FS22 and Windows 7?

alha alha

FS22 and Windows 7?

Post by alha alha »

I honestly tried doing a search in the threads on this subject, and am having a hard time narrowing down the nearly 1000 results (I'm sure I'm doing something wrong, sorry), because I figured it might already have been covered, and am looking for a quick answer. I ordered the CS edition of 22 about 2 months ago, and it supposedly is shipping very soon. One of the things I definitely checked before I bought it was that it supported Win 7, as that is the gaming PC that I'd be installing it on, and it said it was supported.

When I started interacting with this forum near the release date, and was reading thru a bunch of random threads to learn of ppls experiences and such with the game, I swore I recalled seeing something about this, but didn't give it much of a thought at the time. But now that my copy is apparently soon going to be on it's way to me, I thought I'd better check and see if there are ppl using 7 with it successfully, to prepare my system if there's anything unusual I need to do to make it work.
alha alha

Re: FS22 and Windows 7?

Post by alha alha »

Ok, now I'm very confused. I was just reading another thread of a person asking if their PC could run FS22 with its hardware spec, and one of the replies suggested to go to the official page and click on minimum requirements. I thought that might be a good idea, so I just did, and noticed that it now only says Win 10. I'm pretty sure I'm not going crazy, I know it did say Win 7 when I placed the order, did they change things between now and then? If so, has anyone gotten it to work on 7 regardless of it stating 10? Not a super happy camper at this point. And plz, no comments about using 7, thanks. ;-)
Ritchie

Post by Ritchie »

It's windows 10 minimum, won't work on 7.
Xtrememaster

Post by Xtrememaster »

When it would mentioned windows 7 it wasnt right.. Because FS22 can only run on directx 12.. I think they did this because of multicore cpu support, which cant on older versions then windows 10.
Pre-ordered FS17 1x xbox one version, 1x steam version 1x Giants store versionHaving 2x saitek heavy equipment steers (one is here and the other under way) Also pre-ordered the FS17 collectors edition. *thumbsup* *thumbsup* *thumbsup* :chinese:
this_is_gav

Post by this_is_gav »

alha alha wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:33 pm Ok, now I'm very confused. I was just reading another thread of a person asking if their PC could run FS22 with its hardware spec, and one of the replies suggested to go to the official page and click on minimum requirements. I thought that might be a good idea, so I just did, and noticed that it now only says Win 10. I'm pretty sure I'm not going crazy, I know it did say Win 7 when I placed the order, did they change things between now and then? If so, has anyone gotten it to work on 7 regardless of it stating 10? Not a super happy camper at this point. And plz, no comments about using 7, thanks. ;-)
It's never said Windows 7. Not on the GIANTS website anyway. It was Windows 10 from the day they were published.
alha alha

Post by alha alha »

this_is_gav wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:57 pm
alha alha wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:33 pm Ok, now I'm very confused. I was just reading another thread of a person asking if their PC could run FS22 with its hardware spec, and one of the replies suggested to go to the official page and click on minimum requirements. I thought that might be a good idea, so I just did, and noticed that it now only says Win 10. I'm pretty sure I'm not going crazy, I know it did say Win 7 when I placed the order, did they change things between now and then? If so, has anyone gotten it to work on 7 regardless of it stating 10? Not a super happy camper at this point. And plz, no comments about using 7, thanks. ;-)
It's never said Windows 7. Not on the GIANTS website anyway. It was Windows 10 from the day they were published.
Hmm, I guess that might be a possibility, I was going to order it directly from Giants, and that's where I thought I saw it, but then decided to order it 'locally' so I could get it faster :rolleyesnew:, and chose Gamestop. I may have saw it there, but someone in a prior thread had mentioned that it had been on Giants site, but then it was quickly changed when ppl brought it up, but that was weeks ago so by this point it's pretty fuzzy, maybe it was someone else, and doesn't at this point really matter all that much. So, there's no way for it to work on DX11? No one's found a hack for it?
Xtrememaster

Post by Xtrememaster »

