Tree flickering.

Gafor

Re: Tree flickering.

Post by Gafor »

I had major flickering and flashing of textures until I updated my Nvidia drivers which at least stopped it for a while, but since patch 1.3 the flashing has returned.
It's now doing it in August on trees and hedges all over the map (Calmsden) and not on the horizon but everywhere, including hedges I'm driving right past.
Awful.
Thanks a lot, Giants. Top work.
etlam95

Post by etlam95 »

Same issue. Flickering trees experienced both fall and winter.
MoslessNeo

Post by MoslessNeo »

The last patch don't fix this.
XLFarms Projetcs :this:
Agricola57

Post by Agricola57 »

Yep i also still have it after latest fix.
ASUS ROG Strix GeForce GTX 1660 Ti, Intel i9-10850K CPU@ 3.60GHz, ASUS Z490-Gaming, 32GB RAM 2133MHz, Win10/64, Resolution: 3840x2160
Happy-Farmer!

Post by Happy-Farmer! »

I'm sure this was a problem that Giants had in their patch notes for the last patch 1.4 or a previous update, which was supposed to be fixed. I have the same problems in Autumn with the flickering of trees. I have Nvidia 2080, drivers up to date. I have other issues since updating and even 1.4.1 update did very little. I read on this forum all the time regarding issues people are having and I think it's about time Giants came onto the forum and instead of saying it's for modders to bring their mods up to date, which I don't disagree with but perhaps they could be more honest and admit to the issues that are still broken in the game and give us a road map on when these issues will be fixed.
Brickokermis

Post by Brickokermis »

I have exactly the same problem as you. I bought the game 10 days ago and it has flickering in the vegetation, especially the trees
I too have tried to solve the problem, but nothing works,
After reading you, according to you it would be due to the Season/graphic parameter, or even the framerate, maybe, I did not focus my research on these points, but it seems possible.
I have a dozen mods, I have deactivated them all, no change.
I have a more than honorable configuration for such a game.

With an Intel 12600KF / RTX 3080
32GB DDR4 3200Mhz
NVME SSD

I play on a 1440p180Hz screen, I unblocked the framerate to be more comfortable but also to fully exploit the available power and thus have the lowest frametime (<4.60ms, against 17.5ms blocked at 60hz).
The lower the frame time, the smoother it feels. Since the components (CPU + GPU) are used to their full capacity, there is less fluctuation of frame drops than when the components are limited to providing "only" 60Hz they run more than slow and cause frame drops sometimes

I find it ridiculous that Giant doesn't offer the Vsync referenced to the user's screen value on a 2022 game in the settings

Without needing to unblock in the game files to use our screen 120,144,165, 180 or 200Hz .
Ekan

Post by Ekan »

Is this ever goin to be fixed? Anybody got rid off it, if so, how?
FS since 2012 :hi:
"Immersive farmplay & detail fanatic"

PC: :gamer:
Acer "28" NItro XVO (4k)
Geforce RTX 3070
i7-8700k 5ghz (OC) (3.70ghz)
HyperX fury 32gb RAM
M.2 970 evoPlus (500gb)
M.2 MP500 (150gb)
ROG strix Z370-F
EVGA 750w psu, Corsair cooling & chassi
MoslessNeo

Post by MoslessNeo »

Disable nvidia Shader cash:

Edit don_apple: changed link to youtube video so that it is shown directly in post.
XLFarms Projetcs :this:
BlueIguana

Post by BlueIguana »

I ran into this recently and I was able to solve it with a simple change to settings.

My DLSS setting is on Quality, and I was being greedy trying to get better looks out of the game, so additionally I ticked Resolution Scaling (display settings) and Resolution Scaling 3D (advanced graphics settings) all the way up to 200% -- which I believe renders at a higher resolution and then downscales to the actual resolution of the display. I started seeing the image artifacts after those changes, but I wasn't too sure, maybe it was always there and I just did not notice...

