipset /LGA1151 socket)
4. CPU (recommend i7)
5. Operating system (recommend Windows)
6. RAM (recommend 16gb min)
7. Hard Drive for operating system (recommend SSD)
8. Optional Mass Storage Hard Drive (Any cheap HDD)
9. GPU (These are hard to come by now and overpriced)
10. Monitor
11. Keyboard
12. Xbox or playstation controller

My specs These are the main parts to make it go fast
MB- Asus Prime Z390-A
CPU-i7 9700k
RAM- Corsair Vengeance 32gb DDR4 3600MHZ
GPU- Nvidia RTX 2070

Edit: PC only has problems with mods if there poorly implemented which is why you can't get scripted mods on console. Also recommend to only download from Giants ModHub as there tested. Instability is mainly caused by mod conflicts, which is very hard to test all of the possibilities of modded setups.