Does anybody knows which of the versions of windows 10 will run farming simulator 22 and which updates are not? Should it run on all windows 10 versions?? Or do you need specially updated version to get the game working. (which is minimal to have?)
Pre-ordered FS17 1x xbox one version, 1x steam version 1x Giants store versionHaving 2x saitek heavy equipment steers (one is here and the other under way) Also pre-ordered the FS17 collectors edition. *thumbsup* *thumbsup* *thumbsup* :chinese:
Ekan

Post by Ekan »

No, will not work. Minimum WIN10 / DX12.( Actally DX11, but probably a version of it that's only works with WIN10).
FS since 2012 :hi:
"Immersive farmplay & detail fanatic"

PC: :gamer:
Acer "28" NItro XVO (4k)
Geforce RTX 3070
i7-8700k 5ghz (OC) (3.70ghz)
HyperX fury 32gb RAM
M.2 970 evoPlus (500gb)
M.2 MP500 (150gb)
ROG strix Z370-F
EVGA 750w psu, Corsair cooling & chassi
Azfoor

Post by Azfoor »

Just update to widows 10? 🤔
parad0x177

Post by parad0x177 »

As you noted, the subject of Windows 7 and FS22 has been discussed. If you have installed DX12 on your Windows 7 box, you may have a chance at making it work. But, from what I’ve seen, I wouldn’t get my hopes up.

In case you missed the response direct from Giants on this, over in this thread here, I've pasted it below. Giants seems pretty definitive on the subject.
Stegei wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:59 pm 1. Windows 7 has not been supported by Microsoft by almost 1 year now.
2. FS19 is being played by less then 0.5% of the PC players on Windows 7. There are actually more people using Linux than Windows 7, even though there is no Linux version of the game.
3. There are several technical reasons why Windows 7 is no longer support, with DirectX 12 being the most stand out
4. The major title have stopped supporting Windows 7 even 1-2 years ago.
5. Nvidia and AMD have stopped updating their drivers, so the chance that we would have seen major GPU driver issues is pretty high, even if we tried to implement a Windows 7 version.

So in short: FS22 on PC requires Windows 10 or higher and there are no plans to add support for Windows 7 or 8.
Honestly, your just frustrating yourself trying to make it work when you could upgrade to Windows 10 for free. Even if you are running a pirated copy of Windows, you can effectively do the same with Windows 10 simply by installing it and not putting in a license key. Last time I checked, it would even get updates.
deerefarm

Post by deerefarm »

If you don't register windows you have a notification saying not registered but it will continue to run and update. If you watch Linus Tech Tips they use unregistered versions of Windows on their test machines with no problem.
Secondly Microsoft now don't view windows in the same way they did Win 95 for example. Windows 95 was a major saleable product. Rather MS now view windows as a platform to provide services on and these services are what generates the income. Example, Office, OneDrive and so on, plus OEM's generate a lot of Windows sales. The end user is no longer a sales target for the base platform, which is why upgrades are now free.
Have been playing FS since FS 2011 came out and still going strong. *thumbsup*
Check out Dairy Air Farms https://www.youtube.com/c/DairyAirFarms
alha alha

Post by alha alha »

deerefarm wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:22 pm If you don't register windows you have a notification saying not registered but it will continue to run and update. If you watch Linus Tech Tips they use unregistered versions of Windows on their test machines with no problem.
Secondly Microsoft now don't view windows in the same way they did Win 95 for example. Windows 95 was a major saleable product. Rather MS now view windows as a platform to provide services on and these services are what generates the income. Example, Office, OneDrive and so on, plus OEM's generate a lot of Windows sales. The end user is no longer a sales target for the base platform, which is why upgrades are now free.
This. I want an OS, not a 'platform' where the product is me. I know 7 had some telemetry built in, but it was minimal compared to 10 and now 11. Yeah, you can 'disable' it, but come on, an OS that serves ads? The only version I would even consider somewhat acceptable is the LTSB (now LTSC), because they nerfed a lot of the objectionable stuff in it, but to get it legally, you have to have an enterprise license. Not exactly sure about the phoning home part of it, but that appears to be the closest thing resembling an 'actual OS' that MS is currently producing, to me everything else is just We're the Product.

