Mulching and rolling

CrazyPotato99

Mulching and rolling

Post by CrazyPotato99 »

Hello , i think rolling and mulching not profitable. I want to increase effect from 2,5 to 5% , but idk how. Can anyone help?
deerefarm

Re: Mulching and rolling

Post by deerefarm »

I'm confused you think mulching and rolling are unprofitable but you want to do them anyway? Is that your question? If so mulch 1st, then after cultivating and planting, roll, it's that simple.
Have been playing FS since FS 2011 came out and still going strong. *thumbsup*
Check out Dairy Air Farms https://www.youtube.com/c/DairyAirFarms
mirceast19

Post by mirceast19 »

deerefarm wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 10:41 am I'm confused you think mulching and rolling are unprofitable but you want to do them anyway? Is that your question? If so mulch 1st, then after cultivating and planting, roll, it's that simple.
It's simple, but it doesn't make sense in FS22, in this gameplay. Why introduce new operations, which are not profitable, for which you work too much, time consuming? Ok, for rolling you got some big equipment, it works fine, but for mulching you have the smallest (narrowest) equipment and dont make any sense for me too. They add things for nothing?!
mackintosh

Post by mackintosh »

Yeah, there's little incentive to mulch. It's fine on a small field, but if you combine several larger ones, you'll find yourself spending all your free time just on that activity. And if you offload it to your workers, then is the measly 2,5% bonus worth it? I suspect it is not.
StoneTheCrows

Post by StoneTheCrows »

I mulch, but then I'm still on small fields.

However, where I think it makes sense is when you are putting the crop into a production chain. Depending on prices of course, you can triple the value of that extra 2.5% by converting it into another product. So 2.5% becomes 7.5% - 10%.
CrazyPotato99

Post by CrazyPotato99 »

i meant how to change this in the game code
humbe

Post by humbe »

I've tested hard difficulty and it seems running your own farm is not profitable, only contracting is ;).. The income from a years harvest seems to just about cover costs of repair, seeds and fertilizer.. Or cover the bankloan to afford equipment to use.. Vehicle repair costs seems way too high, and while contracts on hard don't make a lot of income, it's still far more profitable as there's no cost for you. And AI workers are way too expensive to use.

I'm pretty sure that mulching on hard difficulty doesn't pay back the repair cost of using mulcher/tractor to do it. If I remember correctly real farmers commenting in other threads though, mulching grain crops isn't worth in in the real world either. Sounded like it was situational for when you would do it..
FarmerJohn89

Post by FarmerJohn89 »

Doesn't it say 5% for mulch and another 5% for rolling already in the game?
FarmerJohn89

Post by FarmerJohn89 »

humbe wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 1:11 pm I've tested hard difficulty and it seems running your own farm is not profitable, only contracting is ;).. The income from a years harvest seems to just about cover costs of repair, seeds and fertilizer.. Or cover the bankloan to afford equipment to use.. Vehicle repair costs seems way too high, and while contracts on hard don't make a lot of income, it's still far more profitable as there's no cost for you. And AI workers are way too expensive to use.

I'm pretty sure that mulching on hard difficulty doesn't pay back the repair cost of using mulcher/tractor to do it. If I remember correctly real farmers commenting in other threads though, mulching grain crops isn't worth in in the real world either. Sounded like it was situational for when you would do it..
The only time I've seen cereal crops mulched is with a stripper header on the combine which leaves the straw standing in the field.
CrazyPotato99

Post by CrazyPotato99 »

FarmerJohn89 wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 1:15 pm Doesn't it say 5% for mulch and another 5% for rolling already in the game?
Yes , but in fact 2.5% each
StoneTheCrows

Post by StoneTheCrows »

Interesting. So it's only by scaling-up that you make money from the extra processes. But as Mack says above, you can't mulch a big field with a 4m machine.

I've never played on 'hard' difficulty. I should try it. Sounds like a good challenge. Did you enjoy doing it?
GrimHuffer

Post by GrimHuffer »

humbe wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 1:11 pm I've tested hard difficulty and it seems running your own farm is not profitable, only contracting is ;).. The income from a years harvest seems to just about cover costs of repair, seeds and fertilizer.. Or cover the bankloan to afford equipment to use.. Vehicle repair costs seems way too high, and while contracts on hard don't make a lot of income, it's still far more profitable as there's no cost for you. And AI workers are way too expensive to use.

Giants have not given us a well balanced/realistic economy. If you are looking for a more believable/immersive playstyle you'll need some mods. Amongst others I use:

AICost - to reduce AI costs to a resonable level (I've tweaked this a little to give me £20 an hour on hard running x1 time)

Real Life Numbers - adjusts prices of crops, and store bought items such as seeds, fertilisers etc (again I have tweked the numbers to give more relaistic prices for the UK)

Reduce Maintenance Costs - as the name suggests, it reduces the cost of both repairs and repaints. (I went further and edited vehicle/implement files to reduce the speed at wish they wear. I run it around £10 per hour (repairs) for my main tractor (again on hard at x1 speed).

FarmerJohn89 wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 1:17 pm The only time I've seen cereal crops mulched is with a stripper header on the combine which leaves the straw standing in the field.
Yeah, mulching is not done around this part of the country. The farmers tend to plough the land (moldboard/invertion ploughing) and that incorporates the studdle/crop residue back into the soil. That's been the case since ploughs were drawn by horses.
CrazyPotato99

Post by CrazyPotato99 »

It's all good but i want to use all the new mechanics. So there is no way to change these percentages in code?
GrimHuffer

Post by GrimHuffer »

CrazyPotato99 wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 1:41 pm It's all good but i want to use all the new mechanics. So there is no way to change these percentages in code?
I had a look in the portion of data files that don't need to be extracted (steamapps > common > Farming Simulator 22 > data) and I cannot see any way to edit the % bonus you get from mulching (or any soil activity). You will probably need to extract the main data files and have a look in there. I think there are in .gar format, not sure what program opens that, maybe Giants Editor? TBH, not sure, never used that or extracted these files.
kahfs

Post by kahfs »

I would make a script setting these values:

g_currentMission.harvestRollerRatio = 0.025;
g_currentMission.harvestStubbleScaleRatio = 0.025;
g_currentMission.harvestWeedScaleRatio = 0.2;
g_currentMission.harvestLimeScaleRatio = 0.15;
g_currentMission.harvestPlowScaleRatio = 0.15;
g_currentMission.harvestSprayScaleRatio = 0.45;

Make sure that the numbers add up to ONE

It is my understanding that these numbers are weights toward the harvest yield bonus. So if you did not do any of these field work, the yield would be half of what you would get if you got a 100% yield bonus.

I have not changed any of these values in the FS22 version of RealLifeNumbers. Whether the individual weights are realistic or not, I don't know. But, it is a fact that intensive field work on small farms gives a higher yield per hectar than less intensive field work f. ex. with direct drilling/seeding. So if you play on a European map with very small fields, it makes sense to do the many different types of field work. And then it makes sense to get a high yield. If you play on an American map with very large fields, you should do what American farmers do, which as far as I have seen, is much less intensive. The smaller yield on American fields is compensated for by having much larger fields. But, I have seen both Millenium Farmer and the Larson farm pick stones, so do what local farmes do where you are situated.

All in all, I find that FS22 permits this differentiation in a very nice manner. If a new version of Precision Farming is coming out for FS22, I hope that the different soil types will have an influence on both mulching, stones, weed and so on.
K. Henneberg/ArmChairFarming. Author of RealLifeNumbers (FS19, FS22)