Returning both Resolution Scaling and Resolution Scaling 3D to 100%, eliminated the flicker immediately.
-LLOOLL-

Post by -LLOOLL- »

I am still running into that issue, but after reading all the replies i played around with the Console Comand "framerateLimitFPS" and set it to 25 which seems to have solved that, so it seems like when having Fps over 25 it bugs out?

Edit; Seems to only Partly have fixed that, depending on the angle it still flickers....

Why do you have to be so difficult game...
SteelRodent

Post by SteelRodent »

Flickering is still an issue and it's only gotten worse with Platinum Edition. Running/driving through Silverrun Forest (or any map with a forested area that isn't entirely evergreen) is a nightmare because half the trees flicker, along with the grass and snow depending on season.

Turning all the draw distances to max (200%) and lowering the shader rate to medium fixed it for me at first, but it makes the framerate unstable for me, which is just as unplayable as the flickering. It also caused my 1660Ti to hit 80 C and throttle down, which further hurt the framerate. So I lowered the draw distance to 180% and since it didn't flicker and maintained a solid 60 fps I left it at that. Then tonight when I started the game again I updated a couple mods, and now all the trees and grass are flickering again. I'm in July where nothing should be going orange, so this is extra odd.

Tried messing around with the draw distance again, which didn't do anything. Tried deleting the shader cache, but that also did nothing. Then I turned the foliage shadows off, which stops the flickering as long as the camera sits still. As soon as I turn the camera everything flickers again and only stops when the camera isn't moving. This also means everything still flickers while driving.

There simply doesn't seem to be any combination of settings that permanently fixes the flickering. This needs to be fixed. It literally makes the game unplayable when everything flickers and the whole idea of the trees changing colour pointless if it causes flickering.
sporadicsmiles

Post by sporadicsmiles »

After the platinum expansion the flickering of textures has become almost unbearable and nothing that used to work seems to work anymore. For instance previously closing and reopening the game would deal with most of my flickering problems.

A couple of things I have noticed. In my current save on Silverrun forest, the tree flickering stops if I set "Fixed Visual Month" to be the month I am in, rather than off. This kinda suggests the issue is coming from how the game chooses textures when you progress through the year. However the grass still flickers red on this map when I do this.

The other is that textures on trees or grass do not flicker at all if I am inside the vehicle. Not sure what that means, I guess a lot less things need to be rendered in this view, so it can handle it better? Not an expert in the inner workings of shaders and the like. Maybe someone else can work it out from this. Maybe it helps some people who are struggling with this too.
FarmingBucket

Post by FarmingBucket »

sporadicsmiles wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 9:39 pm After the platinum expansion the flickering of textures has become almost unbearable and nothing that used to work seems to work anymore. For instance previously closing and reopening the game would deal with most of my flickering problems.

A couple of things I have noticed. In my current save on Silverrun forest, the tree flickering stops if I set "Fixed Visual Month" to be the month I am in, rather than off. This kinda suggests the issue is coming from how the game chooses textures when you progress through the year. However the grass still flickers red on this map when I do this.

The other is that textures on trees or grass do not flicker at all if I am inside the vehicle. Not sure what that means, I guess a lot less things need to be rendered in this view, so it can handle it better? Not an expert in the inner workings of shaders and the like. Maybe someone else can work it out from this. Maybe it helps some people who are struggling with this too.
I noticed the same thing regarding being in vehicles but yeah it's brutal. Has anyone ever received a reply from Giants?
KimbaltheGimbal

Post by KimbaltheGimbal »

Deleting the shader cache as Bovrinox said, in a post above this, worked for my black trees, black buildings etc. Thank you Bovrinox.
Last edited by KimbaltheGimbal on Tue Dec 06, 2022 2:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
FireByTrial

Post by FireByTrial »

red/flickering trees with nvidia are not resolved by deleting the shader cache, to resolve those the nvidia driver needs to have the cache disabled in the driver.

this is a workaround only and Giants needs to fix their engine to properly resolve the problem.