Crazy how far it's gotten, be interesting to see where it ends up in 10-20 more years, if this is now the new normal. Maybe they'll convince everyone to implant chips, I mean heck, they have already convinced a Lot of ppl of the conveniences of willingly installing listening devices into their homes, and paying for the privilege to boot! Alexa, can you hear me? Yes Dave. Open the pod (garage/front door). I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that. Alexa! Goodbye, Dave...

I can imagine that Orwell must be laughing his arze off at all of this. Or crying, possibly. :hmm:
blue_painted

Post by blue_painted »

@alha alha -- I think Linux might be your friend. I'm sure I saw post on the other Windows 7 thread where someone has FS22 running on Linux.
Playing new "Beest" Intel i7-11700F with GeForce GTX 3060 and XBOX controller
also £600 laptop - AMD Ryzen 5600H with GeForce GTX 3050 XBOX controller

Dairydeere's A Guide to Finding Farming Simulator Mods - Please give this a read and help spread awareness for respectful mod downloads
alha alha

Post by alha alha »

Thanks blue, I'll take a look at it, hopefully it's in the link parad0x177 provided above. And not sure if you follow LTT, they are currently doing a series on Linux and gaming, it's definitely stirred up a bit of... conversation regarding that. I've been trying Linux off and on since I bought RedHat 4 (I believe) in the late 90's (still have it in the box on a shelf downstairs), and have yet to find a distro since then that works well enough, and doesn't require you to be part developer to be able to install and run it, unless all you do is browse the web and do emails, and maybe some office type of things, and of course have hardware that is supported. Beyond that, things get... interesting. And regarding Linus and his experiences, I have to say that I'm getting deja vu all over again watching it, from his issues with installation, to updates and having to drop to the command line often. I really didn't have the desire to learn a new OS from the ground up, nuts and bolts, I wanted something that worked, was pretty well supported in the industry, and that the support community wasn't what they call toxic nowadays.

There were of course some helpful ppl, but more often than not, the snobbish ones popped in, assuming you were born knowing it or that at least you should have been, and pretty much pushed me to the 'I don't care enough to deal with this anymore' place. And I went on my way with whatever was the most stable version of Windows at the time, till the bug bit me again, usually every 5-10 years. And again, pretty much the same experience, it just isn't ready for prime time as a drop in Windows replacement for those of us who don't have a CS degree, or the desire to functionally earn one by trial and error. I mean, if you're doing it for fun and rocking it, more power to you! I'm just not in that place, I'm willing to put up with a few minor hiccoughs, but at this point if a person with the desire, background and resources (yes, he didn't ask for help from his in house gurus, that would be cheating) is having as many difficulties as he is replacing his Windows desktop with Linux, especially for gaming, I can't imagine today that it would be much different for me in following down that road again. As sad as it is to say, for the most part, Windows just works. Maybe Steam will have enough of an impact with the resources they bring to the table, to hopefully have some of it filter down to other distros, that would be cool. And yeah, I know, it's a chicken and egg kind of thing, very few native Linux games, because few ppl running it, and few ppl running it (in part) because of few native games. And around it goes, and has for years, and the situation sux, most definitely.
blue_painted

Post by blue_painted »

@alha alha -- to be clear, I'm not a Linux user, I'm on Windows 10/11 64 bit and apart from a bit of extra outbound firewall, I just take it as it comes.

I've tried Linux maybe four or five times over the last 20 odd years and each time given up because it's just too fiddly, and as you say, some of the so-called sort is extremely cliqued. I've tried Mac OS a few times too, and usually got frustrated when the UI doesn't have what I need and the command line is *NIX and goes on the "life's too short" pile.

But maybe a dual boot "just for games" would be your answer?
Playing new "Beest" Intel i7-11700F with GeForce GTX 3060 and XBOX controller
also £600 laptop - AMD Ryzen 5600H with GeForce GTX 3050 XBOX controller

Dairydeere's A Guide to Finding Farming Simulator Mods - Please give this a read and help spread awareness for respectful mod downloads